Oil & Fuel 2004 FarmPro 2420 with Y-380 engine

/ 2004 FarmPro 2420 with Y-380 engine #1  

Frenchman

Tractor
FarmPro 2420
Is there anyone here who can tell me how to check the oil level in the engine injector pump? it is my understanding that the pump has its own oil and is not oiled by the engine. I have found the fill port by removing the vent at the rear of the pump on the govenor housing and I have found the drain port on the bottom of the pump, however I can find no information as to how much oil it should hold? I thought about draining it and measuring the quantity that is in it now. but since I purchased it used I have no way of knowing its status now, whether it is low and needs serviced or has the correct amount. any information someone has for me will be really appreciated. I have three service manuals on this tractor and none of them has this information.

/ 2004 FarmPro 2420 with Y-380 engine #2  
I don't know for certain but u have a good idea to start with..
drain, measure, refill.. just remember, any excess will come out the vent.
MORE is better, in this case..
The oil needs to bathe the camshaft.. & the camshaft drives the supply pump.. The SP is rather large & "up on" the pump body.
so when u drain it, think about how much u remove & consider weather or not its enough to get "up on" the SP lobe..
I hope this helps in some small way.

/ 2004 FarmPro 2420 with Y-380 engine #3  
Drain it and fill it till it runs out the fill port. Usually i fill it from the top venting cap area. That way you can see it start to run out and just put the nut back in and done.

Simple.
Steve

/ 2004 FarmPro 2420 with Y-380 engine #4  
Drain it and fill it till it runs out the fill port. Usually i fill it from the top venting cap area. That way you can see it start to run out and just put the nut back in and done.

Simple.
Steve

That's what I do. On mine there is a separate fill and vent, I just pour slowly into the fill until oil starts coming out of the vent.

On mine the dipstick sticks right out of the side of the fuel pump, can't miss it, so it sounds like it's not the same as yours.

/ 2004 FarmPro 2420 with Y-380 engine
I don't know for certain but u have a good idea to start with..
drain, measure, refill.. just remember, any excess will come out the vent.
MORE is better, in this case..
The oil needs to bathe the camshaft.. & the camshaft drives the supply pump.. The SP is rather large & "up on" the pump body.
so when u drain it, think about how much u remove & consider weather or not its enough to get "up on" the SP lobe..
I hope this helps in some small way.

Thank you very much, the bit about covering the camshaft really helped. Larry

Pumpguy, Thank you Very much, the Frenchman

Quicksandfarmer, Thank you very much, and yes mine is different. it has no dipstick at all and the vent is back on the governor housing. I believe that port is high enough to cover the camshaft as the pumpguy has pointed out. and i really appreciate all of you. everyone is so helpful I am happy I found this site.

Thank you very much Steve, your idea seems to be what everyone is suggesting so I am going with it lol.