Storing chains

/ Storing chains #21  
hanging on a hook on the wall

/ Storing chains #22  
Here is a unique thing that I put together for working with chains. It fits in a receiver hitch:

P4270018c.JPG
P4270014.JPG
P4270010.JPG
P4270016.JPG

/ Storing chains #23  
You people know how to make a guy feel like a slob with your nice neat shops. somehow I can never get there. I wonder if my chains would look that neat hung up instead of some on the floor of the one ton and and some of on the floor of the p/u and more draped on the winch plus a wood box full on the garage floor and another big box with 6 sets of tire chains.

gg

/ Storing chains #24  
Here's a chain "shortener" for those that may have never seen or made one for themselves.

Ahhh Haaa - A new tool to build!

Anyone with ideas on a chain "lengthener"!!???

/ Storing chains #25  
Anyone with ideas on a chain "lengthener"!!???

Yes, a chain with one hook.

/ Storing chains #26  
Galvanized buckets, indoors, keep dry...Also makes it easy move chains around shed or to "work" by hanging bucket on convenient hook on tractor...
Agreed, This is the best way I have found. Easy to put the bucket on the carry all or in the back of the truck.

/ Storing chains #27  
My two big chains are on the floor of my backhoe, right behind the seat. The rest are all in a 5 gallon bucket.

/ Storing chains #28  
🙃

Attachments

• IMG_0566.JPG
    IMG_0566.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 102
   / Storing chains #29  
Chains are great in some places but I find using lift sling straps much easier for most jobs. They are light weight and don't scratch as much. A 2" strap will hold up 10 tons, more than I can pull.
Tom

/ Storing chains #30  
Tire chains are heavy! I have two sturdy galvi nails hammered into facing studs. I hang the end crosspiece of a set of chains from one nail, then with a loud grunt put the other-end crosspiece on top of it. Then I do the same for the other set.

A couple of lighter nails on the outer edge of the same studs hold the only two tow-chains that I own. The longer one is doubled.