Need Advice - Shibaura S773L Rebuild

/ Need Advice - Shibaura S773L Rebuild #1  

cgsmiley

Tractor
New Holland T1030
I'm doing a complete rebuild of the engine for my New Holland T1030. The engine is a Shibaura S773L. The block is cracked in several places and also has a hole in it (threw a rod), so I'm replacing the entire block. I'm not a diesel mechanic by any means but I am willing to tinker and learn. I was able to find a used, but good condition, block. That being said, the original engine from my tractor is an S773L M662 whereas the used block I acquired is an S773L M661. As far as I can tell there is only one minor difference. The M662 has a small gear that is located next to the Cam Gear. The M661 block does not have a place for this gear. Also--I can't figure out what that gear does. It doesn't seem to engage or turn any other parts but I know I could be mistaken. The attached pictures show the gear in question and the difference in blocks. Anyone out there have any idea what this gear does? What are the chances I could rebuild the engine in M661 block, without this gear, and not have any major issues? Otherwise, I suppose I could have the block machined to receive the gear...right?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210909_201400.jpg
    20210909_201400.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 154
  • 20210909_172540.jpg
    20210909_172540.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 144
   / Need Advice - Shibaura S773L Rebuild #2  
Maybe for the Tach on a older version of the motor ?

/ Need Advice - Shibaura S773L Rebuild #4  
I have workshop manual for S773L. Several but not all illustrations of the block show the hole, but I find nothing in there that hints what it or the gear is for.

btw my S773L is in a Case/IH, a big wheeled version of the NH 1030. PM me if I can help with specs, measurements, timing, etc.

/ Need Advice - Shibaura S773L Rebuild
I have workshop manual for S773L. Several but not all illustrations of the block show the hole, but I find nothing in there that hints what it or the gear is for.

btw my S773L is in a Case/IH, a big wheeled version of the NH 1030. PM me if I can help with specs, measurements, timing, etc.
Thanks. I'll reach out if I need anything. I also have a manual for my tractor and engine so I do have some good reference material. That gear, however, seems to be a mystery for now.......

/ Need Advice - Shibaura S773L Rebuild
   / Need Advice - Shibaura S773L Rebuild #7  
I was busy debugging an electrical issue on mine Sat & missed what stevem5215 said. (y) There isn't room for much between the injector & hydraulic pumps but maybe a cable. Gear isn't supported on both ends so doesn't see much load. Newer models drive the tach electrically from the alternator. If I didn't need the gear or hole I might install a brass (marine) welch plug flush from the back with a dab of Teflon pipe dope or Permatex #2 and stake it in.