Ford 1700 Can't find correct fuel filter-why?

/ Ford 1700 Can't find correct fuel filter-why? #1  

DeanH

I'm having a heck of a time finding a fuel filter that fits. I thought this to be a factory setup on a Ford 1700. I've purchased the Fram, the Baldwin, and from the Ford dealer the SBA360720130, which they have confirmed is correct for tractors less than 30 HP.

The filters look similar, but when I measure the tube that the filter must fit over, I get 550/1000. All of these filters are about 500/1000, again confirmed by the dealer. I push on them hard enough that they colapse, but no go. I could have sworn I purchased the one on there from Ford, but the dealer claims there have been no changes. Anyone got a clue what's going on here? Thanks, Dean

vg5qhf.jpg

b89v29.jpg

/ Ford 1700 Can't find correct fuel filter-why? #2  
hit a tractor supply and look at filter elements on it's replacement bowls.. might be surprised and find one that fits. can do the same if you are friendly with your napa guy.. just take old filter and a caliper.

I had a yanmar1700 that happened to... oem fuel filter housing was changed to one ALMOST 99.99999999% identical.. except a oem filter element wouldn't fit :) had to find a 'will fit' at napa.. then remember the number each time.. :)

/ Ford 1700 Can't find correct fuel filter-why? #3  
Try replacing the o-ring SBA052100100 that seals the outlet of the filter to the filter head. SBA360720130 is the correct filter for your 1700 and should fit over a supple o-ring. There have been no quality control issues with SBA360720130 reported by New Holland or any of my customers in recent memory.
Can't help you with Fram or Baldwin.

/ Ford 1700 Can't find correct fuel filter-why? #4  
I don't have Fram part # here with me but used both NH and Fram with no problem. I did not have to replace the big O-ring on the bowl. I can get the Fram # if you want for a cross reference tomorrow. Are you installing it right. The hole on the filter should face up. I never had to push or crush it twice that I changed mine.

JC,

/ Ford 1700 Can't find correct fuel filter-why? #6  
I had the same problem with my TC18 once. Changing the O-ring as Rick suggests fixed the problem. Whenever I buy a fuel filter at the dealer, they always ask if I ned the O-rings to match. I probably replace them every other time I replace the filter.

/ Ford 1700 Can't find correct fuel filter-why? #7  
Just to clarify my post, I did not suggest changing the bowl o-ring.
I suggested changing the o-ring that seals the filter outlet.

I understood your post. I was not sure if OP crushed his filter and or had fuel bowl leaking out.

JC,

I just checked my maintenance log.

I replaced OEM filter with SBA 36072002 per local NH. dealer. Edit: I actually had my receipt, believe it or not and it says 87300039 on the SKU. I wondered that might be inventory SKU rather than SBA#. Rick might be able to check.

The fram I replaced with was also CG-9271

A HF metric o-ring set for sure would have the filter o-ring.

Last edited:
   / Ford 1700 Can't find correct fuel filter-why? #8  
and they are diesel resistant too! i can attest to that!

/ Ford 1700 Can't find correct fuel filter-why? #9  
If the will-fit o-ring has too large a cross section, the filter will be damaged, as is currently happening. And if the will fit o-ring cross section is too small, the filter won't seal properly, giving contaminants a path to the injection pump. If using a non-OEM o-ring, be certain it is of the proper size.

/ Ford 1700 Can't find correct fuel filter-why? #10  
i re-read the ops message.. and it almost sounds liek the stem is too large?