2wd vs 4wd

/ 2wd vs 4wd #1  

wango tango

Silver Member
I bought a Great Plains 3P606NT last year. My JD 4720 can lift it but it squats hard, even with the front ballasted with the loader.

I'm toying with getting an open station 2wd no loader 5325. It would be dedicated to my drill and bushhog. I'd use the extra funds from the 4720 sale for a skid loader or mini ex....decisions decisions....

Guessing a 5325 has a good bit more 3pt lift capacity? The one I'm looking at has 4 suitcase weights on the front. The other plus is the 5325 is about 11k and I could get 30+ for my 4720.

I am now thinking that if you need 4wd you should not be planting. Would others agree? Effectively rendering 4wd a moot point for my application? Agree or disagree?

/ 2wd vs 4wd #2  
I bought a Great Plains 3P606NT last year. My JD 4720 can lift it but it squats hard, even with the front ballasted with the loader.

I'm toying with getting an open station 2wd no loader 5325. It would be dedicated to my drill and bushhog. I'd use the extra funds from the 4720 sale for a skid loader or mini ex....decisions decisions....

Guessing a 5325 has a good bit more 3pt lift capacity? The one I'm looking at has 4 suitcase weights on the front. The other plus is the 5325 is about 11k and I could get 30+ for my 4720.

I am now thinking that if you need 4wd you should not be planting. Would others agree? Effectively rendering 4wd a moot point for my application? Agree or disagree?

Agree about 2wd and planting, but will you need 4wd for other work?

Last edited:
   / 2wd vs 4wd #3  

One of your earlier posts, September 2019, mentions you have a CAB JD4720. With a heavy drill on the Three Point Hitch and 2-ply R1/ag tires of coarse the cab tractor will squat.

With 6-ply R4/industrial tires providing more sidewall support it would squat less but you would have less traction.

Which tires do you have? Are all four tires inflated to recommended pressures? Are rear tires filled with liquid or air?

Is tire squat your main issue? How old are your tires?

/ 2wd vs 4wd #4  

Did field work for years with a 2wd tractor. Only have the 4wd tractor in 4x4 to do tillage. I seed in 2wd.

The 5325 you are looking at does not have a loader...so 2wd is fine.

/ 2wd vs 4wd #5  
Wil the front weight bracket accommodate more weights? You probably will need more. Will the drill cover the width of the wheel tracks? Other than that I think you will be fine, just stay out of wet spots.

/ 2wd vs 4wd
One of your earlier posts, September 2019, mentions you have a CAB JD4720. With a heavy drill on the Three Point Hitch and 2-ply R1/ag tires of coarse the cab tractor will squat.

With 6-ply R4/industrial tires providing more sidewall support it would squat less but you would have less traction.

Which tires do you have? Are all four tires inflated to recommended pressures? Are rear tires filled with liquid or air?

Is tire squat your main issue? How old are your tires?

Has r4 with beet juice. 2012 tires.

/ 2wd vs 4wd
Agree about 2wd and planting, but will you need 4wd for other work?

Planning on a skid loader for other work. The FEL on my 4410 and 4720 feel flimsy. Combine that with general clumsiness and I just want to replatform to a much more capable machine. Like a skid loader.

/ 2wd vs 4wd
Wil the front weight bracket accommodate more weights? You probably will need more. Will the drill cover the width of the wheel tracks? Other than that I think you will be fine, just stay out of wet spots.

Yes, looks like it will.

/ 2wd vs 4wd #9  
Planning on a skid loader for other work. The FEL on my 4410 and 4720 feel flimsy. Combine that with general clumsiness and I just want to replatform to a much more capable machine. Like a skid loader.
I hear you.
I am constantly “tweaking” my farming & contracting operation. I will probably have everything right about 1 year before I retire. :laughing:

/ 2wd vs 4wd #10  
JD 5325 is rated at 3374lbs on the 3pt.