Autumn olive and multiflora rose puller

/ Autumn olive and multiflora rose puller #11  

Attachments

• Grill guard sm.jpg
    Grill guard sm.jpg
    804.7 KB · Views: 555
Got any wider photos of where that frame goes further back from your grill guard? (I'd like to deflect low limbs before they get to me or the ROPS.)

/ Autumn olive and multiflora rose puller
Looks good. I have been surprised by the size of tree I can remove from the ground. If you haven't already had this happen, you need to be careful of a few things. Your puller does not have a top "push bar" that extends up a few feet and angles out. As you get more and more comfortable you may begin taking larger trees. My STP-25 didn't have one and I started pulling things 20' high. If it gets loose or pivots it is coming at you. I ended up with a face full of tree one day. If you find you are rocking a tree back and forth that doesn't want to come up, if you go in reverse TOO hard you'll do an endo on the front wheels. I see you have ballast which is good (as do I) but I still have done it and it never gets less sketchy. My grill is also still not protected and I did have a pin-oak limb come right through the plastic and luckily miss the radiator. Your tractor will push into things, but it can go through the grill and into the vitals.

I love the comparison of the twig vs. bush ;). It is a versatile tool.

LOL yes I learned from having some olive branches and leaves come over on me from the tree in my 4th picture. In reality that's probably about a large a tree as I'll pull because most of the olives here are no bigger that that one. I can see how you'd need to be extra careful on a tall tree with this puller.

Wow!! Looks like a handy tool. I am covered up with privet, this looks like it would really clear some privet out.
This thing would be great for pulling out privet!

Last edited:
   / Autumn olive and multiflora rose puller #13  
IMG_0321.JPG

Autumn olive eater and privet puller.

Agree the upper guard on the puller helps protect and carry larger trees.

/ Autumn olive and multiflora rose puller #14  
Smokeydog, is that a hydraulic unit? I would feel SOOO accomplished if I could pull out privet that size all day!!!

/ Autumn olive and multiflora rose puller #15  
All of this time I've been cutting by hand, and stump treating. I've even gone so far as to pull honeysuckle with a chain attached to the grab hooks on my pickup. You guys make it look too easy! 👍

/ Autumn olive and multiflora rose puller #16  
Got any wider photos of where that frame goes further back from your grill guard? (I'd like to deflect low limbs before they get to me or the ROPS.)
What you are asking about are called "Limb risers". They are common on forestry equipment. The work really well for sliding limbs up and over the operator station. Easier on the operator, nd easier on the trees than hoping the limbs will bend sideways around you.

I had them added 6 or 7 years ago (the grill guard is more recent). There is a guy that runs a fab shop a couple of miles down the road from me. He is a genius with this stuff. I had seen a larger tractor he did for a forester/logger in the area (full operator cage and engine guards, limb risers, belly pan, etc) I was so impressed I had him do mine as well. HE designs in things I would never have thought to ask for. Here is a better shot of the limb risers. They run up to the FOPS (falling object protection) above the operator station. It won't stop a whole tree dropping on me, but it and the limb risers have been handy. Now that I have them, I would never be without them for a tractor used regularly in the woods.

One thing I would change: I had him make the cover over the operator station out of expanded metal. I figured I wanted the upward visibility, so did not want a solid piece there. If I were doing it over, I'd have done most of it solid, with just the front 1/3 or 1/4 in expanded metal. I'd give up some of the straight up view (which I rarely use) in order to keep those little pieces of crud when I drive under a cedar tree from dropping through the expanded metal and down my neck.

Let me know if you want any more detail shots. Also check out this thread I started a while back about Forestry Mods - lots of good ideas, big and small, from several members here for making work in the woods easier.

Attachments

• Storm clean-up Pine log.jpg
    Storm clean-up Pine log.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 526
  • Tractor in Logging mode lr.jpg
    Tractor in Logging mode lr.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 210

Last edited:
  • Good Post
Reactions: jmc
   / Autumn olive and multiflora rose puller #17  
Smokeydog, is that a hydraulic unit? I would feel SOOO accomplished if I could pull out privet that size all day!!!

It’s Danuser Intimdator. Yes hydraulic off the 3rd function. Well designed with excavator teeth and cutting bars to break roots of bigger stuff. Cost more but does so much more.

Sure has saved much manual work. It’s the little stuff like olive, privet or multi flora rose where it where it really shines. Easy to see, reach, position and pull. Stack a pile then grab to haul off.

/ Autumn olive and multiflora rose puller #18  
Anyone want to sell their brush puller? Want one bad. Very few used on FB marketplace. There is one for $750, but it is 4 hours from me. Seems like one of those things that you only need for a little while. Once all the crap trees are gone seems like it would become obsolete.

/ Autumn olive and multiflora rose puller #19  
Anyone want to sell their brush puller? Want one bad. Very few used on FB marketplace. There is one for $750, but it is 4 hours from me. Seems like one of those things that you only need for a little while. Once all the crap trees are gone seems like it would become obsolete.
That's when you sell it to the next person - hopefully for something close to what you paid for it.

/ Autumn olive and multiflora rose puller #20  
--------------- Seems like one of those things that you only need for a little while. Once all the crap trees are gone seems like it would become obsolete.
I used mine last year after an early ice storm broke branches because the leaves were still on when it hit:
PA290007.JPG

Removing a broken branch after the the leaves fell the next month:
P1130001.png
P1130005.JPG
P1130010.JPG

Last edited: