Dogs.

/ Dogs. #1  

JasperFrank

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1220
Aside from when I was very young, and my family had pure bred bull mastiffs and earlier dash-hounds, all my own later dogs have been mixed breed, pound retrieved dogs. These earlier kennel raised pure bred dogs, as I remember, were easy to deal with. Just off the shelf, here is your dog and it will behave. All of these pound dogs I later got, had problems. I would take on the problem dogs as we lived in the country and I thought I knew enough about training dogs that they would come around. Our current dog, is the best of dogs, yet he has his issues. He is getting old and still has his issues. He can't be around other dogs at all. He will immediately attack any dog smaller than him. I believe this now to be the most difficult area of having a pound dog. Some things, you can not train them out of, cause they are sort of fixed.. Especially about them being social to other dogs.
So, for the jury to decide, do I get my last dog, after this one passes, from a breeder/trainer and not the pound? Or does it make any difference?

Last edited:
   / Dogs. #2  
Our last one was killed about the time Covid hit. Now we are holding off until next year when we are retired. I like the IDEA of getting a rescue or pound dog, but I have had a similar experience.
My personal preference is the GSD (German Shepherd Dog). We have had 3 and they are loyal,protective, energetic and smart. Training is a breeze as they truly enjoy learning. The problem is they are energetic and smart. If you don't have the time and space for them, they will get into trouble. My wife wants to get a Golden. (we will have 2 total). We've had better luck with 2 dogs at a time. Probably because they are pack animals.

Good luck to you!

/ Dogs. #3  
All of my dogs have been smaller dogs. Less than 30 lbs. Many of them rescue. They all had problems. The worst was one that had to be on a leash or it ran away. None of them were biters. The last 3 dogs have been pure breds. Lhasa Apso was about 16 lbs and was attached to my wife. Loved boating. Last 2 have been Shih Tzu. Sassy is smallest dog we have owned. 8 lbs. Great lap dog. Does not hurt legs after laying on them for hours. Neither one have been barkers. Problem with them is new people are the best. I saw one explanation is if burglar broke into your house. It would show the burglar where all your jewelry is hid. They can also be fussy eaters. They also need grooming every 5 to 6 weeks. Smaller dogs tend to live longer. The last 2 lived over 15 years.
I see lots of people that have Boxers. Very loving dogs.

/ Dogs. #4  
Aside from when I was very young, and my family had pure bred bull mastiffs and earlier dash-hounds, all my own later dogs have been mixed breed, pound retrieved dogs. These earlier kennel raised pure bred dogs, as I remember, were easy to deal with. Just off the shelf, here is your dog and it will behave. All of these pound dogs I later got, had problems. I would take on the problem dogs as we lived in the country and I thought I knew enough about training dogs that they would come around. Our current dog, is the best of dogs, yet he has his issues. He is getting old and still has his issues. He can't be around other dogs at all. He will immediately attack any dog smaller than him. I believe this now to be the most difficult area of having a pound dog. Some things, you can not train them out of, cause they are sort of fixed.. Especially about them being social to other dogs.
So, for the jury to decide, do I get my last dog, after this one passes, from a breeder/trainer and not the pound? Or does it make any difference?
The biggest advantage a "breeder" has is the fact that because it's a dedicated breed that perhaps someone will spend money on, the dog is generally in the home as a puppy to be raised and "molded" by the house it's living in.

I also think your generalization that "here is your dog off the shelf and it will behave" (from a breeder) is WAY off the mark and not true. The behavior has more to do with the training at an early age vs the breed itself.

Will a child in foster care who is adopted out at age 8 vs age 16 have more or less "issues" than the older child adopted out of foster care?

Ironically enough, even babies who are adopted out after being removed from their birth mother can have more issues than you realize due to separation from their mother (not including perhaps behavioral issues passed down, that's way more than I would want to get into).

That said, even siblings born and raised in the same family who have been shown the exact care, love and discipline up until age 18 can turn out to be completely two different people, one with some great traits, the other with some horrible traits.

The above 3 paragraphs can be said the same for dogs IMO.

The issue with dogs is owning one costs money. A lot of people who get dogs shouldn't own dogs in the first place IMO (why do most end up in the "pound". The other issues with dogs is training at a young. You also hit the nail on socialization.

If you look for a "rescue dog", I'd take a look at groups who foster animals. When we fostered dogs and cats in our home, some animals would be with us up to a year before we found the animal a good home. The advantage of dogs in foster care is that as someone interested in adopting the animal, you should find out all about the animals traits, both good and bad. Perhaps even a dedicated breed rescue group. Keep in mind, dealing with people sometimes can be harder than dealing with the animal.

End of the day, a shelter is the WORST environment for a dog to be in for a host of reasons and isn't conducive to good behavior.

All 6 of our dogs currently with us have been "rescues". The biggest pain in the butt dog came from my neighbor (long story), who was an idiot himself (who thank God finally moved) and I don't blame the dogs behavior on the dog, but the owner. That said, two 11 year old sisters we took in from my MIL after my FIL passed away in January of this year. They were raised in our home as puppies and adopted out to my in laws at a "puppy age". 11 years later, they can still fight with each other like grumpy old sisters LMAO

My wife and sister were raised in the same family, shown the same morals and financial training along with a host of life skills. Funny enough, my wife and her sister are nothing alike, and thankfully I married my wife and not her sister LOL I just scratch my head on how they were raised in the same house.

