Reconditioning the cutter bar on my NH451

/ Reconditioning the cutter bar on my NH451
I suppose if you had one of those rivet tools it could be done, but yes removing the guard wound make putting a bolt on section easy. I use a 2 lb hammer and 225 lb anvil which would be hard to get in place. I keep a spare bar in case I don't want to stop to repair sections, just replace the bar and move on.

I've never thought about sharpening the sections since they're supposed to be 'self sharpening'. But I'm considering sharpening the spare bar I have to see what it does. I'm not sure the NH541 instruction book addresses that that I've seen.

All good info.

/ Reconditioning the cutter bar on my NH451 #12  
I'm just before doing the refurbishment on my NH451. I ordered the guards today from Messicks. I decided to go with New Holland guards but I wonder if I just wasted money going OEM instead of aftermarket. Any thoughts aftermarket guards versus OEM?

Also, I have one of those new fangled rivet tools. It works pretty well, particularly useful tightening a loose tooth without removing the whole knife from the mower. I haven't ever replaced all the knives on a bar yet so I can't say as to how helpful it would be in the situation.

/ Reconditioning the cutter bar on my NH451 #13  
Oh yeah, all that mentioning of your 225 pound anvil makes me jealous:giggle: mine are only around 85 pounds.

/ Reconditioning the cutter bar on my NH451 #14  
I didn't rivet the ones on my 451, I used the little bolts made for that job and bolted them on.

SR

/ Reconditioning the cutter bar on my NH451 #15  
I use the bolts with stop-nuts on them for NH haybine sickle bars. Seems easier to me. The bolts are ribbed along their length so they wedge into the holes and grip well.

Field repairs are easy and done without removing the sickle bar whenever a knife is broken or damaged.

/ Reconditioning the cutter bar on my NH451 #16  
Field repairs are easy and done without removing the sickle bar whenever a knife is broken or damaged.
We do the same thing with the haybine, much easier to use bolts...

SR

/ Reconditioning the cutter bar on my NH451 #17  
I pressed the rivets.
I made 2 hardened anvils for my press.
It's a 20 ton press but I think 10 would do it.
This is for my home made hedge cutter, it has cutting blades above and below to work with a scissor action.
48 blades, 96 rivets.
I think the press works better than a hammer, but probably not as fast.
It's more peaceful for sure.
rivet form tool.jpg
pressing rivets2.jpg
pressing rivets.jpg
rivet head.jpg