Vintage *play* tractor advice

/ Vintage *play* tractor advice #21  
I love old things.....on a nice day taking my 1971 Chevy to town makes my day. Ive driven it on 5K mile trips and had a blast.

I love tractors

Maybe Id love an old tractor.

Currently I have all new stuff, tractors, excavator, skid loaders etc.

I *THINK* I want an older tractor to play around with, tractor rides, hay rides etc.

My list of importance (and I admit I know NOTHING about older tractors so I may be way off on some of these)

small (I have a 40x60 building but its full of work equipment, I dont want anything to set outside so it need to be a small older tractor)
common (dont want to be scrounging parts till the ends of the earth)
electric start (dont want anything old enough that doesnt have electric start)

I *THINK* I want a diesel motor.....as all my other stuff is diesel but its not a big deal either way. Tell me more.

Kinda been looking at a Farmall Cub Lo Boy but maybe Im off base.

HELP?

I think it's a disease called hoarding, it's genetic and probably terminal. Don't feel bad everyone does it to a certain extent. Asking for help on these forums is like an alcoholic asking for help from the bartender.

/ Vintage *play* tractor advice #22  
If hay rides are in the forecast, make sure the brakes are good on whatever you choose. The old ones all had mechanical brakes. My Ford 9N always had terrible brakes! :eek:

/ Vintage *play* tractor advice #23  
If hay rides are in the forecast, make sure the brakes are good on whatever you choose. The old ones all had mechanical brakes. My Ford 9N always had terrible brakes! :eek:

My Ford 8N still does have poor brakes.
It will be 70 years old in January.
I don't use it, but can't quite bear to part with it.

/ Vintage *play* tractor advice #24  
My Ford 8N still does have poor brakes.
It will be 70 years old in January.
I don't use it, but can't quite bear to part with it.

Agreed... NO BRAKES! Once the seals get leaky, no brakes....:eek:

We used to pull loaded hay wagons on some slopes with ours... not for the faint of heart... The JD B had quite a bit more low end torque, hand clutch and excellent brakes... Always wanted to own another one, just don't want to farm, or pay to have the motor rebuilt...

I have heard some horror stories about the cylinders getting badly egg shaped and unrepairable because of the design....

/ Vintage *play* tractor advice #25  
I have a picture of 22 people on a hay ride pulled by an old JD. I would post it here but it might get me banned. The people are all women and they're all naked. :laughing:

/ Vintage *play* tractor advice #26  
I have a picture of 22 people on a hay ride pulled by an old JD. I would post it here but it might get me banned. The people are all women and they're all naked. :laughing:

I have seen that picture, but don't have it myself.
Take a risk......SHARE with others!
If you don't post the picture ...."it didn't happen".

/ Vintage *play* tractor advice #27  
Naw. It's not for mixed company on a tractor forum. The fact you've seen it should be proof enough it exists. ;)

/ Vintage *play* tractor advice #28  
We once put together a hay ride. Apparently some critter had made a home in those bales, mites or chiggers (red bugs). A few days later I asked a buddy if he had been bit, he said no but his wife had - 44 times right on the butt. He said he counted them out loud as he applied calamine lotion. His wife did not think it was so funny. :rolleyes:

/ Vintage *play* tractor advice #29  
Naw. It's not for mixed company on a tractor forum. The fact you've seen it should be proof enough it exists. ;)

Never bring up something and then not confirm it. Makes you look cheap.

/ Vintage *play* tractor advice #30  
I love old things.....on a nice day taking my 1971 Chevy to town makes my day. Ive driven it on 5K mile trips and had a blast.

I love tractors

Maybe Id love an old tractor.

Currently I have all new stuff, tractors, excavator, skid loaders etc.

I *THINK* I want an older tractor to play around with, tractor rides, hay rides etc.

My list of importance (and I admit I know NOTHING about older tractors so I may be way off on some of these)

small (I have a 40x60 building but its full of work equipment, I dont want anything to set outside so it need to be a small older tractor)
common (dont want to be scrounging parts till the ends of the earth)
electric start (dont want anything old enough that doesnt have electric start)

I *THINK* I want a diesel motor.....as all my other stuff is diesel but its not a big deal either way. Tell me more.

Kinda been looking at a Farmall Cub Lo Boy but maybe Im off base.

HELP?

Just sold our 71 Chevy half ton 4x4. We had a '72 deluxe for 30 years and drove it everywhere. It went to a friend.

My choice in an old tractor is as late a model JD B as you can find. $2500 will buy a very nice one, Every part is available and not expensive. They last forever and are easy to work on. There were a ton of options - ranging from fenders to power steering. Fully Independent PTO and the best 3pt hitch ever built. Heavy steel and quality cast iron. Near as I can tell, every option is compatible with every B ever made.
Even the wide front is interchangeable with the tricycle. Nice seat. quality umbrella, 12 volt electrics.
Lots of literature.
There is somethng heroic about a gas engine that makes its max power at 1200 RPM & pulls reliably at 200 RPM.
The engine exhaust note is unique and unmistakeable. The engine mechanicals are super quiet.
10,000 hrs is not uncommon on the engine. Ours has 12000+ and when I tore it down for inspection, everything measured nominal. Cleaned it up and put it back together with new valves, guides, rings, and gaskets...
rScotty