Another part needed for MF 3 baler

/ Another part needed for MF 3 baler #1  

Hiptfarms

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800 with BH FEL, Kubota L4400 HST with FEL, Polaris Ranger, BCS 720
I was able to get the needed cylinder spider for my old baler through a dealer online. After it arrived and I started to replace it I realized that I actually need another part that Massey called a tooth bar crank assembly. The bearing had fallen off one of them and that allowed the assembly to.jump and break the spoder. I searched all over including the place where I got the replacement spider but so far I have had no luck. I am trying to rig something up using a bearing that is very close to the original but my problem is that the original part was riveted on. The shaft of the rivet is about 1/2" diameter. I need to have the bearing outer edge be flush since it rides in a chase that is enclosed. The opposite side of the flat stock that the bearing is riveted to also needs to be flush since that rotates in the hole in the spider so a bolt with a nut will not work. I have tried to add a picture showing the pieces in question with the bearing and without. I am looking for suggestions as to how to attach the bearing to the flat stock. Thanks for my help you may give.

Attachments

• 15378351932432131761059080503869.jpg
    15378351932432131761059080503869.jpg
    999.5 KB · Views: 164
   / Another part needed for MF 3 baler #2  
Look for local machine shop.

/ Another part needed for MF 3 baler #3  
You might be able to fabricate your own by using some round stock steel and then welding it to the bracket for your bearing shaft. Then to keep the bearing in place use a small washer that fits inside the bearing and lightly tack weld it to the shaft. Is it ideal no but will it work probably.

/ Another part needed for MF 3 baler
Thanks for the suggestions, Super55. I may wind up doing that in the end. I have actually found some 1/2" rivets from John Deere that are on order. They will be too long but I figure I could cut them down with my metal cutting bandsaw. The rivets should be here in 2 days so I hope they will work.

/ Another part needed for MF 3 baler
For what it's worth, i did wind up at a local machine shop. They fixed the bearings onto the stock for me. Its held up through 3 more years so far. Just finished baling my last field yesterday and now my horses are ready for the winter.

/ Another part needed for MF 3 baler #6  
For what it's worth, i did wind up at a local machine shop. They fixed the bearings onto the stock for me. Its held up through 3 more years so far. Just finished baling my last field yesterday and now my horses are ready for the winter.
Three years and no issues I would say that is a success. These older balers parts are virtually impossible to find but usually can be fabricated by a machine shop. Another place people often overlook is trade schools for high school kids. They actually do pretty good work and often you only have to pay for material. Plus it gives the kids a real world project instead of just tooling out a hammer.