Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #13,231  
Does anyone have a HF sliding compound miter saw? My old craftsman I think has given up the ghost. I don稚 use a miter saw much any more but I have a cabin to trim and don稚 want to spend a fortune on a tool I will not use often.

I bought their "best" the Hercules 12" Dual Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw, mostly for my wife, who is a woodworker. I've used it a good bit as well. We are both very happy with it. Lists for $350. Got it on sale for about $299 (?) There is currently a coupon for $330 in the HFQDB database.
12 in. Dual-Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw with Precision LED Shadow Guide

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #13,232  
I bought their "best" the Hercules 12" Dual Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw, mostly for my wife, who is a woodworker. I've used it a good bit as well. We are both very happy with it. Lists for $350. Got it on sale for about $299 (?) There is currently a coupon for $330 in the HFQDB database.
12 in. Dual-Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw with Precision LED Shadow Guide

If you are going to spend that much, may as well go the distance and get a real one.. just my thinking..

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #13,233  
I paid a bit more but not much more. The ONLY thing I don't like about it is the minuscule bat oil capacity and the filler is so small. Other than that, not bad. Comes with an Oregon chain and greaseable nose bar too. I carry a water bottle with chain oil so I can fill the tiny filler without spilling it everywhere. My wife super glues everything.

dawn bottle makes good oil bottle to fill pole saw.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #13,234  
Does anyone have a HF sliding compound miter saw? My old craftsman I think has given up the ghost. I don’t use a miter saw much any more but I have a cabin to trim and don’t want to spend a fortune on a tool I will not use often.

I have one of the Chicago electric (cheapest one) 12 in sliding saws that I have used and abused, basically using it both for framing, finish work, and a lot of laminate flooring. I cannot kill it! It is definitely out of alignment now, but good for framing / rough carpentry. I have had a couple of Makitas that I used professionally, they were good.

I now have a Rigid 12in saw which is absolutely awesome! Very precise and smooth operating. But, that is what I needed for completing our new cottage. An added advantage is the lifetime warranty on Rigid tools, but you are also paying for it with the higher price upfront.

If I needed an occasional saw, I would probably buy one of the middle or top of the line of HF saws for sure. They are decent for the price.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #13,235  
Does anyone have a HF sliding compound miter saw? My old craftsman I think has given up the ghost. I don稚 use a miter saw much any more but I have a cabin to trim and don稚 want to spend a fortune on a tool I will not use often.
Before I buy another HF miter saw I intend to rotate the blade to check the feel of the bearings. I don't like the smoothness of the cut of the one I have now and suspect they're the cause.

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #13,236  

The oil fill on my pole saw is the same as on my chainsaw, just fill it with my gallon jug.

(Looks like we’re kinda neighbors)

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #13,237  

Good thought, I'll try that. The water bottle does ok but it's not ideal. No way can you fill the tiny tank from a gallon bar oil jug, just makes a mess. Both wife and I use Dawn dishwash detergent for lots if things. Dawn has to be the best degreaser ever made. Even better than ZEP) and it smells good too.

Back when I worked on heavy duty diesel trucks at the local Freightliner dealer (before I retired), we used Dawn dishwashing detergent to clean out diesel engine blocks when the head gaskets failed and let lube oil into the water jacket. Oil mixing with AF creates a gooey mess and the Dawn would clean it right out. Used it all the time. In fact Detroit Diesel recommended it. Good stuff.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #13,239  
The oil fill on my pole saw is the same as on my chainsaw, just fill it with my gallon jug.

(Looks like we’re kinda neighbors)

Mine isn't (as other posters know). The oil fill on the Portland corded pole saw is about the diameter of the end of a toothpaste tube...lol and it don't hold much, maybe 1 fluid ounce at most. Very limited oil capacity.

I will say the motor seems to be powerful enough though. Powers right through limbs, no issue. Not sure the cordless ones have that much gumption but then I don't know never have had one to compare.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #13,240  
Mine isn't (as other posters know). The oil fill on the Portland corded pole saw is about the diameter of the end of a toothpaste tube...lol and it don't hold much, maybe 1 fluid ounce at most. Very limited oil capacity.

I will say the motor seems to be powerful enough though. Powers right through limbs, no issue. Not sure the cordless ones have that much gumption but then I don't know never have had one to compare.
The HF battery powered one is actually very good. The motor is strong and the battery lasts longer than I do. I had an oak tree where I used it to cut 8" branches up so I'd rate it pretty high. And the oil tank apparently is bigger with a bigger cap because I can fill it from a gallon jug.