Stupid Things I Have Done

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #81  
Back in the day when I was super smart and thought I was a top notice MOPAR mechanic I decided to swap out my 440cid motor for a 383cid motor. That was to fit into a certain class at the drag races.
Popped out that 440cid in no time and dropped in the 383cid. But - disaster... the 383 wouldn't start. After checking and rechecking everything at least a hundred times over a 6 month period of time, and burning up 3 rebuilt starters, I finally succumbed to reading the Shop Manual.
Surprise - the 383, although it looks pretty much identical to the 440, has a reverse firing order.
Switched the plug wires around and viola! It purred like a kitten.
Lesson Learned: RTFM (Read the F****** Manual!)

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #82  
one day I bought a really cool Vintage Miners Kit in a leather pouch. I paid $15 at a garage sale. Kept it for a few years, packed it when we moved.

In our new location, we started going to Antique places in the area. I brought my item in on about the 5th trip out (1 hr away). I left it for Appraisal.

Called back the next week. No Answer. Drove by, when we were next in the area. The acreage, buildings etc that had been full, were EMPTY - they had closed down and moved. Uggh, I still regret leaving it with my new friend.
Had a similar thing happen recently with a new startup small business that did heavy advertising in the local area for small engine service. Thought I would throw them some work, took a couple of mowers in for service. They looked legit and had about 50 sitting around their shed and seemed to be working on them. Said it would be a few weeks to get to them, I was ok with that. Two weeks later, I drove by the location, nothing there, everything gone including the shed and mailbox. Turned in theft report to the police, was called a few weeks later by an investigator, told me this has happened a few times in the local area. He said after a few times they move on to another rural area. I asked what in the heck they do with all the mowers and equipment, he said they pawn or take them to auctions. Cannot be much money in that but I guess enough for them to do it.

Lesson here, don't trust everybody...

Last edited:
   / Stupid Things I Have Done #83  
I may have posted this on a similar thread here years ago, but it bears repeating.

My advice: If you are interested in having an auger with a nice bend in it, you will need to auger in about three feet deep and then pull forward with the tractor without first pulling out the auger. That will give you a nice curved auger which, if you leave it laying around afterwards, is a nice conversation starter. And if you really want this to work more efficiently, do it in the Summer when the ground is really hard - makes bending it easier.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #85  
Gone to sleep in my recliner with a wad of Copenhagen still in my mouth. Swallowed the entire wad. Thank God, I have a large bottle of Pepto.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #86  
Friend of mine had a Corvette, a 1984 I believe; he said he had to remove a fender to put in a new battery...took him half a day.
I have a 1990 Corvette, same body style as a 1984. For starters, they have a flip up front.
There is one small panel that takes 5 minutes to remove, that gives you access to replace the battery.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #87  
I have a 1990 Corvette, same body style as a 1984. For starters, they have a flip up front.
There is one small panel that takes 5 minutes to remove, that gives you access to replace the battery.
It's possible he exaggerated. He bought that car in an estate sale; low mileage, and lost his rear when he sold it. Seems no one wanted an '84 Vette.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #88  
Gone to sleep in my recliner with a wad of Copenhagen still in my mouth. Swallowed the entire wad. Thank God, I have a large bottle of Pepto.
Been There, Done That! Thoroughly enjoyed Skoal and Copenhagen with an occasional dip of Garretts snuff to change things up a bit. Finally had to give it up when I realized it had become a 24 hour-a-day habit. I had even stopped spitting (didn't want to waste any). $7 a can didn't help much either when I was going thru a couple cans a day. Been over 10 years and I still crave it. At least you had Pepto!

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #89  
You guys that have swallowed your chew really "grosses" me out. Yuck. But I guess on the bright side, you have now been de-wormed. :)

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #90  
So you've had a bout with the "chew" also, Doofy. I smoked in the 70's - unfiltered Camels. Then the vending machine price jumped to $0.55 per pack. I just dead smack quit. Never gone back.

Now here comes Copenhagen. Started about ten years ago. Quit three time since I started. The nicotine craving in chewing tobacco is SO MUCH greater than in smokes. It just damn near drives me crazy.

It's been suggested that I fill my Copenhagen tin with dry meadow muffins. Farmer told me that is a sure cure. I should hope so.