Oil & Filter change now or later?

/ Oil & Filter change now or later? #1  

speedracer2020

Tractor
john deere 2040
Hello all. I am still new to tractors and diesel engines so please bear with me. I am at the end of my mowing season (only brush hog 3 pastures) so no winter use. These mowing's account for about 30~40 hours/year. The tractor is a JD 2040 3 cylinder diesel. I am debating whether to: (a) change out the current oil (still looks brand new when viewed on the dipstick) and filter, run for several minutes to circulate it within the engine, then new oil sits in the engine over the winter and it's ready to use in the Spring; (b) leave the current oil/filter in the engine over the winter and then warm up and change in the Spring; (c) since I don't put that many hours on the engine and the oil looks brand new perhaps change out the filter come Spring and use the current oil for one more season. Not an economic issue the cost of oil and a filter is FAR LESS expensive than any repair caused by NOT making the correct course of action. Thanks for your opinions and thoughts.

/ Oil & Filter change now or later? #2  
Still under warranty; I guess; so you have to follow what the manual says.

Otherwise, I'd go hours rather than time. That's what I'm doing on all vehicles (e.g. miles on them instead of hours) now with covid and not using that much. Also going multi years on the Isuzu diesel generator.

/ Oil & Filter change now or later?
Thanks for your reply. NOT UNDER any warranty. The tractor is 1977.

/ Oil & Filter change now or later? #4  
I don't know nor do I have any way of measuring but have read it's best to change oil in the fall as acids and stuff can build up in your used oil and work on the engine in the winter. A fresh oil change in the fall will help prevent this. Since I'm liable to use the tractor intermittently through the winter I change in the spring.

/ Oil & Filter change now or later? #5  
1977? with a tractor that old & w/o service log, i'd also be looking at changing hyd fluid/filter as well

/ Oil & Filter change now or later? #6  
I do hours on all my equipment including my trucks. I don't mess with miles or what not. I've been doing this for decades with no problems or ill effects.

Other folks mileage might vary, but this is my own experience.

/ Oil & Filter change now or later? #7  
Change the oil and let it sit all winter. My dad changed the oil in the Farmall C every 5 years or so and when I inherited it, the oil pan started leaking oil through the paint. Upon removing the pan and inspecting, I saw the bottom pitted from acid attack and had to install a used oil pan. I vowed going forward that the oil is to be changed every fall regardless of hours.

/ Oil & Filter change now or later? #8  
You can get a lot of differing opinions on when to change oil. Sometimes low hours used/occasional use allows oil to completely drain leaving the upper part unlubricated for wear on starts.
It can also depend on what you do when its running.Do you putt around the yard at low speed, or rev to max and run it to its max capacity, etc.
Generally, I go by hours, duty, and ”feel” for what the tractor or truck has been doing. The owners manual is simply a guide. You’ll see most owners manuals recommend similar intervals.
When in doubt, as you are, change it. It’s a small expense and gets you more familiar with your tractor.

Last edited:
   / Oil & Filter change now or later? #9  
Hello all. I am still new to tractors and diesel engines so please bear with me. I am at the end of my mowing season (only brush hog 3 pastures) so no winter use. These mowing's account for about 30~40 hours/year. The tractor is a JD 2040 3 cylinder diesel. I am debating whether to: (a) change out the current oil (still looks brand new when viewed on the dipstick) and filter, run for several minutes to circulate it within the engine, then new oil sits in the engine over the winter and it's ready to use in the Spring; (b) leave the current oil/filter in the engine over the winter and then warm up and change in the Spring; (c) since I don't put that many hours on the engine and the oil looks brand new perhaps change out the filter come Spring and use the current oil for one more season. Not an economic issue the cost of oil and a filter is FAR LESS expensive than any repair caused by NOT making the correct course of action. Thanks for your opinions and thoughts.
If this is your first oil change on the tractor then do it now and get a Used Oil Analysis.
This will:
Run you through the procedure
Let you get a "baseline" on the engine, check for metal etc.

/ Oil & Filter change now or later? #10  
I do mine in the fall - every other year. My heaviest tractor use can be in the winter - snow removal.