72 ford 2000 wiring positive post chasis grounded ????

/ 72 ford 2000 wiring positive post chasis grounded ???? #1  

schiker

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 3000, 1972 LCG, JD 5603
My tractor (72 Ford 2000) doesn't seen to be charging the battery. Am thinking of getting a new generator and regulator off of ebay seems a cheap enough fix but .....

the wiring looks a little funny and needs some new wire too. The positive battery lead is tied to the side of the starter. And the negative battery cable runs to the lug on the solenoid.

If I look at a I&T shop manual diagram the short line of the battery symbol goes to chasis ground. I thought the short line of battery symbol was negative. Should n't the positive battery post go to the solenoid lug or is this old diagram an electron currnet flow diagram where positive is considered chasis ground and earth (E) ???? and the negative battery terminal is considered "hot"

Attachments

• ford-electrical.PNG
    ford-electrical.PNG
    189.2 KB · Views: 23,111
   / 72 ford 2000 wiring positive post chasis grounded ???? #2  
All 3 cylinder Ford 2000's were 12 volt negative ground. Many Ford tractors have the ground cable bolted to a lug on the front end of the starter. Alternatively a starter mount bolt is a good location for the ground. The positive battery cable always connects to the starter solenoid.

/ 72 ford 2000 wiring positive post chasis grounded ????
Thanks for the confirmation I thought I was going batty for a second. I have had this tractor for 10 plus years and its been backwards for all this time ( I think). Its been working for all this time but may have quit when I put in a new key switch early this spring. I have been trickle charging the battery once in while and only using the tractor a little. It has always had some burn wiring and previous rewire and taped up wires. The safety neutral switch wiring is ugly.

I remember it being wierd looking at first but you know now I am second guessing myself its been like that so long my memory might have reversed. I may have bought a red cable because they were out of black. And just color matched them at some point then forgot. But I think I would have striped taped it to color indicate my substitution. Dang it sucks to get older.

The starter will work ok reverse polarity you have to change on or the other armature / field to reverse rotation.