3-Point Hitch Quick Hitch won't fit on my XR4140

/ Quick Hitch won't fit on my XR4140 #1  

ColoradoBound

Bronze Member
Tractor
LS XR4140HC
I got a new quick hitch and it won't fit on the 3-point arms. The ball (don't know the correct term) at the end of the 3-point arm is too wide to fit in the "pocket" on the back of the quick hitch. Has anyone else had this issue? If so how did you fix it?

/ Quick Hitch won't fit on my XR4140 #2  
I have a HF quick hitch on my XR3037HC (same lower arms). What hitch did you buy?
Are the balls turned? They have to be turned so the pins will go through.

/ Quick Hitch won't fit on my XR4140 #3  
I would contact LS and ask that they supply industry standard hitch arms.
If the balls will not fit the QH,, they will not fit any 3 point attachment.

/ Quick Hitch won't fit on my XR4140
The quick hitch came from Tool-Tuff and seems to be built like a tank.

The balls fit all my 3-point implements fine.

They are not turned. The issue is not getting the pins in, it is getting the balls in the "pocket". They are just too wide to fit.

/ Quick Hitch won't fit on my XR4140 #5  
Sounds like Tool-Tuff messed up on building the hitch. Is there any way to spread the pocket so they fit. Their site claims its the same hitch sold at TSC stores.

/ Quick Hitch won't fit on my XR4140 #6  
You have me confused. All quick hitches that I'm familiar with will fit the existing "balls" in the ends of your lower arms. The pins that come with the quick hitch do not require you to change the balls. You buy a Cat1 quick hitch and it fits the existing balls. If you have a Cat2 hitch on your tractor, you buy a Cat2 quick hitch. Why are you trying to "get the balls in the pocket"? Are you trying to make a Cat2 quick hitch fit your Cat1 tractor 3 point hitch?? A picture would help me I think.

Let me see if I can explain what I am talking about.

The pins that came with the quick hitch fit in the holes in the balls just fine but on the quick hitch itself the balls fit between to metals plates on the quick hitch and then the pins go though those plates and the holes in the balls. The balls won't fit between the 2 metal plates on the quick hitch.

I don't know if the balls are a bit wider than normal or if the quick hitch "pocket" is a bit narrower than normal.

Sounds like Tool-Tuff messed up on building the hitch. Is there any way to spread the pocket so they fit. Their site claims its the same hitch sold at TSC stores.

I would like to spread the pockets a bit but I'm not sure what to use. The metal is pretty heavy gauge and I'm not sure it I have anything strong enough to spread it.

/ Quick Hitch won't fit on my XR4140 #9  
You have me confused. All quick hitches that I'm familiar with will fit the existing "balls" in the ends of your lower arms. The pins that come with the quick hitch do not require you to change the balls. You buy a Cat1 quick hitch and it fits the existing balls. If you have a Cat2 hitch on your tractor, you buy a Cat2 quick hitch. Why are you trying to "get the balls in the pocket"? Are you trying to make a Cat2 quick hitch fit your Cat1 tractor 3 point hitch?? A picture would help me I think.

His tractor is Cat I. Even if he bought a Cat II hitch by accident it would still fit the 3 pt. but the QH lower mount holes would be larger than his Cat I pins. I'd like to see a pic of his QH too. It wouldn't be the first time the builder messed up. I had to rebuild the first QH I bought from HF because it wasn't wide enough to fit Cat I implements. I think they sold me a mis labelled Cat 0 hitch.

If the balls are are only lacking 1/16" of going into the QH it seems like you have 3 choices. Exchange the hitch for one that fits, sell it and buy a different brand QH, grind 1/16" off the lower arm balls so it will fit in the improperly built QH.

Last edited: