John Deere JS63D mower

/ John Deere JS63D mower #1  

cobracnvt

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320 and 345
I inherited a John Deere self propelled walk behind mower and I was wondering what the background on this model is.

I've searched the web and can't find much on the "D" model with a build date of 060601.

It starts and runs fine. It has a 6.5 HP engine and the collection bag is in decent shape.

The problem is that it needs new cables and has a broken wheel, so the parts would be over $100.

I've seen mention of Home Depot here and there, but nothing definitive. Was this sold at the dealer, or is this a Home Depot model?

Is this a good lawn mower worth the investment to fix it up and refresh it?

Attachments

• john_deere_js63d.jpg
    john_deere_js63d.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 72
   / John Deere JS63D mower #2  
Basically it was to show what version/option of the mower it is, from what JDParts shows it seems to mean it came w/o the bagger, and
only was a side discharge

Example: GXJS63D010001
GX- Factory Designation (Greeneville Works) JS63- Model Or Machine Designation
JS63 21-Inch Walk-Behind Mower
D- Configuration Code (For Factory Use Only)
100001- Serial Number

/ John Deere JS63D mower #3  
It isn't a bad mower. Especially if you like Snapper mowers, as that was who made it. They put a lot of grass in bag, likely could get a Ninja blade kit for it should you like to mulch. Cables are an issue. Would a Snapper dealer have the parts for a few $$ less?

/ John Deere JS63D mower #4  
Which wheel do your need to replace?

Which cables need replacing ?

Richard

/ John Deere JS63D mower
Great info, thanks for the replies!

Richard001, the front left wheel hub is completely broken off the wheel, so it's wobble city. It's $35 for a new John Deere wheel.

The handle was folded at some point without positioning the cables correctly. It stretched the cables and broke the outer casing on the all three cables, (Engine run, gear selection, and the clutch engagement cable). They are about $30-$35 each.

The clutch cable broke where it attaches to the handle, but it's been hacked back together with a small clamp and some solder. It's sort of working. Since it has a strong spring on the other end of the cable, to hold the clutch under tension to make the mower move, I'm sure that will break soon.

I don't mind putting some money into it if the general consensus is that it's a decent mower. I never looked into this mower when JD was selling it, so I don't know what it's worth.

/ John Deere JS63D mower #6  
Yep, your right, JD is asking a lot of money for such simple cables. Here is my thoughts. I would take the cables you need to a lawn mower repair or supply shop and ask if they can find a substitute part that will work.

As far as the wheel, I did see some good deals on Amazon for that. But you could also just take the wheel and the axle bolt to your local Home Depot or Lowes and match up a generic wheel.

However, you will need to solve the cable issues first.

You could also look on your local Craigslist and see if someone is just giving away a JD mower that is like yours. Could be a good source of parts.

Richard

/ John Deere JS63D mower #7  
Engine runs good, and for $100 you have a good lawn mower.. maybe compare that to buying a used one for $100 that involves a risk.
Weigh that with how badly you need a lawn mower at the moment.
I'd be happy, I think, if just that the parts are available to purchase in this "throw away" today society.