CDC lifts mask restrictions for those fully vaccinated

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / CDC lifts mask restrictions for those fully vaccinated #71  
Tell that to the 183 people hospitalized and 56 people that have died from Covid in my stateafter being fully vaccinated a minimum of 14 days before testing positive and no positive test in the prior 45 days.

I'd guess that Larry C's statement was intended to be in reference to folks who are not immune-compromised.

That 56 is just a hair below 1% of the Covid deaths since January 1, and they post the new numbers on Wednesdays, and that percentage has been increasing about .3% per week.

That could be because overall COVID deaths are decreasing, while those who are seriously immune-compromised may still have substantial risk.

Kinda hard to lay that entirely on the vaccine, when the compromised state of their immune systems seem to be playing a role.

/ CDC lifts mask restrictions for those fully vaccinated #72  
Medical errors are the 3rd largest cause of death in the USA (before COVID).

Kill 250,000 folks per year.

Never heard a peep about that before.

MoKelly

IMG_1420.JPG

/ CDC lifts mask restrictions for those fully vaccinated #73  
I'd guess that Larry C's statement was intended to be in reference to folks who are not immune-compromised.

That could be because overall COVID deaths are decreasing, while those who are seriously immune-compromised may still have substantial risk.

Kinda hard to lay that entirely on the vaccine, when the compromised state of their immune systems seem to be playing a role.
There is nothing in the statistics that mentions immune compromised, and the daily number of new cases or the daily number of deaths has remained unchanged since before they started vaccinating in my state. The only thing that has changed is the number of Covid patients that are being hospitalized. Would be nice to see the number of vaxed Covid patients compared to non vaxed Covid patients, but they are not tracking breakthrough Covid patients that are not hospitalized.

/ CDC lifts mask restrictions for those fully vaccinated #74  
Going to put all my replies in one place. For context, I work in a busy ED in a large southeast medical center.

Huh, I resumed activities before this fiasco even started without wearing a mask. Can count on one hand how many times I wore a mask in the last year-ish.

Just like my local Menards does. Claim to be vaccinated to get out of their stupid mask policy, they demand to see your card stating you've had the vaccine.

It died, you didn't hear?

Well, when you stop testing for the flu the numbers are destined to drop considerably. When's the last time you heard of ANYONE getting the flu test since this stuff started? Flu numbers would be at normal rate if the C19 test worked for both Flu and C19, but they're only looking for one thing, C19 numbers.

I know right, so glad something else with a 95% survival rate is gone!

In our ER, almost every patient who got a COVID test (who was symptomatic) also got a Respiratory Viral Panel test. This test checks for multiple respiratory viruses all at once, including Flu A and B. We saw almost NO flu this year. We may still be in the single digits of positive flu tests out of 10's of thousands of tests.

That's not going to happen. That "card" is part of your medical records. No one can just ask to see it without a release from you. And it's not a form of ID.

There's a whole slue of Constitutional reasons why you don't need to prove anything. Of course, businesses don't have to let you in the door either. :giggle:

Anyone can ask to see your medical record. The thing about HIPAA is that it only applies to certain entities. It also doesn't apply AT ALL to you disclosing your medical information. The only real restrictions that non-covered entities have on asking about your medical information concerns the ADA not HIPAA. If you have a disability, you may be asked to provide your restrictions and necessary accommodations but may not be required to disclose the exact reason for your restrictions. For business owners this most often applies to Service Animals. A business owner can ask you what your animal is trained to do, but not why you need them.

It seems like just four days ago they told us we couldn't be outside fully vaccinated without a mask...wonder what medical breakthrough happened in the last four days to make this okay?

Science changes things. I think the CDC finally felt they had seen enough data on the effectiveness of the vaccine to make this change. This was always going to be an abrupt change since the CDC does not make policy but only recommendations.

People that know of "COVID" death cases. I know of none and ask any hospital I am in or funeral directors, if they know of any. So far none. No one I know knows anyone that's died. So that's MY reality.

So I would be very interested in actual, DEATHS, AGE and pre-existig conditions.

HEY, BTW anybody, I mean anybod heard of an old person dying from the Flu in the last year or so?

As for COVID deaths: Our medical center created a COVID unit early on to house all of our covid patients. It took over a complete inpatient unit. At the peak of the pandemic, it expanded to taking over 3 inpatient units. They were having multiple people die EVERYDAY on average.

