John Deere 212 throwing deck drive belt

/ John Deere 212 throwing deck drive belt #1  

chazdo2

Bronze Member
Tractor
walk behing power drive 21
Any help out there why my 212 keeps throwing the deck drive belt? New John Deere belt deck pulleys and spindles spin freely. Please help

/ John Deere 212 throwing deck drive belt #2  
Turn the deck upside down and make certain the tips of each end of each blade meet at the same height to make certain nothing is bent.

If this checks out, the problem is usually in the arm supporting the tensioner pulley.

The arm pivots on a shoulder washer like this but with the big diameter of the washer facing up.

41CatSg.jpg

The smaller diameter of the shoulder washer is hidden from view. It wears or breaks up and now the motion of the tensioner pulley is not in line with all the other pulleys and the belt comes off.

Sometimes, if the hole in the arm is too worn to fit tightly on the shoulder washer, you have two choices. Buy a new arm which seems quite expensive or find a larger shoulder washer and drill out the hole in the arm. If you can weld you can re work the hole to fit snugly. It is a location that should be lubed but rarely is.

This image is of a Cub cadet deck to show you the location of the shoulder washer but most decks are similar.

lHkaOoP.jpg

Dave M7040

/ John Deere 212 throwing deck drive belt
I did not explain it correctly. The belt that goes from the pto to drive the deck is the one that gets thrown. Do you have any reason for that. I have a feeling you do because of the in depth answer here. Thank you very much for this info also!

/ John Deere 212 throwing deck drive belt #4  
I cannot seem to find any parts diagram for a JD 212 garden tractor. could there be a much longer model number?
Is the clutch to engage the drive to the mower deck an electric clutch or a lever and pulley system?
Posting some photos would be a big help in understanding what is happening.

Dave M7040

/ John Deere 212 throwing deck drive belt #5  
Any help out there why my 212 keeps throwing the deck drive belt? New John Deere belt deck pulleys and spindles spin freely. Please help

Are you sure you are throwing it and it's not falling off when disengaged. If the belt supports aren't adjusted properly that will happen. BTDT Never had a machine "throw" a belt and I have/had many.

/ John Deere 212 throwing deck drive belt #6  
Is it possible you are talking about a walk behind mower that has driven wheels so you don't have to push it?

Dave M7040

/ John Deere 212 throwing deck drive belt #7  
Look at alignment of the belt on the pulleys and the tension. See if the pulleys are all solid on their shays. Check to make sure it's the right belt. Make sure all the guards & guides are in place properly.

Also check for proper belt installation.

/ John Deere 212 throwing deck drive belt #8  
Is this anything like the X300 that was 'yours' then turned out to be owned by a small-man-neighbour? :confused3:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/parts-repairs/383792-john-deere-x-300-parts.html

(We never did hear what was the final diagnosis to that problem.) :confused:

The JD 212 is an older machine in the 200 series of 210, 212, 214, 216, 218 all with Horizontal crankshaft ''K300' series engines. The last 2 digits were the HP size of the engine fitted. I suspect we may be looking at the 12 hp version if that is the case?

212 restored (1989) - Google images:

212 restored.jpg

With side cover removed the PTO drive is visible:

212.JPG

The PTO drive Tensioner is of this form:

PTO Belt Drive.jpg

Mower Belt Tensioner MP3202_________UN01JAN94.gif

The PTO control is of the Lever/rod type in two forms for S/n 0-8000 and 8000-190000 then Electric PTO clutch from 190001>

Pretty cool old ride-on's as (according to the the Parts List) they had the option of a fitted radio! :cool:

MP4826_________UN01JAN94.gif

How one would hear it over a K300 Kohler I don't know.

Last edited: