Steiner 430 Max Restore

/ Steiner 430 Max Restore #1  

Snowjob

Tractor
Steiner 430 Max
Hey guys, this is my first time posting to this site. My name is Jon and I am from Ontario Canada. I have a Steiner 430 Max I am working on restoring. It is powered by a 20hp Onan air cooled engine. I have tested the engine out and other then it being baked with mud dirt and manure in the cooling fins it has good compression, runs and idles well. The hydraulics in the machine are tight, it has no loss of power when climbing or throwing around attachments. It has just over 1150hrs on it.
First order of business is to get it up on the work bench and stripped down. I hope you guys don't mind, I like to share photos/videos ! As you can see the old girl needs some refreshing.

Nice to meet you guys!

/ Steiner 430 Max Restore #2  
That looks like a nice project. It will be fun going along for the ride with you as you progress.
What kind of attachments do you have or can you use with it once it is finished?

/ Steiner 430 Max Restore #3  
Kewl! I've always wanted one of those. You may also consider posting to mytractorforum.com - lots of like-minded individuals over there too :)

/ Steiner 430 Max Restore #4  
Most of the posts about Steiner are in the Ventrac Forum. Welcome !

/ Steiner 430 Max Restore #5  
Yep- welcome to TbN, Mr. Snowjob, and great photos to start off with! I think I will enjoy seeing this project unfold. One of my neighbors has a Steiner that his groundsman uses to mow with, and they love it. It makes a unique sound- a whine, I'd call it, whenever he's using it.

/ Steiner 430 Max Restore #6  
"needs refreshing" ???? Seriously? Some folks would look at that tractor and say that it's just getting broke in good lol!! Really though, welcome to the forum and good luck with the restoration. Those are some neat little tractors (hint: I wish I had me one!).

/ Steiner 430 Max Restore
Well I got it up onto the bench. It makes it so much easier working on it at face height then bent over. The seat eater still finds her spot! The tractor had no issues climbing right up.

/ Steiner 430 Max Restore #9  
Good doggy!

/ Steiner 430 Max Restore
Ok, Have you guys ever had this happen.
After I power washed the entire machine, it started giving me a hard time starting. I could get it running, but it took a lot of monkeying.
When I turn the key now it shows a drain on the battery gauge, it does not click, or even engage the starter. I have power to the red terminal on the starter solenoid, when I turn the key the other pole on the starter has nothing. I think it might be that my solenoid got wet. I did try to jump the starter by touching a 12V source to the other pole that has no power when the key is turned and the tractor started. I was wondering if you guys think it could be the solenoid or perhaps one of my contact switches either under the seat, on the pto or on the drive leaver is faulty. Do you think I should be able to just jump the safety switches to rule them out? everything is wet in the pics as I am preparing to remove everything.

Here is a pic of the positive wire from the battery and some wires that I assume go to the safety switches.

Here is a pic of the second post that jumped the tractor to run