Garage Heater

/ Garage Heater #1  

Dougryan

Bronze Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 3206
Hi. I have a 2 car garage that I would like to heat when I'm working out there in the winter. It is not insulated. I don't expect it to get into the 70's... just want it warm enough to work for a few hours without freezing fingers.
I've seen various types of heaters and I'm wondering which would be best.
I don't want a permanent unit connected to natural gas... but something portable with it's own fuel supply.
So, propane or kerosene?
Any particular make or model?

Thanks,
Doug

/ Garage Heater #2  
The Val6 Daystar is one that I have used in the past. It puts out a LOT of heat. They are sold through local dealers and on Amazon.

edit: it looks like Amazon has stopped selling them but NAPA has them. I just realized that you are local, so check with Kepner Equipment in Canandaigua.

Last edited:
   / Garage Heater #3  
I have a 2 burner that sits on top of a propane btl.. when it gets cold in SC..
No real need to have anything permanent down here..
I also put a fan BEHIND IT, on low, to blow the heat where I need it .. it works REALLY WELL..
I can get SEVERAL FULL 8 hr days on a “grill” bottle..

/ Garage Heater #4  
The kerosene torpedo heaters work very well to heat up a 2 car garage. Although with the price and availability of kerosene going in opposite directions, this might not be the best way to go.

/ Garage Heater #5  
Ditto for a small propane unit of any type.

/ Garage Heater #6  
Figure how much BTU you'll need then add 50%. You'll need the extra if you're using any flame for heat. You'll need to leave a door or window open for fresh air. If you don't, you WILL die. :cry:

/ Garage Heater #7  
Be careful of Carbon Monoxide with your heating source.

I installed a wall mount forced air propane furnace in my shop. Induction vented to outdoors through wall. I also put the thermostat on a manual timer and a thermostat cutout on the vehicle door. I use a large propane (30 gal?) cylinder for gas. The furnace cannot be left on inadvertently because of the timer when you leave and it will shut off any time someone opens the big door. Kids.... :)

/ Garage Heater #8  
A lot of the newer propane heaters are equipped with oxygen depletion sensors that will turn he heaters off if the 02 levels drop to an unsafe level but yes, it is always best to add a little fresh air to the area.

/ Garage Heater #9  
With no insulation in the ceiling, I would go with an infra-red propane heater.

/ Garage Heater #10  
Personally I much prefer permanently mounted heat sources but short of that I’d get a propane torpedo heater. A diesel torpedo heater will throw way more heat but you don’t need that volume and the propane is cleaner.

Last edited: