Is there a Kubota diesel to avoid?

/ Is there a Kubota diesel to avoid? #1  

Number15

Gold Member
Tractor
AC 7600 TTR, Branson 5520CH, Grasshopper 928D2
Fact of life. Every company makes a dud now and again. I am looking at some used equipment from different brands and many have Kubota diesels.
Knowing they have a stellar reputation, is there a certain model or series that had more problems than most and should be avoided?

/ Is there a Kubota diesel to avoid? #2  
Never heard of any issues with any kubotas that weren't self inflicted. I have 3 and my father has one, buddy has 2. Not the newest machines, but they do last. One of mine is coming up on 40 years old.

/ Is there a Kubota diesel to avoid? #4  
The engine in the B3350 was a nightmare for some. I would avoid one at all costs. Just do a search in here, you'll see. It was bad engineering. Pollution garbage. As usual
Why Kubota Corp recently enacted a lifetime warranty on that motor.

/ Is there a Kubota diesel to avoid? #6  
Fact of life. Every company makes a dud now and again. I am looking at some used equipment from different brands and many have Kubota diesels.
Knowing they have a stellar reputation, is there a certain model or series that had more problems than most and should be avoided?
My take is anything Post 4 and electronically controlled with common rail injection. Especially used and out of warranty. The p[arts are super expensive. Gimme the old style direct injection (Bosch style). I have 2 in the large frame flavor. Bullet proof with regular maintenance. 6K farming hours on one, 3K on the other.

/ Is there a Kubota diesel to avoid? #7  
Tier 4 ruined just about all of them.
Buried International just about forever and CAT over the road engines.

One odd ball Kubota engine I had-not necessarily a bad Kubota engine-was in my old M125X. It had a 5.8L 5 cylinder.
Seemed to be a bit of a red haired step child. Some say they like it better than the 6.1L 4 cylinder that replaced it.

/ Is there a Kubota diesel to avoid? #8  
My take is anything Post 4 and electronically controlled with common rail injection. Especially used and out of warranty. The p[arts are super expensive. Gimme the old style direct injection (Bosch style). I have 2 in the large frame flavor. Bullet proof with regular maintenance. 6K farming hours on one, 3K on the other.
The B3350 was 'old style' mechanical injection. They just screwed up. Happens to the best. I'm not clear on what happened but...

Bosch has made a lot of injectors of all styles. Some worked, some absolutely sucked. Same with their fuel pumps.

I will generally take Denso over Bosch. I've never cared much for Bosch.

/ Is there a Kubota diesel to avoid? #9  
Tier 4 ruined just about all of them.
Buried International just about forever and CAT over the road engines.

One odd ball Kubota engine I had-not necessarily a bad Kubota engine-was in my old M125X. It had a 5.8L 5 cylinder.
Seemed to be a bit of a red haired step child. Some say they like it better than the 6.1L 4 cylinder that replaced it.

The Navistar VT365 (aka: Ford 6.0L diesel) was actually a fine engine. There are still plenty of them still around in School Buses, Ambulances, Wreckers, etc.

But Ford wanted more power in order to compete with generic motors (Isuzu, actually) and Dodge's Cummins. Both of which had more than their fair share of problems during that time. Believe it.

So Navistar boosted the VT365 beyond its abilities and bad things happened. If you can get a 6.0L Ford on the Cheap and bulletproof it, you've got a good engine. The 6.4L, OTOH, you wanna run from them.

I can see emissions requirements on Highway diesel engines. I would even encourage it to a degree. (Some better engineering would be of great benefit)

But it's the wrong people doing it. The EPA is a collection of eco-terrorists and old hippies thrown in with modern day anarchists that hate everything about us. fact

Which is why we have to put up with it on Tractors. Tractors aren't hurting anything. They're way out in the boonies. Any carbon (soot, etc) they might emit settles to the ground long before it reaches population centers.

And in case some adherrents to the EPA cult (which is what it is anymore. No science, cult) missed it, ALL life on Earth is based on carbon.

shock