Ford 445C

/ Ford 445C #1  

runharley52

Bronze Member
Tractor
1990 Ford 445C; 1989 Ford 4610, Westendorf TA-25 FEL
New to me tractor got delivered today. 1990 with 2800 hrs or so. I have a 1989 4610SU 2wd so they’re about the same under the hood but with some key differences.

I liked the lift capacity and 4wd. I have a lot of logs to move and dirt work to do and I felt like I was beating the front end up on the 4610. It also has top and tilt, foam filled tires, and the shuttle shift/reverse options sounded much better for snow blowing vs the gear shift on the 4610.

We will see which one I like to keep long term. I don’t do much real ag work besides bush hogging and some dirt work.

I will order the manuals but I have some questions.

The torque converter lock button on the f/r shifter. Do you use that when you’re at speed? Like a cruise control?

There is a switch on the right side of the steering wheel that I assume is a preheater maybe for cold weather? How does that work?

Should there be float for this loader? I see electronics on the controls but I couldn’t quickly figure out float.

On the right hand side on the motor there is a plug that is taped over. Block heater maybe?

Probably more to come but thanks for the help in advance!

Pics below
IMG_5490.JPGIMG_5493.JPGIMG_5491.JPGIMG_5492.JPGIMG_5494.JPGIMG_5495.JPG

/ Ford 445C #2  
New to me tractor got delivered today. 1990 with 2800 hrs or so. I have a 1989 4610SU 2wd so they’re about the same under the hood but with some key differences.

I liked the lift capacity and 4wd. I have a lot of logs to move and dirt work to do and I felt like I was beating the front end up on the 4610. It also has top and tilt, foam filled tires, and the shuttle shift/reverse options sounded much better for snow blowing vs the gear shift on the 4610.

We will see which one I like to keep long term. I don’t do much real ag work besides bush hogging and some dirt work.

I will order the manuals but I have some questions.

The torque converter lock button on the f/r shifter. Do you use that when you’re at speed? Like a cruise control?

There is a switch on the right side of the steering wheel that I assume is a preheater maybe for cold weather? How does that work?

Should there be float for this loader? I see electronics on the controls but I couldn’t quickly figure out float.

On the right hand side on the motor there is a plug that is taped over. Block heater maybe?

Probably more to come but thanks for the help in advance!

Pics below
View attachment 674523View attachment 674524View attachment 674525View attachment 674526View attachment 674527View attachment 674528

You will quickly develop a love affair with that old Ford!
They are wonderful machines!

/ Ford 445C #3  
Very nice ! Amazing how much is the same as my 1968 Ford 4500. I love my old ford but need to open the engine up, she lost compression in 2 out of 3. Got a Massey in the mean time.

/ Ford 445C
You will quickly develop a love affair with that old Ford!
They are wonderful machines!

After a little bit of play time tonight I can quickly understand why... I’ll warn my wife in advance.

/ Ford 445C
Very nice ! Amazing how much is the same as my 1968 Ford 4500. I love my old ford but need to open the engine up, she lost compression in 2 out of 3. Got a Massey in the mean time.

After reading this I realized that while the two fords are the same year and size, Ford didn’t update the industrials so the engine isn’t actually the same... the sound pretty similar though. Thanks for the reply and I hope you get your Ford back running again some day!

/ Ford 445C #6  
I have a similar tractor... mine is a year older and may have seen a little more abuse. That is a fine looking machine.

You will need /want some weight on the back. I used it to unload 1 ton pallets and could barely keep the rear end on the ground

My understanding is that when roading you use the lockout button to keep from overheating the TC. Prevents slip and makes it direct drive.

The preheated on mine does not work, but on other tractors hold for 15-30 sec before cranking to get a shot of warm air for combustion.

Float on mine is just a sharp push past a detent.. forward. Use it for grading and for snow.

Best luck with your new tractor!!

/ Ford 445C
I have a similar tractor... mine is a year older and may have seen a little more abuse. That is a fine looking machine.

You will need /want some weight on the back. I used it to unload 1 ton pallets and could barely keep the rear end on the ground

My understanding is that when roading you use the lockout button to keep from overheating the TC. Prevents slip and makes it direct drive.

The preheated on mine does not work, but on other tractors hold for 15-30 sec before cranking to get a shot of warm air for combustion.

Float on mine is just a sharp push past a detent.. forward. Use it for grading and for snow.

Best luck with your new tractor!!

Thanks! That’s what I assumed on the float but it clearly isn’t working. It doesn’t feel like it “clicks” into float line my westendorf does on the 4610. If anyone has any advice, greatly appreciated.

/ Ford 445C #8  
Congrats on the 445, really great tractor. I've got two 545d's so I'm quite familiar with the series . Your cold start works with wire that gets red hot and ignites fuel that drips on it when you hold the switch , it's in your intake manifold . If the hot wire burns out and isn't working just thread the old one out and new one in. I use the torque converter lock all the time , saves wear and a lot of fuel by reducing rpm needed to travel . Only time mine is off is when I'm actually doing loader work. As far as your float you've really got to push the joystick hard forward to get it snapped in. Yes your definatally going to want to have a counter weight, I've got about 1600lbs on mine, saves a lot of wear on front trunnion pin. Use moly grease for all pins. There are two u joints on your hyd pump drive shaft directly in front of the engine, grease those two zerks , reach them down in front of alternator. A lock & lube works great here. Great tractors you will love it the more you use it.

/ Ford 445C #9  
The engine block heater should be in the most rearward freeze plug, just ahead of the starter. Should be able to figure that out by tracing that plug wire.

/ Ford 445C #10  
Besides the U-joint previously mentioned, you will need to crawl under the tractor to get the front axle pivot. It is just right of center on the front axle. There is also one on the carrier bearing about half way between the trans. and front differential.

As with any Ford with an unknown maintenance history, you should drain the anti-freeze and make sure to put in SCA to prevent cavitation.

I use the torque converter lock any time I'm driving more than a couple hundred yards (in any gear). The lock can be disengaged by moving the shuttle lever, pushing the foot pedal (same as putting the shuttle in neutral), or by pushing the button a second time. You will want avoid engaging the TC lock at a time when the TC is slipping a lot to prevent wear on the TC lock clutch. Like a gear change, I try to get up to speed, then push the button and let off the throttle about 1 second after pushing the button (expect a delay).

I absolutely love the tractor, but it is a little underpowered for its weight. You will probably find that it won't cast the snow as far as your 4610 did. Same engine, but the 445 has a lot more parasitic drag that sucks up the PTO horsepower. If you're thinking of selling the 4610, I'd say hold off a year. I have both of these, and I wouldn't do without either!