Now able to move tractor from backhoe position. Push Button, 3D Parts, Should have come from the factory this way.

/ Now able to move tractor from backhoe position. Push Button, 3D Parts, Should have come from the factory this way. #11  
I use the dipper to move too. I assume everyone does it like this. I put the tractor in neutral and make sure the front wheels are straight. I put the FEL bucket down until it barely touches. Then when I put the outriggers down, I lift the rear off the ground, so it actually presses the FEL bucket down harder. When I want to move, raise the outriggers and use the dipper to push me backwards. Sometimes, if I'm on uneven ground I'll need to lift the FEL bucket some to move, but I can reach it from the backhoe seat.

/ Now able to move tractor from backhoe position. Push Button, 3D Parts, Should have come from the factory this way. #12  
👆 what he said...

/ Now able to move tractor from backhoe position. Push Button, 3D Parts, Should have come from the factory this way. #13  
On my little Massey I have to put it in 4 wheel drive to keep the backhoe from pulling the tractor back even with the bucket down and the outriggers down with the dirt pad side down. I am not able to use the hoe to move while in 4 wheel.

/ Now able to move tractor from backhoe position. Push Button, 3D Parts, Should have come from the factory this way. #14  
Sounds like a neat solution that could be handy at times.

I too generally move with the backhoe, but have found many occasions that a bit of tractive motion to be beneficial.

On larger hoes that I have owned (torque converter trans), I’d reach and pop it into gear, use the hand throttle to get just enough revs to get her to move forward, slow engine down and pop back to neutral.

Not all digging allows for dipper push, nor is it always the best method for a particular task.

/ Now able to move tractor from backhoe position. Push Button, 3D Parts, Should have come from the factory this way.
Well,

Figure I would update this. I used this for the first time today, in a water logged yard, after the drainage failed. Had to dig out about 20-30 feet of a ditch, then dig about 3 feet down till I found the pipes.

for giggles I tried to move it with the bucket, which promptly left a 2 foot hole, where I ripped the lawn out, and moved roughly 2 inches.

that said, the controls are amazing, is it an excavator? no not at all, it takes a couple seconds to get it moving, but what took an hour and was extremely frustrating (and the reason I made this) turned into about 10 minutes of work, I moved the tractor 20-30 times and it worked great.

Went from being annoying to truly enjoying using it now.

/ Now able to move tractor from backhoe position. Push Button, 3D Parts, Should have come from the factory this way. #16  
Well,

Figure I would update this. I used this for the first time today, in a water logged yard, after the drainage failed. Had to dig out about 20-30 feet of a ditch, then dig about 3 feet down till I found the pipes.

for giggles I tried to move it with the bucket, which promptly left a 2 foot hole, where I ripped the lawn out, and moved roughly 2 inches.

that said, the controls are amazing, is it an excavator? no not at all, it takes a couple seconds to get it moving, but what took an hour and was extremely frustrating (and the reason I made this) turned into about 10 minutes of work, I moved the tractor 20-30 times and it worked great.

Went from being annoying to truly enjoying using it now.

I'm impressed with your project.

Some TLBs do have the feature you describe of being able to engage the drive when the seat is reversed. Kubota puts it on some of their TLBs and calls theirs the "Backhoe Crawling Mode". It's a lever that engages F/R and gives it just enough throttle so that it will move slowly. Sometimes I use that to move around and sometimes the hoe bucket. It just depends on the situation. I probably owned it for a year before discovering it had a crawling mode. Now I use it a lot.

Several people said they use their backhose with the brakes on and FEL bucket down...which makes me wonder why put the brakes on when the stabilizers lift the rear tires off the ground anyway? What am I missing there?

I wonder which commercial TLBs have Kubota's TLB crawl mode? My JD310 - one of the construction world's most popular backhoes - didn't have that feature, or I missed it.

rScotty

Last edited:
   / Now able to move tractor from backhoe position. Push Button, 3D Parts, Should have come from the factory this way.
Several people said they use their backhose with the brakes on and FEL bucket down...which makes me wonder why put the brakes on when the stabilizers lift the rear tires off the ground anyway? What am I missing there?
I assume they are in 4x4 mode, and it help keeps the front tires from rolling.

but yes its so wet here, that i didn't even drop the stabilizers yesterday, was able to dig without the tractor moving at all.

i find with how small my backhoe is, i constantly need to move the tractor to get a good position, as I can really only dig with the curl function

/ Now able to move tractor from backhoe position. Push Button, 3D Parts, Should have come from the factory this way. #18  
I can see this mod being handy also for attaching 3PH implements sans quick hitch. Similar functionality as a 3PH raise/lower button on the back of some of the newer large farm tractors.

A similar mod could be done to operate the 3PH on a CUT or SCUT and especially useful on a cabbed tractor. Yes, safety is a consideration anytime modifying controls and needs taken into account.

The only improvement I can think of regarding the OP's mod would be a three position switch where the center position would "center" the hydrostat pedal. Maybe could be done with limit switch(es) detecting the center position but might be in the realm of a solution looking for a problem.

/ Now able to move tractor from backhoe position. Push Button, 3D Parts, Should have come from the factory this way. #19  
Some have added a hand lever to the HST foot peddle to give crawl control while in the backhoe mode.

Outrigger pad design makes a big difference in getting the best position. Like the rubber pads for traction and height. Need about another 3-4” and slightly bigger foot print for soft ground. Not as wet as you but more slopes. Don’t have problem with standing water as much as where the water is running.

The only improvement I can think of regarding the OP's mod would be a three position switch where the center position would "center" the hydrostat pedal. Maybe could be done with limit switch(es) detecting the center position but might be in the realm of a solution looking for a problem.

adding limit switches would be a pain, that said it prolly wouldn't work for me. it would only work on level ground. i find i need to hold my tractor in place on hills, before the stabs go down, i find my pedal is all over the place, depending on the slop