X-cord for welder

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / X-cord for welder #2  
Not bad Gene - I usually "roll my own", but just the wire and a couple connectors would run me around $170... Steve

/ X-cord for welder #3  
I have mine on a 10 romex wired to a breaker. Dryer plug on end. 27 years going on...

/ X-cord for welder #4  
The off the shelf cords are cheaper, and the ends on them seem better. However I've found in a Canadian winter you may as well be trying to coil and uncoil a piece of steel pipe.

Of course making your own from cabtire leads to replacing the ends (especially the female ends) CONSTANTLY if they spend any amount of time outside or around fertilizer equipment.

What I'd really love to find is a factory made cord with the molded ends, that has the nice cabtire type rubber jacket. Even if they were 2-3x the price I'd gladly buy them.

It seems surprising that they don't exist, but I at least haven't been able to find such a thing yet....

/ X-cord for welder #5  
Running 50a of 110v you should really be pulling 6ga at minimum. I bet that wire gets warm pulling full current.

/ X-cord for welder #6  
That would be for 240V single phase not 110 volt.

/ X-cord for welder #7  
But, 50 amps is 50 amps and I do agree it's better to run #6. I built my own out of #6 with an F box for the receptacle end and a weather proof spring door on it.

/ X-cord for welder #10  
Yes, #10-2 with ground. On a 30 amp breaker. Just welded a road grader blade on a tractor bucket edge. New bottom in bucket too. T-1 steel. 7018 rod. Pretty big as far as my welding projects are now days. If it was to start tripping the breaker, which it never has, I could get a 40 breaker. Which with an open wire it can dissipate heat. Nothing to burn. Just oilfield pipe, purlin, sheet metal. They been cleaning chicken houses out with it. So I guess it's okay. I mean commercial chicken houses. 800 truck loads of manure. Slat mover fixes to that bucket also. Four 600' houses at that farm. Dad has four too. But his are 440' we were with Pilgrim Pride.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.