Comparison ROPS height, BX vs. B, and slopes!

/ ROPS height, BX vs. B, and slopes! #61  
I have a BX 2230, FEL, turf tires with liquid, 2" spacers and chains and very steep hillside. With the mid mower60" I can get uneasy very fast. With the 50" flail on the back forget about going across slopes. I have to mow down and back up the hill. Went up the hill once, never again. Can't turn around at the top, makes life interesting. The weight and spacers help, I can't go without the chains, and I like being able to drop the bucket when I start sliding. Yours does not look that steep, but way too steep for cross slope mowing with a BX. Regardless, seat belt and rollbar, everytime. (I also work with farm safety)

/ ROPS height, BX vs. B, and slopes! #62  
Have had no issues but don't feel as comfortable on it on my B2601 tractor. Odd since I used to mow a worse hill with my JD 970, but I am older and that tractor had a wider stance and was heavier. I mow this hill with a 27 yoa JD rider with wheel weights and hiking cushions over the rear fenders made by our place's previous owner. I do hike now for extra safety but feel I am too slow to get clear if it did start to overturn. At the far side of this slope, just to the left of those small evergreens, the slope briefly seems to fall away sharper, just a small spot, but that's all it takes.

The problem with only running up and down is that my 2WD rider starts to freewheel and flies super fast down hill. I use my brake but that can lock the wheels. Maybe I should try mowing at an angle? Basically going up and down but more 45%?
Interesting...Can I ask why you don't feel comfortable on the B? I brushog steeper a couple times a year with my BX - the slope from the terrace leading down to my shop. While it's a pain in the neck (sometimes literally) I mow strips up and back down mowing strip in 4 wheel low gear (I don't turn at the top or bottom) and have never had a problem. Now were I to try to mow side slope I am sure I would wind up in the hospital or worse.

/ ROPS height, BX vs. B, and slopes!
Panik, it's just not as wide as I was used to. I did have the rears set out 6" so that helps. But I have a bush hog, not a finish mower, and use it for fields beyond the house. Three years mowing it with the low rider before I got the tractor have made that old machine standard. It's small and slow but mostly that it freewheels downhill is the problem.

Last edited:
   / ROPS height, BX vs. B, and slopes!
Also I should have said that members here gave me the idea of keeping my old rider for my lawn mowing needs and getting a tractor for tractor stuff. I could see that even a 1025R or BX were a bit too large for my yard's tight spaces and slopes. I really wanted to go ONE engine. But for the price of a belly mower I could replace my rider. I still wonder if the direction I am evolving toward—putting in mulched beds with shrubs at tight spots—would have/will make the place suitable for one engine one day. Doubtful, however.

/ ROPS height, BX vs. B, and slopes! #65  
I live on 9 acres of forest and bought a BX24 in 2004 with the backhoe. I didn't have a specific need for the backhoe, but as I told my wife "it just looks so darned cute with a backhoe".

I don't use the backhoe a lot, but have no regrets. I have done some trenching work for myself and neighbors. Dig a trench by hand for five feet and then use a backhoe. I was able to help another neighbor with a waterline leak. Digging a hole that size was much nicer with a back hoe. My biggest use was last year when I redid my retaining walls. At one point I spent 6 hours of continuous time on the back hoe. During that project I also use the back to lift the 80lb blocks off the wall. I replaced the middle tooth with an eyebolt and made a lifting sling for the blocks. Sometimes I use it to loosen the dirt before using the FEL.

The folding ROPS was too tall for my garage. On my ROPS it was a simple matter to cut off 3" and redrill two holes. I am short, so it isn't an issue using the backhoe. I actually feel safer now. I leave it up all the time and wear my seatbelt all the time.

Doug in SW IA

/ ROPS height, BX vs. B, and slopes! #66  
Each transaction and the reasoning behind it at the time are posted over the years under my name if your that interested. I currently own six (6) Kubotas. A BX1500 (for SIL), BX25D home and business use (rental property), F2680e flat rental property mowing, F3080 home hillside mowing, RTV1140 and a Z122r wife help me mow at home.
I started with 5 hillside acres, built home, did major landscaping, doing minor landscaping, bought several acres of rental property with 6 septic tanks. Changes in life, changes in priorities and changes in what does the best job for my ongoing/current needs. Ever changing world and life. Maybe when I turn 68 in a couple of months I'll get over my mid life crisis and doing different things and become more stable but I sure pray not.
I've also bought over 170 cars/trucks since 1964 so it's not just tractors/Kubotas.
I'm a convinced F owner that they are the best mowing machine made........resisted Zs until a few weeks ago...Now.......Might would trade my current F2680e 72" with 150 hours under 50 hours side discharge deck to a bigger Kubota diesel Z because the F is fast and grand but a Z with a big enough deck might do better around the rental units.:D:laughing:👍:cool2:
Now do you understand? :D:laughing: I don't LOVE em but I do LIKE em. Same for cars and trucks. They are all for sale or trade except for the F3080 72" RD deck.:)
John - One thing you failed to mention in this thread is that you are just about in Barlows back yard and drive by them frequently.

/ ROPS height, BX vs. B, and slopes! #67  
I sold my rental property 5 years ago so now I don't drive by Barlows so often. Have to drive about 5 miles to get to his lot. All my Kubotas have changed since this was originally posted and my land sales and aquisitions have also changed. I have bought 6 lots across the street and the 25 acre mountain behind my home which has required changes in equipment and just like to trade but may have quit trading and settling in with what I have. :) :) :) Sure, I've said that before but more likely true this time. At 74 I've slowed down to almost a stop. But my neighbor has a BX2380, FEL, Drive over deck with 150 hours for sale for $12000 that he keeps garaged and looks new but I DON'T NEED IT!!!!!!

/ ROPS height, BX vs. B, and slopes! #68  
John,
You‘re Wrong—-you DO need it!! C’mon, Man up and buy that thing!! We’re all counting on you to buy the stuff we wish we could!!

Stop being selfish, do it for us!

Cheers,
BN

/ ROPS height, BX vs. B, and slopes! #69  
John,
You‘re Wrong—-you DO need it!! C’mon, Man up and buy that thing!! We’re all counting on you to buy the stuff we wish we could!!

Stop being selfish, do it for us!

Cheers,
BN
JohnThomas, you can buy it and store it at my place in northern Michigan. I won't charge storage fees, but will keep it running and garaged. HAHA. Jon

/ ROPS height, BX vs. B, and slopes! #70  

JohnThomas, you can buy it and store it at my place in northern Michigan. I won't charge storage fees, but will keep it running and garaged. HAHA. Jon
You guys are just to helpful and generous, with my spending :) :). Someone needs to grab my neighbors BX and store it in their own garage, maintain it and pay for it. :)