Fellow Kubota RTV900 owners / mechanics - H E L P P L E A S E

/ Fellow Kubota RTV900 owners / mechanics - H E L P P L E A S E #51  
Here is the wiring diagram for the starting circuit.
rtv start 001_1.JPG

/ Fellow Kubota RTV900 owners / mechanics - H E L P P L E A S E
Just talked to a mechanic and he verifies what you are saying. He says there are three things and I should just replace them all. 1. Neutral Safety Switch 2. Starter Relay Switch 3. Key (ignition switch). At this point, since the RTV is ten years old.

Last edited:
   / Fellow Kubota RTV900 owners / mechanics - H E L P P L E A S E #53  
After wrenching at 4 dealers and 1 independent shop, I always would test before replace while some others may only replace. I hate having "spare" parts on the shelf. Good luck.

I apologize. I agree. But I am confused why it isn't becoming apparent what is dead?! Okay, what do I do to test each? Is it the same for each one? I'll do it. I have about an hour of daylight left. Okay it is sunset. I can do it first thing in the morning! At this point I want to fix it!

Last edited:
   / Fellow Kubota RTV900 owners / mechanics - H E L P P L E A S E #55  
If you are not getting power to the safety switch......those 3 parts won't fix your problem. Retest to absolutely verify. You don't need a ign switch because you are getting power to the big B/W wire at the relay. The relay NEEDS power on the red/blue wire coming back from the safety switch. My RTV900 is also 10 years old and still has all the original parts.

Double...triple recheck that you have power at the safety switch when the ign switch is in start mode.

Last edited:
0216_2 small.jpg0216_3 small.jpg0216_4 small.jpg0216_5 small.jpg0216_7 small.jpg0216_9 small.jpg

RuffDog I tested everything as best I could. My excuse, I am an ex computer person, now a graphics designer, so I do mechanics out of need! That said, here is what I found, on the black cap for the starter 2 --> 4 had 0 resistance (for reference please see last picture). With key not in start position (all the way to the right), what that plugs into, all 4 had 0 volts. Now further testing with key in start position. B/W to Sm Black 11.6 volts, B/w to B/Y 11.6 volts. Shorting the connector above the transmission, both sides, one at a time, the engine did not turn over. I can find no chew marks except one 1/16 of an inch and I taped that days ago. That is where the clicking comes from so that is okay/good. Under the hood I found two open connectors and an open three pronged connector! I am totally stumped. BTW, I am 75 miles from the nearest dealer, just so you know, but that is probably true for everybody!

Last edited:
Okay I FIXED IT or I found out the problem. I want to thank everyone who tried to help, that really humbles me. THANKS! I finally decided to simply short things and I got a really good smaller wire rather than a ten gauge stranded. Started at the started relay. Connected / shorted the B/w wire to the B/y wire and the RTV started on the very first spin. So now I know what was wrong. I have a great started in reserve, a new battery I didn't need and you folks helped me learn A L O T! Many kind regards! THANKS!

/ Fellow Kubota RTV900 owners / mechanics - H E L P P L E A S E #58  
True, by jumping between those two wires, you bypassed the relay and the safety switch circuit. Try jumping between the B/W and small red/blue wire, then start the rtv like normal. Do this when everything is plugged in. Let me know.

True, by jumping between those two wires, you bypassed the relay and the safety switch circuit. Try jumping between the B/W and small red/blue wire, then start the rtv like normal. Do this when everything is plugged in. Let me know.

Okay I did that --> N O T H I N G! So I do not know what that means. Please be so kind as to tell me. Thanks Stu

/ Fellow Kubota RTV900 owners / mechanics - H E L P P L E A S E #60  
It bypasses the safety switch.