That's my whole point. They announce it as a "law". It's not a law. But the airlines have been mandated by someone. I'm sure they didn't have a group meeting and decide they were going to require masks. As far as staying home, nothing would make me happier. It won't be long. I have to travel for work, I don't do it for pleasure. That I can assure you of.

There kind of is a law. The law is that you have to obey the instructions of the airline and refusing to is a federal crime. This is the same law they used to kick off unruly passengers before the pandemic. In effect, all of the airline's rules have the force of law for this reason.

I wonder what the long term cost of other symptoms of Covid (like long haulers) will be. Will it be a "preexisting condition" that will affect health coverage? Will it affect a persons ability to get employment? Will another variant hit again this Fall?

Our medical center has set up a program to study the effects of "long-haul." I personally know someone who has cardiac problems and a implanted defibrillator as a result of having covid. Luckily, pre-existing conditions may no longer be considered by health insurance plans for the purpose of determining coverage or cost of insurance. That was part of the Affordable Care Act, and remains the act's most popular action. I wouldn't expect it to go away as even the republicans claimed it would remain as part of the "repeal and replace" plan they never followed through on.

Medical errors are the 3rd largest cause of death in the USA (before COVID).

Kill 250,000 folks per year.

Never heard a peep about that before.

MoKelly

This has long been a cited statistic. The problem is that the determination of "error" was extremely broad. More recent studies place it about 7,000 avoidable hospital deaths.

/ CDC lifts mask restrictions for those fully vaccinated #75  
There is nothing in the statistics that mentions immune compromised ...

See this:

'Breakthrough' COVID death: Fully-vaccinated Flossmoor man, 75, dies from virus a month after 2nd vaccine dose

Anecdotal yes, but clearly immune-compromised.

and the daily number of new cases or the daily number of deaths has remained unchanged since before they started vaccinating in my state.

That does not appear to be an accurate statement (on multiple counts) - see here:

Statewide Reopening Metrics

The only thing that has changed is the number of Covid patients that are being hospitalized. Would be nice to see the number of vaxed Covid patients compared to non vaxed Covid patients, but they are not tracking breakthrough Covid patients that are not hospitalized.

No disagreement here on any of that.

/ CDC lifts mask restrictions for those fully vaccinated #76  
There kind of is a law. The law is that you have to obey the instructions of the airline and refusing to is a federal crime. This is the same law they used to kick off unruly passengers before the pandemic. In effect, all of the airline's rules have the force of law for this reason.
The exact quote from the website is "A facecovering is required by US federal law at the airport and onboard American Airlines flights." And it goes on to say anyone traveling from another country must show proff of negative Covid test. Blah, blah. There is no federal law requiring a facemask. There is a CDC guideline that I found.
I'll guarantee one airline will blink on this first and as soon as they do the others will drop it like a hot rock. The airlines love this whole thing, their flights are full again and they don't have to serve anything at all. They hand you a wipe when you walk on the plane. This is saving them a huge amount of money.

/ CDC lifts mask restrictions for those fully vaccinated #77  
That's my whole point. They announce it as a "law". It's not a law. But the airlines have been mandated by someone.

It's based on law, 49 USC 44701(a)(5) specifically:

Mask Mandate: Does the Federal Aviation Administration Have Authority to Require Masks on Flights?

Federal Regulations are how Executive Branch agencies implement and enforce statutory federal laws - that Congress passes and the President signs:

What's the Difference Between Laws and Regulations?

Last edited:
   / CDC lifts mask restrictions for those fully vaccinated #78  
That does not appear to be an accurate statement (on multiple counts) - see here:

Statewide Reopening Metrics
How is it not accurate. Deaths are trending up by their own charts. And if you only look at number of cases over the last 2 weeks the cases are trending down due to a spike in April (Easter spike), but if you look at the cases over the last 90 days they haven't dropped below February and March numbers.

/ CDC lifts mask restrictions for those fully vaccinated #79  
Reasons vaccinated individuals could still die from Covid is their vaccination was administered improperly, the vaccines were allowed to get out of their temperature range, or their was an error in production of that vaccine batch.

/ CDC lifts mask restrictions for those fully vaccinated #80  
Well gee, if we're gonna go there then we might as well go here:

Everyone that gets the vaccine will die. That's a fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.