Chipper Shredder

/ Chipper Shredder #31  
I'm with B John....

Load it, Haul it, Unload it, Burn it, How dry is it..?? How windy is it??? How long will it burn??

I do burn on certain occasions, but find both the small MacKissic Chipper/Shredder SC1650 HTE or the Woodland Mills WC68 have been my method of choice.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Chipper Shredder #32  
I initially had some "unnamed" shredder/chipper. It became obvious that it was WAY too small.

I've had two Wallenstien PTO chippers. First - BX42S. Now - BX62S. I've found that this brand chipper is REAL quality. I thin my pine stands every spring. This means I chip 900 to 1200 small ( 1" to 6" on the butt ) pines every spring.

I've been doing this with Wally chippers for over fifteen years and never had a single machine related problem.

I had initial problems with pine pitch plugging the discharge chute on the BX42S. Solved by letting the cut pines dry for a year.

Now with the BX62S this "aging" situation is not required.
Sounds great, but ouch! The 52S is $4340, the 72S is $6190....I guess they kicked them up an inch. I guess I will have to focus on another brand or look for gently used.

/ Chipper Shredder #33  
I have had a MTD chipper/shredder, a MacKissick 4.5" PTO chipper/shredder, and an 8" Woodmaxx PTO chipper. For me the PTO chippers are far better. The MTD was useless. I don't often chip nice straight logs that are at the limit of the Woodmaxx. I'd need much more than 32 PTO HP to do that effectively. But the 8" chipper makes is much easier to get irregular branches chipped.

It costs a lot more than your stated limit but it's much more effective.

We have a lot of brush and trees and vegetation grows fast here. We can't burn. There is always stuff that needs chipping.
How was the MacKissic PTO chipper/shredder? I have a Woodmaxx but they do not shred.

/ Chipper Shredder #34  
I've found that both machines that I have are useful depending on the job at hand. On large major tree work the Woodland Mills WC 68 is my go to machine. But through out the year there are small storms with minor tree damage that my MaKissic SC1650 is all that I need. Brushy stuff, garden clean up, piled up leaves, smaller windstorm brances seem to be a year 'round chore. The shredder is especially useful for this and yet, a 2-3 inch branch can also be chipped. And Yes, sometimes I need a large burn pile.

Cheers,
Mike

Attachments

• 280.JPG
    280.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 77
  • 2358.JPG
    2358.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 76
  • 2423.JPG
    2423.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 75
  • 1683.JPG
    1683.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 78
   / Chipper Shredder #35  
How was the MacKissic PTO chipper/shredder? I have a Woodmaxx but they do not shred.
I had a Mac TPH-122 for 16 years. Worked great on 3 different tractors. Used it to shred leaves as well as wood up to 3.5 inches. My source for leaves dried up. Got a WM WC46 to replace it because we wanted something with more horizontal, automatic feed. The WC46 is great, too.

The Mac is so easy to work on. Rotated the hammers 3 times and then replaced the hammers and spacers. Replaced the one non zerk bearing. Even that wasn't much of a problem. Removed chipper blade several times with socket wrench allen tool.

Oh, I had a Troy Bilt Tomahawk for about 10 years. It's an absolute beast to work on. Rotating the hammers on it is a real job. You can spend hours hammering out the shafts because the spacers deform and "weld" themselves to the shaft. Have to replace the spacers each time, of course.

/ Chipper Shredder #36  
I had a DR 4" chipper that has 18 hp motor liked it but wanted to do bigger stuff. So upgraded to a woodmaxx 8M. Works great enjoy the self feeding and larger capacity. Definatley would go with PTO option again if I had it all to do over.
I have one of these DR's as well. I have a Kubota LX2610 with a 19 HP PTO which is very close to the DR's power. I was patient and found the DR on Craig's List and for me, it has worked out perfectly. I can store it in a corner in the garage and wheel it out much easier than trying to maneuver it around with the tractor 3 pt chipper type. I can also tow it with my zero turn, car and ATV.

/ Chipper Shredder #37  

Since I got the Woodmaxx I've used the MacKissick only to shred, and only a few times.
Almost all the shredding I did was of material that I would chip except the MacKissick didn't chip small stuff well. I can get it down the Woodmaxx by pushing with a branch.

/ Chipper Shredder #38  
I don't see that it make a differance whether the MacKissic is a PTO unit or a gasoline driven unit. My standalone Kac shreds peautifully with a choice of shredding grates. If it is smaller sticks I can chose to throw them into the hopper/shredder ...or.....larger stuff goes into the chipper chute. All of these machines have issues with some "stuff" that may be thrown into them.....e.g. Yucca

/ Chipper Shredder #39  
I don't see that it make a differance whether the MacKissic is a PTO unit or a gasoline driven unit. My standalone Kac shreds peautifully with a choice of shredding grates. If it is smaller sticks I can chose to throw them into the hopper/shredder ...or.....larger stuff goes into the chipper chute. All of these machines have issues with some "stuff" that may be thrown into them.....e.g. Yucca
The difference between a diesel driven PTO and gasoline driven separate chipper or shredder is BIG. Virtually NO stalls from the PTO unit vs. many on a gasoline driven separate machine. Even on my 18.5 hp diesel tractor, I don't recall ever having stalled the engine on it using the Mac.

/ Chipper Shredder #40  
Can't say that I agree with you on that observation Ralph.
Cheers,
Mike