Kubota TG1860 Help!

/ Kubota TG1860 Help! #1  

Zeus1

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1700 & International Harvester Cub
image.jpgHi all. Yesterday, I became the proud new owner of a worn out Kubota 1860 diesel lawn mower. I say worn out, mabe not that bad, but it does have a serious problem under the hood! After getting it home, it is complete minus a battery. Checking oil and such, wow...oil is gray! thick gray sludge!!! yep. I figured quickly a blown head gasket as from what I read thoes Kubota 722E diesels were bad for blown head gaskets when over heated. I spent the day and removed the engine. After removing the head, I didnt find what I expected to. It really looked good. Since I didn't find a blown head gasket, the head looks good, and I can't find a crack anywhere for the head or the block. Anybody got any ideas? The engine turns freely and if things look good im gonna do a rebuild and cut some grass with this sucker!

/ Kubota TG1860 Help!
Further investigation this evening, I took my two sons out for some examination work. They are young and very interested in how things work. We took the timing cover off and inspected the timing gears. I noticed a big hole behind one of the gears. Perfectly round. Shouldn't there be a freeze plug in that? My oldest son asked me what that was behind the timing gear. It was a freeze plug! Mystery solved! A freeze plug came out behing the gear cover and that is where the water mixed with the oil causing quite a mess! That means I have a good block and head! We are very excited as we can now plan on a rebuild! Notice the freeze plug wedged behind the timing gear in the photo.

image.jpg

/ Kubota TG1860 Help!
More photos

Attachments

• image-3199972530.jpg
    image-3199972530.jpg
    514.6 KB · Views: 1,797
  • image-2192462425.jpg
    image-2192462425.jpg
    533.4 KB · Views: 198
  • image-4130000951.jpg
    image-4130000951.jpg
    524.3 KB · Views: 211
  • image-3361448608.jpg
    image-3361448608.jpg
    452.7 KB · Views: 595
   / Kubota TG1860 Help!
While cleaning the engine today, I uncovered something strange. From what I was told, this engine has never been apart. So, yesterday I took the timing gear cover off. Today, while cleanng up the last of the gray sludge, I noticed the "timing marks dont match up. Looks to be off one tooth on each side. If you look close in the photo, there are 2".." on one side and 3.'. on the otherwise. According to the kubota repair manual all these dots should line up or the timing will be off. Mathis came like this from the factory. What do you guys thing? should I re align to match or leave it alone. This engine was running before the freeze plug misshap thing and from what I was told, it ran good. What do y'all think?image.jpgimage.jpg

/ Kubota TG1860 Help!
Found out something interesting on these kubota diesels. The timming marks like up only when assembled. It takes thousands of revolutions for them to line back up again. That's good news! I'm gonna order a rebuild kit from my local kubota dealer hopefully next week. I need to check the rear end out next and make sure all is well there then it's a rebuild for the mowing deck. Wish me luck!