Massey Ferguson 135 Perkins Dumping Diesel in Crankcase

/ Massey Ferguson 135 Perkins Dumping Diesel in Crankcase #1  

tms1962

Tractor
1975 Massey Ferguson 135
Hello, I replaced my injector pump a couple of months ago on my MF 135 with one I purchased from EBAY (assume it is China made). I successfully bled the system and got her running again and thought all was well. I have not used it much at all since until recently when it started running rough and then died. Looked in the tank and found it to be empty which was surprising but I just thought it must not have had as much fuel as I thought it did. Attempted to bleed it again but lift pump did not seem to working right so replaced it with a new one (another ebay purchase). Finally got it bled and running again. Let it run for maybe 30 minutes until I saw fluid flowing out of an apparent overflow tube in front of the engine. It was an oil / diesel mixture. I shut the engine off and pulled the dipstick and fluid started flowing out of there as well. It must have dumped at least a couple of gallons of fuel into crankcase. My research on the web has found possible causes to be the front seal on the injector pump, a bad lift pump or possibly a bad injector. I have replaced both the lift pump and injector pump so that leaves the injector. Any thoughts? Thanks!

/ Massey Ferguson 135 Perkins Dumping Diesel in Crankcase #2  
My research on the web has found possible causes to be the front seal on the injector pump, a bad lift pump or possibly a bad injector. I have replaced both the lift pump and injector pump so that leaves the injector. Any thoughts? Thanks!

A leaking injector can put diesel in the crank case but don't think this is your issue; Reason why I think this is the large amount of diesel going into the pan in a short amount of time. If an injector was leaking, then you should see a lot of black smoke, and if sufficient, the motor may lock up from to much in a cylinder.

I would suspect the injection pump seal

Last edited:
   / Massey Ferguson 135 Perkins Dumping Diesel in Crankcase
Ok, thanks for the info. I have only taken the top cap off of my old pump before and nothing else. Any pointers as to how to change out the seal. In theory it should be ok but again it came from across the pond probably.

/ Massey Ferguson 135 Perkins Dumping Diesel in Crankcase #4  
Wish I could advise on the pump, have not worked on a Perkins, just worked on many other diesels (we need pumpguy on Heavy Equipment Forum). I don't know if its the pump seal, need to have a look. Take the fuel line going to the pump and pressurize it and see if it holds. Pull the pump and look at it and the gears to see if maybe its been washed clean.

/ Massey Ferguson 135 Perkins Dumping Diesel in Crankcase #5  
Only 3 places for it to come from.. Injectors, Inj. pump or lift pump..
Its awful hard to diagnose the inj. pump w/o pulling it off..
Once u get it off, put air pressure, 3-5 psi in the RETURN fitting.. {the fitting by the mounting flange}
& watch the drive hub for leaks..
"IF" its the front seal, I'd be happy to walk u thru changing it out, IF u have a torque wrench. IF YOU DONT HAVE 1, see if u can get 1 or borrow 1 because the drive hub must be torqued back on..
I have about 200 of those seals so don't buy any..
{if your in the US}

/ Massey Ferguson 135 Perkins Dumping Diesel in Crankcase #6  
Hey pump guy, great to see ya

Thanks guys for the responses! Pumpguy, yes I do have a torque wrench and am in TX. When I get a chance, I will pull the pump and do as you instructed and let you know the results. I probably saved around $1,000 from not getting an OEM pump but am apparently going to pay the consequences for doing so. I assume just as alldodge said, it is the injector pump based on the large volume of fuel it dumped in a short period of time. I still have my old original pump that I may try to use as a trial run in attempting to simulate replacing the seal. Thanks again!

/ Massey Ferguson 135 Perkins Dumping Diesel in Crankcase #8  
:welcome: :tractor:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move this thread over to our Massey Ferguson section.

This may may stupid but is it Possible that when I reattached the fuel lines from the lift pump to the filter I got them swapped I have a single filter setup so the outbound from the pump goes to the filter and then there is a liine coming from the injector pump to the filter as well. They have the same style fitting. What would happen if I got them swapped?

/ Massey Ferguson 135 Perkins Dumping Diesel in Crankcase #10  
The lift pump should not be dumping fuel in the crankcase even if hooked up in reverse. In fact there would be less fuel so the motor wouldn't even run