Seized Drain Plug

/ Seized Drain Plug #1  

Train

Silver Member
The drain plug for the block drain is seized on my 1900 Ford. Any tips here? I thought about putting some heat to it, but I don't know how the plug actually seals and didn't want to ruin it completely.

/ Seized Drain Plug #2  
   / Seized Drain Plug #3  
I feel for you,, I have a 24HP Onan on a Gravely rider, I have NEVER been able to remove the drain plug,,
luckily, for me, there is a second drain plug,, :D The second one will come out,,, :thumbsup:

/ Seized Drain Plug #4  
the best way is to use a 4 point socket or box end wrench if the drain plug is 4 point. anything else will just round off the corners of the plug.. if it's 4 point, that's just a regular plumbing plug, available at any place that sells plumbing supplies.. if this is it, https://www.svtperformance.com/attachments/blockcoolantdrainplug-jpg.1140736/ then you'll need a socket like shown.. BTW, coat the plug with anti-seize on the threads if you get the plug out, it'll make it much easier to get it out the next time!.

/ Seized Drain Plug #5  
I use a heat gun and lightly heat the plug (lightly). I would spray some penetrating oil (WD-40) around the bolt and tap it gently with box end wrench, hammer or something before I try to loosen the nut and put torque on it. if you are going to replace the plug and not worried about rounding off the nut a vise-Grip would be my last go to hand tool.

/ Seized Drain Plug #6  
How about a pic?

/ Seized Drain Plug #8  
The drain plug for the block drain is seized on my 1900 Ford. Any tips here? I thought about putting some heat to it, but I don't know how the plug actually seals and didn't want to ruin it completely.

Is this for the coolant?

/ Seized Drain Plug #9  
Be sure you are turning it the correct direction. Never ever assume a drain plug has clockwise threads.

/ Seized Drain Plug
1700block.gif

Can't get a good picture as the loader is in the way and the tractors disabled at this point. But it's like the one in the picture with the hose but a little different in that the ears are cast and quit large. Looks handy, but not when it's seized. At this point we have it drained enough that the water pump came off with very little mess. The only reason I'd need it loose at this point is if I have to bleed it once everything is back together and filled. The drain on the rad was no problem, but that one looks to be brass.