My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
#2,341  
View attachment 702277

When one ladder will not reach……….

That is an amazing cabin.
Yesterday I was at the top of my ladder but couldn’t quite reach the upper seam that needed to be sealed. I called it and moved to the next lower line. I will either buy or rent an extension ladder or lift for that. I don’t own an actual extension ladder and could probably use a good 24 foot ladder now and in the future. Of course my wife wanted to fight me because she is cheaper than I am and never wants to buy anything.

Here is the latest video. It is basically just foaming joints.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,342  
I didn't realize that the seen between the roof panels and wall panels had gaps in them. Watching your video really shows it clearly.

#2,343  
Eddie, some of that can probably be pinned on me but some of it is a variance in the panels. Sometimes the inner panel and outer panel would be a few millimeters off from each other. It doesn’t take much to create a gap.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,344  
I take it the top of the walls were not foamed before setting the roof panel on it.

Check out Bo’s build thread when you get time, an awesome cabin.

#2,345  
The top of the panels was foamed and received a 2x6 spline that filled the void and joined the panels together at the top, adding a little strength and providing a plate to run the 12 inch screws thru the roof panel and anchor to. As I placed each proof panel I would put a heavy bead of sip seal but with the void, it doesn’t even touch there.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,346  
Got ya

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,347  
Question is..why is there such a gap ? That design is not good... Where that bottom of roof panel should be touching the rafters and not leaving such a big gap. I would have got some thick Styrofoam and cut it to fit those gaps covering the width of your top plate . Seems as though the wall panels at the top should have been made with the pitch of the roof angle to meet nice and tight with the bottom of the roof panel. I wouldn't trust that spray foam and sip seal to keep the gap closed over time. You are really having to do alot of sealing up gaps and seams...really cuts into your time of doing other items.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,348  
Enjoyed the latest video. One of the things that I remember from my build was enjoying all the outdoor sounds of nature as I worked. That view you have is amazing, I’m looking for something like that for my retirement home.

#2,349  
The back wall was supposed to be cut at an angle. That was in the architect plans. But was in the plans from the pane company it wasn’t. I missed that and signed off on it when you get to the point of physically building it, you have to figure it out.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,350  
Some of that woodwork you have there is looking really nice. Hope you let some of it show.
On my build I let a lot of raw wood right along with the joinery and fasteners. Finished it off with with varnish instead of paint or wallcoverings... Even splits and crude wood work can look nice with some varnish
I figured I could always cover it later, but ten years later a lot of people have commented on how they like the look.

If you do let wood show, I saved a ton of money and effort by using a older natural type of varnish that could be re-coated without prep. That made application and touch up a pleasure rather than a smelly chore. Much better in the long run than the newer petroleum-based plastic surface varnishes like the varathanes or polyurethanes.