Case 580C won't shift

/ Case 580C won't shift #1  

Shrek2

Tractor
Case 580C(198?)
Hey guys, I'm shopping for a backhoe. I called about one today that isn't running at the moment. The current owner says it was parked about a year ago. He said that it wouldn't shift unless they took the top of of the transmission and moved things around to get it to go. He thought the syncros might be bad. Does anyone have any idea what is wrong. Hopefully it's an easy fix. I'm currently deployed to Iraq and I'm planning to have a friend go and get it for me. Just want to make sure I'm not biting off more than I can chew. I'm am a mechanic by trade but I've never worked on one of these. Any help would be much appreciated.

Steve

/ Case 580C won't shift #2  
That sounds like basic shifter parts wear or broken parts, such as worn shifter arm, shaft ball, etc. The transmission has to be in neutral between reverse and first for example to be able to shift into second or third. If the shifter is worn or broken, and is not fully returning the transmission layshaft gears to neutral, it won't shift into second or third.

It could be a somewhat minor fix (through the top of the transmission housing with some parts) or something that requires a transmission breakdown, which is a substantial amount of work and expense. Of course, if it is the easy version, you still have to find parts. That are in good shape, which may not be easy for a TLB that is as old as that one ...

/ Case 580C won't shift
It's a good thing I have a mill and a lathe in my shop! Prayin for the easy fix! I'm lookin at gettin this backhoe for a shade more than the price of scrap.:)

/ Case 580C won't shift #4  
Shrek2,

We need a little more information before we can help much.

1) Which "transmission" is the PO saying won't shift? The 4-speed in the floor or the FNR shuttle?

2)If it's the FNR shuttle, are we safe in assuming that it's a mechanical shuttle and not a power shuttle?

There are two diagrams attached below, one shows the mechanical FNR shuttle and linkage, the other shows the 4-speed in the transaxle.

See if you can determine which one's not shifting properly and we can be of more help.

Mark

Attachments

• 580Cmechshuttle.gif
    580Cmechshuttle.gif
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,065
  • 580Ctransaxle.gif
    580Ctransaxle.gif
    29.7 KB · Views: 12,760
   / Case 580C won't shift
I'll get some more info tonight hopefully. Thanks Mark!

/ Case 580C won't shift
He said it's the shuttle shift with no clutch and the lever on the column for fwd and rev.

/ Case 580C won't shift #7  
Steve,
If it's a power shuttle machine, that leads me to believe that the "tranmission" that won't shift without removing the cover is the 4 speed transmission in the transaxle. The power shuttle doesn't have a cover that can be removed.

Unless.... they're talking about removing the floor board to get to the linkage or something.

The powershuttle isn't intensely complicated. It can be removed without disturbing the engine or transaxle, so it's a relatively easy and not terribly expensive job to overhaul it if it's the problem.

The transaxle is more difficult to get to, but still not too complicated in its design, if that's the problem.

If you get the machine, when you get back and you have questions, I'll be glad to help all I can.

And BTW .... thanks for your service!

Mark