Guys like this are what gives diesel a bad name

/ Guys like this are what gives diesel a bad name #101  
Used to ride a fair bit when I first moved to Georgia - trails and road riding a couple times per week. Obviously personal responsibility is, well innately personal responsibility and sterotyping groups of drivers is somewhat pointless. That being said, and for my own local experiences, the tankers, chicken truck drivers and other semi-truck drivers that passed me always seemed to some of the most polite in terms of respecting cyclists sharing the road.

/ Guys like this are what gives diesel a bad name #102  
I’ve gotten grief here when I talk about temporarily blocking traffic so cars don’t try to pass and create a dangerous “3-wide” scenario when there’s an oncoming vehicle; or when going through intersections so vehicles don’t think I’m turning and pull out in front or cut me off from behind. I then pull over to the right and share the road when it’s safe for them to pass. This gives me more control of the passing situation.

However two days ago, I was on a tractor hugging the shoulder so cars would only have to partially enter the other lane, “being considerate.” I noticed an oncoming car ahead, so again, to avoid enticing a car behind me to dangerously pass and go “3-wide”, I pulled back to occupy the main travel lane. The car behind must of been enraged, because they still passed me, forcing the oncoming car onto the shoulder and 1/2 into the ditch.

I don’t think the majority of problems are with bicyclists as they’re not the ones doing the passing.

Last edited:
   / Guys like this are what gives diesel a bad name #103  
However two days ago, I was on a tractor hugging the shoulder so cars would only have to partially enter the other lane, “being considerate.” I noticed an oncoming car ahead, so again, to avoid enticing a car behind me to dangerously pass and go “3-wide”, I pulled back to occupy the main travel lane. The car behind must of been enraged, because they still passed me, forcing the oncoming car onto the shoulder and 1/2 into the ditch

So which is more dangerous, a 3-wide situation or you suddenly moving from being mainly on the shoulder of the road to completely in the lane?

It sounds like you almost caused an accident here?

/ Guys like this are what gives diesel a bad name #104  
So which is more dangerous, a 3-wide situation or you suddenly moving from being mainly on the shoulder of the road to completely in the lane?

Sounds like someone who has never driven a tractor on the road.

Its pretty common for tractors to hug the shoulder....and on some equipment they even have to just to keep everything in their lane.

There is a SMV sign on them for a reason....drivers are to give tractors on the road respect. Hugging the shoulder on a tractor is doing the drivers behind a courtesy....lets them see around easier...and also is a hint that the tractor isnt gonna be attempting a left hand turn any time soon.

Re-occupying the lane of travel is a form of communication to the driver behind that it is NOT safe to pass. A message that was clearly ignored.

To even hint at the notion that the tractor in such case "almost caused an accident" is stupid. And no LEO would cite the tractor operator because some moron behind him decided to pass when it was unsafe

/ Guys like this are what gives diesel a bad name #105  
Sounds like someone who has never driven a tractor on the road.

Its pretty common for tractors to hug the shoulder....and on some equipment they even have to just to keep everything in their lane.

There is a SMV sign on them for a reason....drivers are to give tractors on the road respect. Hugging the shoulder on a tractor is doing the drivers behind a courtesy....lets them see around easier...and also is a hint that the tractor isnt gonna be attempting a left hand turn any time soon.

Re-occupying the lane of travel is a form of communication to the driver behind that it is NOT safe to pass. A message that was clearly ignored.

To even hint at the notion that the tractor in such case "almost caused an accident" is stupid. And no LEO would cite the tractor operator because some moron behind him decided to pass when it was unsafe

So are we sure everyone in a car knows re-occupying a lane is communicating that it’s unsafe to pass? I’d bet it’s safe to say less than half of the drivers on the road know this.

I would leave the view open to all cars as much as possible and let the drivers of the cars be able to make their decisions with a clear site of the road in front of them. Which I think would be safer?

/ Guys like this are what gives diesel a bad name #106  
So are we sure everyone in a car knows re-occupying a lane is communicating that it’s unsafe to pass? I’d bet it’s safe to say less than half of the drivers on the road know this.

I would leave the view open to all cars as much as possible and let the drivers of the cars be able to make their decisions with a clear site of the road in front of them. Which I think would be safer?
Let's use some common sense. The issue is it seems a lot of people don't like to use it.

Many times coming home or leaving during the day I get behind some big farm equipment on my rural 2 lane road. Guess what I do? Chalk it up to living in the country because another man has to work and I can't remember ever passing farm equipment taking up one full lane trying to pass it because I was stuck behind him because it seems like a jerk move on my end added it could be very dangerous with idiots driving like a bat out of haydes in the other direction.

For myself, there is a huge difference between a man riding a big butt piece of machinery on my road for farming work and two bicyclists who hog both the white line and yellow lane making it almost impossible for me to pass them. Honestly, even if I were still riding a bike, I would not want to be anywhere near the yellow line with some of the drivers around here LOL

/ Guys like this are what gives diesel a bad name

I’d have to say the same thing I’ve already stated previously in this thread. You are required to maintain control of your vehicle at all times, including when everybody else is being boneheads. If you can’t tell that it’s safe to pass...
Don’t pass. Pretty simple, huh?

/ Guys like this are what gives diesel a bad name #109  
I can't stand seeing these fools that delete the emissions equipment and re-tune their diesels so they'll blow black smoke when they step on the throttle. What's the point? Nothing says "immature idiot" to me more that that.

It's the same when a contractor pulls up with a decked out, top of the line truck with aftermarket rims, lifted, loud exhaust and chrome exhaust tips. It immediately makes me strike them from the bid list. It doesn't seem practical for a worktruck and you have to question their maturity and financial decisions.

/ Guys like this are what gives diesel a bad name #110  

It wasn’t sudden.
It seems you might be suggesting is that I, on a tractor or bicycle or any other slow vehicle, should occupy the main lane all the time. Many tractor drivers here on TBN would agree, as you probably do assume some liability by driving on the shoulder and enticing cars to pass.
I’m pretty sure if a vehicle crosses a double yellow line into the oncoming lane and hits an oncoming vehicle THEY are the cause of the accident.
Every driver should universally know this or surrender their drivers license if they don’t.