John Deere X304 traction drive belt replacement- seeing help:)

/ John Deere X304 traction drive belt replacement- seeing help:) #1  

IowaScott

Tractor
John Deere X304
Hi- First post on here although I have lurked for some time. I would appreciate any help folks might give. I have a JD x304 (2010) and the traction drive belt along with an idler / tension pulley went out. I was trying to find a diagram showing how the belt should be routed through the underside or a guide would be great. I have a diagram from the owners manual but it does not show how to replace it. Many thanks!
Scott

/ John Deere X304 traction drive belt replacement- seeing help:) #2  
There is always a little challenge replace these. You first unhook the tension spring on the right rear of the mower. The 2 steering links get unhooked and there is a clutch rod clip that comes off so the belt can be maneuvered through. The clutch stays on and hooked up. There is a little hoop guide to contend with as well as loosening the idler bolts- which you are replacing both I take? The rest is getting the belt over and through things like the deck left lever, on the proper sides of the guides, around the steering etc. Watch which direction the belt runs through the idler complex and pay attention to the little things and you will do alright.

/ John Deere X304 traction drive belt replacement- seeing help:)
There is always a little challenge replace these. You first unhook the tension spring on the right rear of the mower. The 2 steering links get unhooked and there is a clutch rod clip that comes off so the belt can be maneuvered through. The clutch stays on and hooked up. There is a little hoop guide to contend with as well as loosening the idler bolts- which you are replacing both I take? The rest is getting the belt over and through things like the deck left lever, on the proper sides of the guides, around the steering etc. Watch which direction the belt runs through the idler complex and pay attention to the little things and you will do alright.

Thanks for the advice. I am replacing both the flat and v tension pulleys as well since one was wrecked. Does anyone have a picture of how the belt is supposed to be routed in the frame area? I was going to buy a technical manual online but really don't need if I can see how it's routed. I may just go to the local dealer and see if I can take some pictures of one there. Do you know if the belt is directional? Once I get it back together I will post pictures and some steps:)
Thanks again
Scott

/ John Deere X304 traction drive belt replacement- seeing help:)
My internet is molasses tonight. Should you search online, use X300 as a search term and you will likely get more results. This looks promising. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ating/290265-x300-drive-belt-replacement.html

That link might have given me the clue I need. Here is a picture from the local dealer that had a used one I took pictures from. Note the red line is what I am trying to get around. This must be the deck lock? Mine is currently either all the way down or all the way up. It appeared that did not move but looking at the x300 picture posted earlier it shows that has a hook at the end (picture 2) and if I pull the spring off I can then thread the belt over it and I am home free! Going to test it in a few hours and will let you know. Thanks for the research!!

Post.png

This is the picture shown from the manual you posted- it shows that same post but in an "open" position. This is what I need to actuate. I drew some rough lines in there but think this is exactly what I needed.
threading.png

More to come.
Scott

/ John Deere X304 traction drive belt replacement- seeing help:) #6  
Pardon me if my coffee isn't quite up to it's job this morning. Basically manipulating either the deck lever or the clutch possibly is what you need to do to loop the belt above. There are different serial breaks in the manual for instructions, and though I've done both- I don't ever recall needing to remove that additional spring. I see in the one pic that the steering gear comes out which would be unnecessary. One can do either end of the drag links to get the belt over. When you are done, look down through the frame from above at the front guides to ensure that the belt is inside those. It's a better view. (Just ahead of the steering)