Winter diesel without headaches [Snow PUMP sub-thread]

/ Winter diesel without headaches [Snow PUMP sub-thread] #1  

fitterski

Gold Member
Tractor
1987 Cat-426, 1991 Deutz-Dx-6.05, 2019 Husqvarna 2xHP
I listed the appended (re-edited) items in another thread but I think the topic of winter diesel problems deserves its own. I've had so many problems with freezing/frozen diesel that cannot for th elife of me imagine why such precautions are not standard fare (especially on the hight seas).

I am now at the stage of planning the mods of 2 fuel tanks. They will each have two glass/polycarb windows. On the top will be a smallish 1/2" tempered glass window hosting an LED light, the light will protect the glass and not touch it (using glass instead of polycarb for heat resistance). The 3/8" thick polycarb window will be on the side for inspection. I've found out that nitrile or viton sheet is about the best gasket for such panels. Since I plan to also preheat the tank fuel before start (everything will be plugged-in but powerd on only 1-1/2 hour before engines start) I'm thinking of using the LED inspection light also as a heater to get two birds with one so to speak.

The QUESTION:

The blower will have an approximately 8 gallon tank, the hosting Cat-426 has over 25 gallons (always keeping tanks full is a cold-weather must). What power of lights should each have to get the fuel from a typical -15c up to not less than 25c nor more than about 35c in 90 minutes? The lights will be enclosed with the tank glass so that maybe 50% of the emission heat will transfer even if not touching. If the fuel were water the 30 L of the 8 gl tank 30,000 ML would require that many calories per degree C i.e. 1.2 million kals or 800 kilokals per hour. The Cat would need about 3 times that, 2,400. NB. I'm not sure if this can be done with LED lights of just a few (maybe 4x8) inches in size.

==============================
Diesel fuel ALWAYS has water in it, only the quantity varies with the degree of refining. Summer fuel has tons of it causing rust in tanks and lines and filters. Winter grade is more refined (evaporated), it has both less water and less energy. The water however (mostly in the form of ice crystals in suspension giving the fuel a milky appearance) can cause L O T S of problems.

For my money an aluminum or SS tank is where it must all begin. Plastic could be OK also but it's too fragile on a backhoe which can be a violent environment. I once had the oil cooler above the oil filter ripped off by a stump, triggering the oil horn!

The fuel must be visible for inspection at all times. I'm going to cut a slot in my DIY stainless tank and close it off with a 1/2" thick clear polycarb plate held by a frame and screws with a fuel resistant gasket between the polycarb and the tank. I will cut a similar but round hole on top of the tank for a very bright light that makes the inside (especially the bottom) look like my mouth at the dentist even in ambient sunlight on snow!

the electric lift pump will be fed directly from the tank to which it will be fixed, with a protection plate defending against breakage.

a 2000 or+ watt heating pad between the tank and the protection plate that will be under the pad. The idea is to raise 28 gallons from -30c to +20c in an hour and keep it there thermostatically. The lift pump will feed a small shuttle tank.

If the main tank is not otherwise preheated then a metal return line coiled around the exhaust manifold with a thermostatically controlled selector valve to route the output into the shuttle tank when its content is cold and into the main tank when the shuttle tank temperature is 30c or more. This bit gets complicated but I'll finger something out. At lower shuttle tank temperatures the heated return would replenish the shuttle tank with the rest of replenishing coming from the main tank. In summer the heating coil around the exhaust would be inactive with just a line into the main tank. Another possibility is to use the prestone heater circuit coiled under the tank, etc.

/ Winter diesel without headaches [Snow PUMP sub-thread] #2  
Personally, I would just put winter power service into your Diesel and not worry about it. If you use quality fuel with winter power service additive, a water block filter and change your filters every fall is extremely unlikely that you will have fuel problems.

Aaron Z

/ Winter diesel without headaches [Snow PUMP sub-thread]
Personally, I would just put winter power service into your Diesel and not worry about it. If you use quality fuel with winter power service additive, a water block filter and change your filters every fall is extremely unlikely that you will have fuel problems.
Aaron Z

Around here we have no 'grades of diesel' only 3-4 refinement classes according to seasonal temperatures. That MAY be what you meant? Heating oil & diesel are exactly one and the same product except for coloring added after refining. Unless I'm wrong the only active agent in all cold-weather additives is alcohol costing a couple of bucks per gallon but it all evaporates within hours. I have used it now and then but here's a typical scenario.

