Horror of horrors! My 2310 is hurt!

/ Horror of horrors! My 2310 is hurt!
Mike-- before putting the whole thing back together, I got back into the HST driveshaft area. Discovered that there's one bolt to remove, then, with a bit of persuasion, the splined shaft on the fan/HST end will pull off. (Guess that's part of the procedure for replacing a broken fan, too.)
DSC06761.jpgDSC06764.jpg

I wasn't able to pull the whole driveshaft out of the engine connection, but two good things:
1) There's enough of the male splined shaft in the engine coupling that it can be pulled back 2"+ without coming out completely.

DSC06768.jpgDSC06767.jpg

2) (and I should have realized this) there's a u-joint on both ends of that shaft, so I was able to jack up the engine without hurting anything.

At any rate, I blew the rusty dust off the splines, put some white (lithium) spray grease in there, then smeared my chassis lube grease onto the splines. After, I wiped off excess grease. Did this to both ends.

So it's now all back together. :cool2: Now to re-mount the MMM....

/ Horror of horrors! My 2310 is hurt! #42  
irving, the problem with all this maintenance is you'll be too pooped to run it today. :)

Well, I did the lawn yesterday so that's done. Now, perhaps I can re-mount the BH and FEL and get back to pulling some of the small stumps I was trying to get to before all this happened... 3 weeks ago! :thumbsup:

/ Horror of horrors! My 2310 is hurt! #44  
Thanks a lot, Irv, for letting us kibbitz!

-Phil

/ Horror of horrors! My 2310 is hurt! #45  
What's crazy is I had the same exact thing happen to my 07'. So there is definitely a recurring problem with these mounts and right around the same amount of hours.

Really? Perhaps a bad batch of motor mounts. Maybe the bonding process. BTW, the new mounts held up all summer, no issues. Now into snow blowing season.

/ Horror of horrors! My 2310 is hurt! #47  
Really? Perhaps a bad batch of motor mounts. Maybe the bonding process. BTW, the new mounts held up all summer, no issues. Now into snow blowing season.

Irvingj, what a heck of a sequence ! You get this year's award for persistence. In your shoes I would be very inquisitive about the reason for the failure AND what the AGCO records show for reports of the disease. All MF dealers have access to incident reports and can look up the motor mounts on a GC2310 with ease. You need a friendly, cooperative dealer to do this and they should be willing. I know mine would (and has on other issues.) If the same disease has been widely reported there is probably nothing you can do about it. Nature of the beast. ... BUT, if it is rather rare (which is my guess) then I'd certainly want to now what caused it. Why/how is it happening? I have trouble imagining a tractor that won't stand operation on hilly ground without shearing motor mounts. Was there (potentially) a factory suggested replacement that included lateral motion limiting in the mounts?

I never bothered to check with MF, and the closest dealer is an hour away. I just wanted the tractor fixed as quickly as I could -- I use it too much!

The only thing that intrigues me is above where woody49705 said he had a similar problem, same model year, same hours.... But hey, it's fixed now.

Got the block heater plugged in now.. we had some more snow squalls come through yesterday so I'll need to scrape the driveway again... and it's 0.7 degrees F outside at the moment....! Wicked cold for this time of year!

/ Horror of horrors! My 2310 is hurt! #49  
Hate to revise an OLD thread, but this issue has just happened to me with my GC2310TLB, my issue is my dealer tells me this item (4261289M1) is no longer available. Was anyone able to source an alternative? I can always try to spec out something through mcmaster car, but I am not sure what the engine weight is or the durometer (hardness) should be.

/ Horror of horrors! My 2310 is hurt! #50  
The same mount is/has been used on every GC2300/2400/1700/1723. I highly doubt it is OOP. They may not be able to order, but there is still inventory out there. A search for Canada was pretty quick.

Last edited: