A kid gets terminated at work...

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #32  
Being a GC we have added a section to our contracts for our subs to sign; it simply states "they" acknowledge their employee's are legal to work in the US and have verified their status; now "we" are covered if that goes south. Simply threw the ball back into their court; it's all BS anyway...

/ A kid gets terminated at work...
CT is an at will state but, you still have to do it the right way, both for legal and moral reasons. I have had bad employees who if they were not in the protected classes, would have been let go earlier with less cost and disruption to the company. Fringe employees who are in protected classes know it and wear it like a shield.
NC is a at will state as well, but honestly didn't know anything about fringe employees being protected.

How does one become a fringe employee who are in a protected "class"? Union?

NC is also a right to work state. Do remember back in the 90's when Armstrong Air had their manufacturing facility in Bellvue (sp?) Ohio and Lennox (parent company) kept having issues with the union. They finally said screw it and moved the entire facility to South Carolina.

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #34  
I pray the kid gets things figured out before getting in real trouble.

Pay low wages get low quality workers(most of the time).

When I hear people say they can find quality employees I think it means "I'm not willing to pay for quality employees"(most of the time).
I've had a bunch of employees. By my definition that means I'm personally paying them outta my wallet or worse yet, my IRA! Not a "report" or a "team member"..my employee. If they screw up or cruise, it cost me $. I've had good ones, bad ones and the occasional super star.

I'm gonna take this to the grave.....some people, very few unfortunately, work hard and do their best because it's the right thing to do. Too many employees are just putting in there time and trying to get to tomorrow and too many just going for a ride. Of course government employment is the best example of that.

I found increasing salary, in most cases, has little to no long term effect. The person doing their job well because it's the right thing to do will do it weather you give them a raise or not.

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #35  
Being a GC we have added a section to our contracts for our subs to sign; it simply states "they" acknowledge their employee's are legal to work in the US and have verified their status; now "we" are covered if that goes south. Simply threw the ball back into their court; it's all BS anyway...
I'm being the devils advocate here but....

Do you get legal advice re that contract? Did a lawyer tell you it was legit? Did a lawyer write the contract?

Better put....Will it stand up in court.

Many of the subs working on my new house will tell you, without illegals they would be outta business.

/ A kid gets terminated at work...
I'm gonna take this to the grave.....some people, very few unfortunately, work hard and do their best because it's the right thing to do. Too many employees are just putting in there time and trying to get to tomorrow and too many just going for a ride. Of course government employment is the best example of that.

I found increasing salary, in most cases, has little to no long term effect. The person doing their job well because it's the right thing to do will do it weather you give them a raise or not.
My one kid has been working at this place for like 8 months now. Now is second in line as far as seniority goes. Started off working 15-20 hrs a week, now pushing 40 hrs since it's summer (of course they don't want to pay overtime). Started off at like $8.25. Still at that pay rate. The kid has been dependable, comes in when called not scheduled to work, and has covered multiple duties due to lack of people showing up for work and being short staffed.

By all accounts a pretty good employee who seems to get along with co workers.

Same place has hired people after my kids start date (around the same age) at $9.25 an hour. My kid asked for a raise at 6 months into the job, and gave a list of reasons why a pay raise was requested (all legitimate IMO). Request was put in by my kids supervisor as the supervisor thought my kid was worth the pay raise.

Kid is STILL waiting for that pay raise.

I look at this business and can't help but think how stupid the ownership is. The reason kids leave this place (high turnover rate) is there is no standarized work structure and no standardized pay. When you have a kid that shows up on time everytime, works late when asked to and does more than what they were hired to do, you HAVE to reward your employee somehow.

One of many reasons why my kid is looking for a better job now.

Thing is, we've explained that it's a job, some jobs can suck (and it's great that this first job sucks because you can get use to that in a work environment at a young age), but to a GOOD job and get the work experience under your belt starting at age 15 so you actually have that experience, not be fired and actually have some work references are worth their weight in gold IMO.

Last edited:
   / A kid gets terminated at work... #37  
How does one become a fringe employee who are in a protected "class"?
A protected class is created by lawmakers in a state, also federal. Examples are most applicants or employees who are non-white, others if they have a disability, and in many jurisdictions, females. Those in the "protected class" have special rights higher than those without protected class.

Those in a protected class can quickly bring the entire weight of local or federal government to bear against an employer. Even if they only applied for a job. Suppose you are an employer, and interview 10 people for a job opening. You choose the best applicant. But if one of the applicants that you did not choose is over age 40, they can make a discrimination claim they were passed up because the employer wanted someone younger. (Or for a minority, claiming racial discrimination.) So, hiring becomes a dangerous minefield.

Whether the claim is true or not does not alter the negative economic impact on the employer. That employer is now subject to long and expensive enforcement actions to determine the validity of the claim. Since the job applicant was "protected class", they are represented for free by the government. The employer (if they are smart) is represented by a skilled labor law attorney. ($$) It is costly and time consuming for the employer regardless of whether they win or lose. (which often leads to out-of-court settlements.)

In some jurisdictions, entire cottage industries have sprung up to encourage and nurture such claims to get filed. Then everyone involved gets a slice of the $$ when a settlement is extracted from the employer. The more unscrupulous operators will "coach" job applicants on how to trick an interviewer into saying something that would generate a successful claim. We had applicants ask things like: "Am I too old to be considered for this job?" -or- "Do you prefer your sales people to be white?" These were folks looking more for a settlement than a job.

Some employers get sued for discrimination even if they never hired, or even interviewed, someone. In the below case, the claimant argued he was discriminated against because he was disabled and could not properly access Burger King locations because of their design. He asked for damages of $5,000 per Burger King location. Since Burger King had about 500 locations in CA at the time, that was a big-money lawsuit!

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #38  
Blowing something up with weed in possesion of teen would never cross my mind. It's not like kids have butane hash oil on them.
I didn’t mean cooking weed would blow something up. I mean’t a serious lack of good judgement (based on described behavior) could lead to it in other ways.

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #39  
My one kid has been working at this place for like 8 months now. Now is second in line as far as seniority goes. Started off working 15-20 hrs a week, now pushing 40 hrs since it's summer (of course they don't want to pay overtime). Started off at like $8.25. Still at that pay rate. The kid has been dependable, comes in when called not scheduled to work, and has covered multiple duties due to lack of people showing up for work and being short staffed.

By all accounts a pretty good employee who seems to get along with co workers.

Same place has hired people after my kids start date (around the same age) at $9.25 an hour. My kid asked for a raise at 6 months into the job, and gave a list of reasons why a pay raise was requested (all legitimate IMO). Request was put in by my kids supervisor as the supervisor thought my kid was worth the pay raise.

Kid is STILL waiting for that pay raise.

I look at this business and can't help but think how stupid the ownership is. The reason kids leave this place (high turnover rate) is there is no standarized work structure and no standardized pay. When you have a kid that shows up on time everytime, works late when asked to and does more than what they were hired to do, you HAVE to reward your employee somehow.

One of many reasons why my kid is looking for a better job now.

Thing is, we've explained that it's a job, some jobs can suck (and it's great that this first job sucks because you can get use to that in a work environment at a young age), but to a GOOD job and get the work experience under your belt starting at age 15 so you actually have that experience, not be fired and actually have some work references are worth their weight in gold IMO.
Your kid's boss is banking on finding another good one after your son moves on. Typical NC private sector small biz employer. That group is very slow to figure out why it isn't working in this business climate.