Let's say I suspect ice crystals in suspension blocking a filter so I ad some alcohol. It combines with water or ice and turns with them into a water solution which does not freeze. Now a water-separator might take them both out, or it might not. If you're lucky the op goes on without a hitch but when you shut down the alcohol in the tank continues evaporating so that after a while you're back to ice-crystals in suspension or solid ice globs. I've been through every one of these hoops over the last ten years :-(

For a worry free ride I'm going to preheat the tank fuel and keep all fuel above freezing throughout, and to the extent possible I'll do the water separation at tank level with this rocket-science innovation called a drain plug :)))

/ Winter diesel without headaches [Snow PUMP sub-thread] #4  
Your obsession is not a justification for general concern.

Your winter conditions must be much more extreme than here. (banana belt here in S. VT|

I've had no problems with winter fuel and Power Service. Even at less than zero degrees F.

I fuel from 5 gal plastic jugs that sit on the dirt floor in the open "tractor shed". Maybe that's the ticket!

/ Winter diesel without headaches [Snow PUMP sub-thread]
Obsession? Almost if not all of the items come from discussion groups devoted to marine diesel problems resulting from experience in cold weather including tank materials and condition, the inspection windows, the lighting, the heating, the sealants required etc. etc. Very few if any of the ideas are originally mine.

I've been fuelling from 4 drums filled each November with winter heating oil good to -30/-35c but that is going to change to 5 gal. jerry cans mostly because of the physical requirements of handling 45 gal. drums at 74 years of age. This might help too for some reason but is not part of my systematic approach to bullet-proof operations.

/ Winter diesel without headaches [Snow PUMP sub-thread] #6  

Aaron Z
I did exactly this for decades with the minor change of inserting my preferred fuel treatment.

/ Winter diesel without headaches [Snow PUMP sub-thread] #7  
Are the 4 drums stored outside? Drums stored outside standing up are known to suck water in around the bungs. With temperature changes, they will suck water that is standing on the top.

/ Winter diesel without headaches [Snow PUMP sub-thread] #8  
No issues here with my fuel gelling up as long as I use Power Service white bottle. The 300 gallon tank on the stand I try to get filled in the fall for a winter blend. Had a drum or 2 of stuff I picked up in the summer make the winter just fine with some white bottle. Doesn't get into the negatives to much here in Colorado, but I've ran at -20 at least once before I got the big tank.

/ Winter diesel without headaches [Snow PUMP sub-thread] #9  
Around here we have no 'grades of diesel' only 3-4 refinement classes according to seasonal temperatures. That MAY be what you meant? Heating oil & diesel are exactly one and the same product except for coloring added after refining. Unless I'm wrong the only active agent in all cold-weather additives is alcohol costing a couple of bucks per gallon but it all evaporates within hours. I have used it now and then but here's a typical scenario.

Let's say I suspect ice crystals in suspension blocking a filter so I ad some alcohol. It combines with water or ice and turns with them into a water solution which does not freeze. Now a water-separator might take them both out, or it might not. If you're lucky the op goes on without a hitch but when you shut down the alcohol in the tank continues evaporating so that after a while you're back to ice-crystals in suspension or solid ice globs. I've been through every one of these hoops over the last ten years :-(

For a worry free ride I'm going to preheat the tank fuel and keep all fuel above freezing throughout, and to the extent possible I'll do the water separation at tank level with this rocket-science innovation called a drain plug :)))
No, I am referring to buying fuel from a good supplier such as a high-volume gas station that a lot of truck drivers use, rather than getting fuel from a little Podunk gas station that might go through a tank of diesel per month and has 6 in of water in the bottom of their fuel tank.
As for alcohol in the additive, Power Service Red I believe does have alcohol in it, but it is for emergency use only. Power Service White does not (or does not have much) and we have not had any issues with fuel gelling in fuel that we put Power Service White into.
We generally put the Power Service White into our hundred gallon bulk tank when it gets filled up and it seems to be fine throughout the winter even when the temperature drops into the single digits.

My concerns using the exhaust to pre-heat your fuel is that:
1. It will get too hot
2. That you will wear through a line, spring a leak and light it on fire...

Aaron Z

/ Winter diesel without headaches [Snow PUMP sub-thread] #10  
Are you saying that the normal anti gel additives are not providing sufficient protection in your environment? Seems like a lot of work to me...what does your county road commission do for their equipment?

Luckily, I have no need to operate a tractor much below 0* F. We can get down to the -30’s but not for extended periods.

Good luck