Welding on equipment

/ Welding on equipment #11  
Disconnecting the battery basically takes the alternator out of the loop. The good thing about that is it also protects the diodes in the rectifier. If the diodes get cooked, your alternator can put out 75+ ACV which will burn out anything that runs on 12dcv so I try to disconnect the battery when I weld.

/ Welding on equipment #12  
Disconnecting the battery basically takes the alternator out of the loop. The good thing about that is it also protects the diodes in the rectifier. If the diodes get cooked, your alternator can put out 75+ ACV which will burn out anything that runs on 12dcv so I try to disconnect the battery when I weld.

It may protect the alternator! If the alternator grounds to the frame, all bets are off that it is protected from electrical surges while welding on the vehicle.
Also battery being disconnected does not protect computer components and sensors that are grounded to the frame. It is always best to isolate what you are welding to from the vehicle. Even if you need it to be attached to the vehicle for tacking purposes, isolate it if possible. Many possible choices of materials depending on heat involved and duration of applied heat and time till removal.

/ Welding on equipment #13  
Battery risk is at others pointed out, over exciting the charging process and frying the battery. Remove both battery cables while welding and battery risk are eliminated.
Unfortunately, the above will not protect the onboard electronics. Depending on the vehicle some sensors could have grounds separate from the computer and these may get overloaded unless disconnected individually. Most sensors however get their grounds, signals and power through the on board computer. Disconnecting all computer plugs should isolate both the computer and sensors which get both grounds and voltage from the computer.
Some times unfortunately there is just no way to avoid some tacking on the vehicle in order to ensure proper fitment. However if at all possible, for final welding remove all parts and reinstall after cooling. But take precautions to avoid heat warping.
I weld on trucks on the regular. Never disconnect anything. It may have done some damage but in a few days it will roll over 200,000 miles and it has not affected me yet, but I will keep an eye out for any damage.

/ Welding on equipment #14  
Timely thread for me. Apologies to the OP for high-jacking, but this actually is on topic. :)

A buddy tore an ear off his BXpanded Piranha Bar for his 60" loader bucket. My little Lincoln Electric Mig (155 amp) is too light to reweld it properly to the 1/2" plate of the bar. My thought is to straighten the ear, reposition it on the bar in the bucket, then make three or four tack welds for proper alignment. He could then take just the bar to a welding shop to complete the job with a heavier machine.

Question is, can I do this safely without the hassle of removing the loader from the tractor, or disconnecting electronics? My grounding clamp would be directly on the Piranha bar itself.

/ Welding on equipment #15  
Timely thread for me. Apologies to the OP for high-jacking, but this actually is on topic. :)

A buddy tore an ear off his BXpanded Piranha Bar for his 60" loader bucket. My little Lincoln Electric Mig (155 amp) is too light to reweld it properly to the 1/2" plate of the bar. My thought is to straighten the ear, reposition it on the bar in the bucket, then make three or four tack welds for proper alignment. He could then take just the bar to a welding shop to complete the job with a heavier machine.

Question is, can I do this safely without the hassle of removing the loader from the tractor, or disconnecting electronics? My grounding clamp would be directly on the Piranha bar itself.
The odds of you doing damage is quite slim.

/ Welding on equipment #16  
I never disconnect and I aint foolin with the plugs and fuses on a new car or any for that matter. People wreck cars and cause a lot of problems and even explode batteries every day fuggin with that stuff. Its extra complicated work moving lots of connections. Yake a pinch of that time and set the ground next to the work on the correct puiece and no problem. New trucks are used as work platforms by the thousands every day. Work would come to a stall if they messed with this and the damage would be huge.
I am cautious but,,, have welded on somewhere between 5 and 10000 cars, trucks tractors planes trains ships, a couple motorcycles among all the buildings and bridges, factories. I dont do it unless I gonna pour sparks over a battery.

/ Welding on equipment #17  
Quite frankly if you visit welding forum its quite a rare occurrence if not almost completely a non cooccurrence of having any problem with welding on vehicles and equipment with computer systems.... IF it was a problem there would be a lots of comments and lots of words of caution which I do not find...