Buying a Branson

/ Buying a Branson #71  
The Branson 15 and 20 series also has one of the highest steering angle of the market at 52 degrees. These tractors will literally turn on a dime and it's so handy when working in tight spots. The Narrow versions we get here, lose 5 degrees versus the standard width tractors but it's still plenty.

I can literally move around my orchards way easier than with the Kubota B7000 I had before, which is a third the size of the Branson.

Last edited:
   / Buying a Branson #72  
I have about 450 hours on my tractor (3520h) and I run it at a variety of rpm's. Occasionally the dpf light blinks at me, and a couple times it's been on solid.

When it blinks, I rev up and work harder. When I'm doing a lot of loader work I'll keep the revs high because the tractor works better; doing BH work I'm usually at about 1800. With the rotary cutter I'm in the 540 pto rev spot (IIRC 2500 rpm) and there's no concern about dpf. Sometimes when I'm just toodling around I'll be in very low revs but not for extended periods of time.

Turn off the engine rather than have it sit at idle for long (or sit there at 2500 doing nothing!).

Mind you I'm not in ND and it only occasionally snows here.

/ Buying a Branson #73  
I can't answer about which tractor is best for your needs. But I can say there is more to more HP than just HP. Usually it comes with more weight, improved frame and a total different feel when you are on it. If you find the stock, see if you can drive it around the yard and then do the same with the larger. Going to larger HP is dependent upon finances. I suppose some people like a smaller tractor, but there are so many post state if everything else is equal, best to have weight and HP if needed. Weight, ballast, and stability are a BIG issue in operating a tractor. You must be the judge. Best Wishes.
Not to simply to argue (as I fully agree with your size comments) but fact is that many modern utility & compact tractors have models that change hp via turbos, electronics or engine fuel system settings and yet have the same frames and other stuff so weight changes are often nil based on HP alone. In some ways it's become more of a sales ploy than a value added item IMO.

/ Buying a Branson #74  
Not to simply to argue (as I fully agree with your size comments) but fact is that many modern utility & compact tractors have models that change hp via turbos, electronics or engine fuel system settings and yet have the same frames and other stuff so weight changes are often nil based on HP alone. In some ways it's become more of a sales ploy than a value added item IMO.
Yes, you are right. That is why it is always important to look up one level to compare what is the best value for your needs. An example of what you are saying is the Kubota L2501 and L3901. Increased hp, but same size and frame. But if you compare the L3901 and the L4701, it is still the L series tractor, increased hp, but a larger heaver frame with increased hydraulic capacity. Your post is correct, thanks for reminding me of that. Not all increased hp means a larger frame. Best Wishes, Larry

/ Buying a Branson #75  
Branson and TYM which I'm considering sell small frames with higher hp and same engines in larger frames. You must look at the entire pkg. on all brands. With modern engines it's often done to jack up hp. My Lincoln SUV has a gazillion hp in a V-6 while my Ford F-150 5.0 V-8 is much less but has serious torque, i.e., grunt. Younger crowd likes those turbo hp numbers. The 3620 Branson I'm liking has only 35hp but is heavy over all weight and strong hyd pumps and fel and powerful enough for me.

/ Buying a Branson #76  
My 37hp 3725 has plenty of power for most things I do. Mowing with a 5' rotary, loader and grapple work, box blade work, etc.

I could use more power for the 8" wood chipper. When chipping material over 4" I have to slow the chipper feed way down. We have steep hills and more power would haul this heavy beast up the steeper ones quicker.

/ Buying a Branson
This could be a dumb question but does the additional weight of the 3620 compared to 3515 cause the engine to noticeably labor more when you have the FEL and a rear attachment on?

/ Buying a Branson #78  
Thanks, that is really my only concern at this point is support of dealer and honoring warranties. From what I’ve read some of the issues with tractors could have been operator error or just a faulty tractor. I get there’s no brand that sells 100% of tractors with no issues off the lot but backing up that warranty to fix an issue is definitely a must have. I’ve looked at Kubota as well but for what you get with a Branson and the price point it’s hard to not give them consideration. The dealer started in 2008 but not sure when he started selling Branson’s, definitely want to see how old the owner is and if he has a succession plan in place if he’s close to retirement. I know I’ll get a one-sided answer asking them about warranties and if they’ve ever had issues with them so that’s why I’m hoping to get some feedback on here from owners.
Over the life of your equipment... what will be the real costs of NOT taking a chance with a less than culpable unit??

I would venture to say, not much...

If however you decided on a Branson and had issues with parts or service, well then... I guess you may just answer your own question.

I've had enough issues with a reputable manufacture (Kubota) let alone one that's hit or miss on service and parts.

/ Buying a Branson #79  
View attachment 712832
This is what my woods looked like after the logging . This would be why I got the Grapple . I have learned that a tractor is not a bulldozer in any way shape or form . You can do many things but pushing these piles is not one of them . Even with a Grapple you can grab a whole pile but if the tops are 20 ft long and under the next pile the tractor will tip . I often grab the pile but then use the pole saw to cut the ends off . I'm in no way trying to push you towards my Tractor size . Bigger with Ag tires will do better but for the money saved I can buy all the good implements I need .

All this research is FUN :)
Great photo!!! you've got some work there, albeit fun work!!!

/ Buying a Branson #80  
Yes, you are right. That is why it is always important to look up one level to compare what is the best value for your needs. An example of what you are saying is the Kubota L2501 and L3901. Increased hp, but same size and frame. But if you compare the L3901 and the L4701, it is still the L series tractor, increased hp, but a larger heaver frame with increased hydraulic capacity. Your post is correct, thanks for reminding me of that. Not all increased hp means a larger frame. Best Wishes, Larry
Great feedback !

I agree with looking up one level to see if there is any use for that in any anticipated future path you may take.

I was looking at the 4701... I was just shy of what I thought I might eventually need but was willing to settle for that over an MX5400 which was a LOT bigger.

In the end, my thoughts pushed me to think how I would feel in -15 or -20 degree temperatures outside in the winter - with an open station. I sat in a Grand L 3560 and I was instantly sold on its ability to keep me cool in the summer, dry in the rain, and warm in the winter... all for only $6,000 more. Yes ... it was a jump from a 4701 but over 10 years its $600/yr to be warm or cool or dry... for 20 years its $300/yr. ...

The LX was not yet available... it would have been an option. I have done things with my 3650 that I could have never ever even attempted with anything smaller, even the 4701, so I made the right choice. I was lucky.

I opted for something that would allow me to be outside longer as I get older. Everyone has their own specific needs and tastes here!