Hydraulic line adapter question

/ Hydraulic line adapter question #1  

Bayou1535

Tractor
none
I recently bought a JD 450 sickle bar mower that has hydraulics and I didn't pay attention when I brought it home to the lines. The male end is too small for my valve that is on my massey 231. I believe I've read or seen a video that stated their is an adapter and possibly that older JD equipment was using their own valve size? If I remember correctly, all newer equipment-tractors now have a standard valve size? What size do I need to pick up, excuse any improper terms lol.

/ Hydraulic line adapter question #3  
Rather than an adapter, just remove the connector from the implement and replace it with one that mates up to the tractor QR connector. Chances are it's either an Ag or Pioneer type.

/ Hydraulic line adapter question
First time messing with hydraulics so bear with me. The previous owner had a smaller cut, 20 series I believe and made the lines to fit his as he said they were new lines. I just measured the the tip of the line and it is 1/2", even sais so on the line. The coupler on my tractor measures 1" and by looking at tractor supplies website, I'm a little confused. Is it better to use an adapter from 1/2" to 1" or is it possible to put a new end/tip on the line. I'm assuming that I can't put a new tip on the line. Thanks

Attachments

• hydro.jpg
    hydro.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 73
  • hydro2.jpg
    hydro2.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 70
  • hydro3.jpg
    hydro3.jpg
    424.5 KB · Views: 71
  • hydro4.jpg
    hydro4.jpg
    598.4 KB · Views: 68
   / Hydraulic line adapter question #5  
Thats ISO 1436-1 Type 2SN/SAE 100R2 hose. Its the type and pressure rating spec. The hose itself is 1/4", like this one:

These are the couplers you most likely need (couple of pics would confirm). The come in different sizes:

And as you can see, come in different sizes. Normal on a tractor is 1/2", so depending on what ends you already have on that hose, you would need a 3/8" Female to 1/2" Male NPT thread adapter, or you would need a 1/4" to 1/2" NPT adaptor that look like this:

Both of which you should be able to find at Tractor Supply or your local Farm Store.

/ Hydraulic line adapter question #6  
Better read post 2

/ Hydraulic line adapter question
So can the end of the line be replaced with a 3/8 to 1/2 or is there a quick coupler adapter 3/8 to 1/2? Or that would be a 1/4 to 1/2 per what the line sais. Also as far as measuring the line tip, is measured outside or the the inside where the bearing is?

/ Hydraulic line adapter question #8  
Couplers are actually much larger than the nominal sizes. The chart I linked to is the actual size if you print it at 100%. I suspect that the couplers on the tractor are female 1/2" ag couplers. There should be model numbers on them that you can look up to determine the type.

You can use hydraulic fittings to adapt the 1/4" hose ends to the new male coupler. Don't use pipe fittings, they are not made for the pressure.

If you are still lost, then take the female coupler and the hose with the male coupler off and bring them into a hydraulics shop. They will set you up.

NPT threads do not work that well at tractor hydraulic pressure. I recommend using Locite 545 on the threads. Teflon tape can get in the system and block passages if you're not careful, and that and teflon dope don't seal, they just lubricate.

When you're all done, mark one of the female couplers and the male coupler that you have plugged into it. So the next time you attach the implement, the hydraulic controls don't work in reverse.

/ Hydraulic line adapter question #9  
So can the end of the line be replaced with a 3/8 to 1/2 or is there a quick coupler adapter 3/8 to 1/2? Or that would be a 1/4 to 1/2 per what the line sais. Also as far as measuring the line tip, is measured outside or the the inside where the bearing is?
You cannot replace just the line end. You need one of the adapters.

Here's a better description of what you are looking at (pull down arrows): Quick Coupler Identification Guide

Though you best bet is to simply take the hose and coupler off and take that to the store to match up with what you need. You need to go from whatever your hose end is (1/4" or 3/8") to 1/2" Male coupler (which you'll need to purchase). Whichever adapter makes that work.

/ Hydraulic line adapter question #10  
Don't use pipe fittings, they are not made for the pressure.
Great point. My link was just an example of what you are looking for, but you need the one rated for hydraulics, not the standard pipe steel or brass ones.