Good luck in your search. The safe bet is to spend good money from a great breeder, but then the rest is up to you to train the dog that will increase the odds you shouldn't have "issues". Thing is, like humans, even then I honestly believe it can be a hit or miss, because like humans, no two dogs are alike.

/ Dogs. #5  
Father had a pure-bred Lab. Affectionate dog. Ate feces, rolled on dead animals and ran away at the drop of a hat.
Wife and I also partial to GSD's, and get them from the pound. I feel part of my calling in life is to save dogs.
None of the dogs perfect.
Maybe, dogs, like friends, we enjoy in spite of their faults. Just as they do us.
Incidentally Jasper, as I've gotten older, I've chosen older dogs. I have a better chance to out live them We can well imagine what will happen with the last dog, after I die.

/ Dogs. #6  
We have a rescue dog now...
Although the first couple weeks were difficult, and she's been on and off with her housebreaking, she's developed in a very loving puppy (big puppy!!). Still likes to chew, and not always on her toys.
Probably the biggest problem was my wife breaking her leg...Margeaux had really bonded with Suzette, but until Suzette's up and about, we really have to be careful about access. Margeaux is still a puppy...60 lb. puppy full of puppy enthusiasm
Would we get another rescue? Yeah, I think so...

/ Dogs. #7  
Sig made some good points.

I would add that breeds have traits and part of the difficulty in shelter dogs is you may not know the breed or you may know it’s X and Y but not what’s dominant. Hard to train a bird dog to guard goats as an example.

I think another part about mix breeds is you really have to figure out how much and what kind of stimulation that dog needs every day. I’ve got a Malinois now (both parents rescued through an organization dedicated to the breed so mine is unpapered) and he needs a lot of both exercise and mental stimulation EVERY DAY often twice a day or he goes bad. Other dog inside is a GSD, she could care less if she gets worked or not but she loves to work and go on runs etc. Then we’ve got the LGDs outside who come and sit and that’s about all you can train them to do but after proper exposure to critters they guard everything (although I’m pretty sure one snatches a duck from time to time). The level of drive is important to know, dog guys better than me can figure those levels out in very young dogs. Just because it’s 10 weeks old and sleeps in it’s kennel the whole time you’re at a shelter doesn’t mean it won’t be a holy terror the rest of its life due to high drive.

End of the day, I’ve had a lot of shelter dogs. I’ve had a lot of dogs I got out of the back of trucks at the super market (aging myself) and I’ve had pure bred dogs. I love qualities in each.

/ Dogs. #8  
Without question ...... The best love money can buy.

Attachments

• M&B (16).JPG
    M&B (16).JPG
    216.6 KB · Views: 89
   / Dogs. #9  
Sigarms says it's well. There are certainly some inherent traits with certain breeds, but you have to factor in individual genetics and the environment. We have had puppies and rescues. The way my wife has put it.

Puppy - They take a lot of work and cause lots of trouble that first year. But YOU are responsible for how that dog comes out more than any other factor. I have found in my limited experience the Bouchard test on GSD Error - Cookies Turned Off works. Not many people actually can get the opportunity to do this test. We got our pick of the litter of 11. Different people are better prepared to handle different behavior in dogs. Just like kids, you often need to treat them differently.

Rescue - You are inheriting someone else's problems. The dogs may be great, but many times they will have negative characteristics that the prior owners couldn't handle. We had one that killed livestock, but were able fix that. We had two that were known to have a history of escaping. That requires a lot of work, but is certainly able to be overcome too. Where to you want to put in the time and money?

/ Dogs. #10  
All of my dogs have been smaller dogs. Less than 30 lbs. Many of them rescue. They all had problems. The worst was one that had to be on a leash or it ran away. None of them were biters. The last 3 dogs have been pure breds. Lhasa Apso was about 16 lbs and was attached to my wife. Loved boating. Last 2 have been Shih Tzu. Sassy is smallest dog we have owned. 8 lbs. Great lap dog. Does not hurt legs after laying on them for hours. Neither one have been barkers. Problem with them is new people are the best. I saw one explanation is if burglar broke into your house. It would show the burglar where all your jewelry is hid. They can also be fussy eaters. They also need grooming every 5 to 6 weeks. Smaller dogs tend to live longer. The last 2 lived over 15 years.
I see lots of people that have Boxers. Very loving dogs.

Thanks for your story. We have 3 Shih Tzu Sgt. Pepper 17 (14 lbs) and the twins 2 years old, Sherpa (17lbs) and Karma (13 lbs) great breed. We are on our 3 set. We groom them every 6 weeks our groomer says they are the best. We think so too. The thing about having small dogs is like always have a puppy around and you know how people just love puppies. Our old guy is deaf and almost blind but we just deal with it and he only eats Fresh Pet dog food! We love our dogs❤️❤️❤️
F79146AC-C405-4525-91B9-39F22A633AF6.jpeg
1C1068D1-6E24-40E0-A525-DDB58B2DDEB5.jpeg
F79146AC-C405-4525-91B9-39F22A633AF6.jpeg
1C1068D1-6E24-40E0-A525-DDB58B2DDEB5.jpeg