73 Ford 2000 Generator to Alternator

/ 73 Ford 2000 Generator to Alternator #1  

dirtslinger64

Tractor
1973 Ford 2000
I want to go from a generator to an alternator on my 73 Ford 2000. The generator is making a horrible chirping noise when the tractor is running. Is this a big job to do? Or would it be a better idea to get the generator fixed? thanks in advance

/ 73 Ford 2000 Generator to Alternator #2  
neither a big job to convert to an alt, nor a big job to get it fixed.

in the mean time, just oiling the bearings could help a bit.

your generator has a worm on the back that runs your tach...

they make 10DN replacements and converted 10 SI with worm drives.. but it's cheaper to rebuild the generator usually.

/ 73 Ford 2000 Generator to Alternator
AWESOME.....thanks soundguy.....I will try oiling it first to see if it helps. I really wasn't thrilled about pulling the generator out. I disconnected the tach on the tractor because it didn't work anyway. the one end of the tach cable is still connected to the generator. The other end is loose under the hood. Would that have caused it to start making the noise? I have just put the tractor back together after a small restoration and fresh paint.

/ 73 Ford 2000 Generator to Alternator #4  
if it's been refreshed.. I' think, personally I'd get the tach working.. but that's just me.

if you can live without a tach.. then an alt can be had for about 45$.

rebuilding a generator can range from about 45$ on up to replacement cost depending on what is wrong.

if just bushing or bearing sand brushes.. it can be cheap.. like 45$.. if the comutator needs dressing, or there is other damage.. then it goes up......

so...

your call.

A lil finagling with the brackets usually makes an alt work.

alts charge better all around and at idle...

alts are not tolerant of mismatched polarities or dead battery jumpstarts.

generators charge poorly or not at all at idle, and max out 20-25 full tilt, but are quite fault tolerant.

if you add an alt, you will need to scab in or repurpose the existing wireing..

but neither are particularly hair pulling.

lube it.. see what it gets ya....

ok will do......thanks again soundguy....i will let ya know

turns out it didn't need oil.....the pulley just needed tightening. I pulled it off and took it to a local shop and he tightened the pulley and that stopped the squeal/chirp. thanks all for your help and advice

/ 73 Ford 2000 Generator to Alternator #7  
loose eh? ..might have been a bit of a loose belt and replacing it on the tractor you got it tensioned better too.

glad it turned out cheap.

/ 73 Ford 2000 Generator to Alternator #8  
Maybe now you will want to replace that Fiber Gear in the rear of the Generator and see about getting your Tach to working. It is handy (for me anyhow) to see where I am in my PTO range and for maintenance. They are not that expensive just be sure to grease the gear every once in a while.

/ 73 Ford 2000 Generator to Alternator #9  
Just in case someone stumbles onto this thread because of it's title and wants to convert from Gen to Alt, here's some drawings that simplifies this dramatically. Excluding the tach drive issue. I replaced the Ford alternator on my 3910 with a Delco I had laying on the shelf. Again, remember, I didn't have the tach drive issue to deal with.

10siwiring_zps90b7e165.jpg127032d1231170336-one-wire-alternator-chargcircuit2.jpgalt wire.jpgalt wiring.jpggeneratortoalternator22.jpg

/ 73 Ford 2000 Generator to Alternator #10  
Maybe now you will want to replace that Fiber Gear in the rear of the Generator and see about getting your Tach to working. It is handy (for me anyhow) to see where I am in my PTO range and for maintenance. They are not that expensive just be sure to grease the gear every once in a while.

i'm not sure his worm is bad. he said the tach didn't work.. not the drive gear?