Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #171  
I think there will always be a need for unions because there will always be employers that take advantage of their workers. I think there is a swing going back to the times of unsafe working conditions, lack of benefits, not being paid for hours worked, etc. and people will push back. We are seeing it now. We now know it wasn't stimulus keeping people from working. It was people recognizing their place of employment was no longer acceptable. We are still seeing people making 6 figures quitting to go somewhere else or going down a different path. It could get much much worse if you study how bad it was years ago.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #172  
Employer-provided health care in particular arose because of FDR enacting wage caps during his reign and then not only allowing for employers to not count money paid for employees' health care to be subject to the cap, it was also not subject to income tax. It continues to this day because the tax deductibility remains for health insurance premiums through employer provided insurance but not for self-provided insurance unless you fall below a certain AGI.

Wages today would likely be scarcely different for most people as there are few union shops around. Unless you work in a union shop or in a field where there are a lot of union shops (and thus your nonunion employer would need to compete with union wages to attract employees), unions don't affect your wages.

Nearly all of the rest are current in force due to federal and to a lesser extent state laws and regs, but the initial origin of those laws and regs can be debated.

Unions initially started because you had a small number of (relatively) big employers in an area, sometimes just one, and people could not easily move to other areas. The balance of power was very much in the hands of the employer(s) and as we all know, power WILL be abused. Unions as well as antitrust legislation were the initial response to this. As was noted above, unions had varied effects, some good, some bad, and some indifferent. (The antitrust legislation was widely thought to have been ineffective.) Arguably the automobile did far more to help improve working conditions as with them, employees could very easily vote with their feet and leave an area with poor employers and go elsewhere to work for better ones. I suspect this is why unions really declined after WWII- people could get much of the positives simply by moving and making employers compete for employees, but not having to deal with the associated negatives of a union.
Tell me about who created safer working conditions? I am all ears..

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #173  
That would be Teddy Roosevelt.

Most of the good unions supposedly did are things that are codified in law now. The myth that without unions everything would somehow revert is ludicrous. The bosses have fooled A bunch of people into thinking the only reason they have jobs and safety is because of them. Thing is, a ton of people in RTW states in non union careers are doing just fine. They can actually net raises because they do a good job. Promotions, too. If they don't like something, they can bring it up and work to resolve... or they can move to an even better job.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #174  
I think there will always be a need for unions because there will always be employers that take advantage of their workers. I think there is a swing going back to the times of unsafe working conditions, lack of benefits, not being paid for hours worked, etc. and people will push back. We are seeing it now. We now know it wasn't stimulus keeping people from working. It was people recognizing their place of employment was no longer acceptable. We are still seeing people making 6 figures quitting to go somewhere else or going down a different path. It could get much much worse if you study how bad it was years ago.
In a free market workers push back by leaving and the employer has to woo them back. Look at military manning for nearly any 1st world nation since WWII.

Curious how we know the "stimulus" isn't keeping people from working though.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #175  
That would be Teddy Roosevelt.

Most of the good unions supposedly did are things that are codified in law now. The myth that without unions everything would somehow revert is ludicrous. The bosses have fooled A bunch of people into thinking the only reason they have jobs and safety is because of them. Thing is, a ton of people in RTW states in non union careers are doing just fine. They can actually net raises because they do a good job. Promotions, too. If they don't like something, they can bring it up and work to resolve... or they can move to an even better job.
LMAO.Next..

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #176  
In a free market workers push back by leaving and the employer has to woo them back. Look at military manning for nearly any 1st world nation since WWII.

Curious how we know the "stimulus" isn't keeping people from working though.

Re: "Stimulus", I don't think it is an all or nothing thing. Certainly I know plenty of people who aren't working because of the gov't stimulus handouts. Frankly quite a few of the ones I know who fall in that group never did all that much anyway.

But I also know a few - not as many - who for the first time in their lives are enjoying the luxury of being able to step back and look at their jobs. Because of stimulus they are finally doing what their friends have been urging them to do .... look at what you are doing instead of feeling like they have to keep on working "no matter what". True, they aren't as few as the first group. But there are a few.

It's never all one way or the other.
rScotty

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #177  
The unions demand years ago 4 hours pay per month
as they say the average wage is so much and you know
for sure that figure is not correct! I for one will never
again work in a union shop! True story guy goes to work
finds a place to sleep and gets caught and the union says
you can't fire him! to me that's strickly BS!

willy

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #178  
Being that stimulus and eviction protections have ended, we still are not seeing a tsunami of unemployed rushing back to the job market.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #179  
The unions demand years ago 4 hours pay per month
as they say the average wage is so much and you know
for sure that figure is not correct! I for one will never
again work in a union shop! True story guy goes to work
finds a place to sleep and gets caught and the union says
you can't fire him! to me that's strickly BS!

willy
Great story willie keep them coming..Popcorn in hand..BS :poop: Tell us more about the greatest tractor ever made YANMAR..

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #180  
True story.....there are bad employees EVERYWHERE in any profession. Anywhere you look we see news of crooked CEOs, plant managers, banks, ponzi schemes, business owners, workers, non-workers, etc. Thank goodness there are also very good people in all places of employment trying their best to make it a better place.

Status
Not open for further replies.