1 Wire Alternator

/ 1 Wire Alternator #1  

PaulWinLA

Tractor
Mitsubishi MT 225 FD
Anyone replaced the alternator on a 1976 Ford 3600 tractor with a 1 or 3 wire alternator? If so, what was it and where did it come from. As a last resort, can anyone tell me how to wire the normal alternator as mine has loose wires hanging everywhere and the alternator is dead.

/ 1 Wire Alternator #2  
Re: 1 wire alternator

bring your alternator to an auto parts store, and match up the mountings. you can install a much larger alternator amps wise that way.. both 1 wire and 3 wire have a built in regulator, which is good.. you can take a look here. https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/parts-repairs/133835-my-1-wire-alternator-experience.html you are much better off using a 3 wire alternator, since the feild can be energized by the battery, instead of needing to be spun at a high RPM to get the field excited!.. also, you can have the charge light working!.. you can use a 10si or 12si alternator..

Last edited:
   / 1 Wire Alternator #3  

Here is a web site with considerable information on electrical and wiring for automotive uses it will cross over for tractors quite well.
It will also inform you of the correct wiring for various alternators and the issues with one wire alternators.
Good Luck
MadElectrical.com - Electrical Tech

/ 1 Wire Alternator #4  

Here is a web site with considerable information on electrical and wiring for automotive uses it will cross over for tractors quite well.
It will also inform you of the correct wiring for various alternators and the issues with one wire alternators.
Good Luck
MadElectrical.com - Electrical Tech

Good site, came in here to post it.

/ 1 Wire Alternator #5  

I would suggest if your charge light is working that you strongly consider a 3 wire Delco 10SI conversion. A functional charge indicator light is not a bad thing, and as suggested, the alternator gets an immediate and reliable excitation.

/ 1 Wire Alternator

Thank you, I will try it.

/ 1 Wire Alternator

Thanks, a friend gave me an alternator 10SI, but it will not fit on my tractor, so I am in the process of going back with the type that came installed on the tractor.

/ 1 Wire Alternator

I find there are too many issues with that, I would lose my tachometer for one and it would be hard to get the right pulley and correctly sized holes for the mounting bolts. Thanks anyway.

/ 1 Wire Alternator #10  
Many areas have local shop that can repair alternators and starters.
Sometimes a goggle local search will find them.