At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #192  
Hmm. I wonder if velcro sticks to carpet?
Good question - a quick google -

What kind of carpet does Velcro stick to?​

Depending on your carpet surface, you may succeed in adhering an item to loop carpet (Berber style carpet) by affixing only the hook portion of the Velcro adhesive strip to the item.

But the real reason I came back to this thread is that I'd like to ask the TBN tool addicts -
Has it become worth it to buy a 3D printer?

I know they are expensive, like 100 gallons of diesel, and limited use, max print size may only be size of my hand span but I'm coming across an increasing number of items I'd like to use, like small shelves for my cameras or customized PPE. And often I read that I could print these at the local library.

Probably deserves a separate thread, but I type slow.

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #193  
But the real reason I came back to this thread is that I'd like to ask the TBN tool addicts -
It depends on what you're going to do with it and how familiar you are with CAD programs.

I bought a Creality CR-10 (can be had for under $300) a few years ago and used it heavily for a while printing objects others had designed - but after that initial use it's largely been sitting unused.

On the other hand a coworker who bought one slightly after I did (a bunch of us bought them after one coworker started showing up at work with some impressive looking with 3D printed models), and with the CAD programs he has made much more use of the printer. In his case he was using the CAD program to design parts in plastic that could then be cast (using the plastic model as a pattern similar to using wax in lost-wax casting), and then machined down to the appropriate size for final finishing & fitting.

Given he was in the process of building a sub-scale train (I forget the scale) large enough to ride on he was having to make a lot of unique parts and being able to design & prototype them with a 3D printer, and then cast the part slightly oversized (to end with the correct size part after cooling & machining) it was greatly reducing the time & cost needed to make parts.

So it depends on the plans for use, along with familiarity with & access to CAD programs (ones suitable for exporting models to 3D printers).

Though it's also worth pay attention to what materials the printer can handle as not all of them can print with all the types of plastics/materials available - and there are some pretty impressive/utilitarian materials available for printing. However, that also may not matter if the plastic part is going to be used as a pattern for casting metal (or other castable materials).

Which means the best answer I can give is "It depends." In my case it really hasn't been worth it (yet), in the coworker's case it quickly paid for itself in saved time & materials.

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #194  
I didn't realize they'd come down so far in price. Sounds like a cool toy to play with, but the reality is I'm not sure I could think of enough things I'd want to make with it, particularly given the (probably steep) learning curve for a CAD program (which I've never used), and the likely waste on projects that didn't come out right.

As far as having "enough" tools, my first reaction was you can never have too many tools. As I've gotten older and a bit arthritic (and especially once HF opened a store in the area) I've picked up some tools I never thought I'd need...an impact wrench and framing nailer come to mind. Have only used either of them a few times, but I've been glad I had them. Likewise with a MIG welder. Don't use it much, but it's nice to have when I do need it (probably ought to use it more 'cause my welding skills aren't the best :ROFLMAO:).

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #195  
And then if you've got the skills and space:
There's Ivan Miranda's stuff

and

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #196  
I didn't realize they'd come down so far in price. Sounds like a cool toy to play with, but the reality is I'm not sure I could think of enough things I'd want to make with it, particularly given the (probably steep) learning curve for a CAD program (which I've never used), and the likely waste on projects that didn't come out right.

As far as having "enough" tools, my first reaction was you can never have too many tools. As I've gotten older and a bit arthritic (and especially once HF opened a store in the area) I've picked up some tools I never thought I'd need...an impact wrench and framing nailer come to mind. Have only used either of them a few times, but I've been glad I had them. Likewise with a MIG welder. Don't use it much, but it's nice to have when I do need it (probably ought to use it more 'cause my welding skills aren't the best :ROFLMAO:).
I am trying to get rid of tools no longer used. Not one of the workers of this generation wants any tool that isn't battary operated and if good tool and battery is bad they toss also.
Skill type saws, recip saws, jig saws routers and table saws, radio arm saw. They have not learned how to use and don't care to learn.
I set on side of yard so can be seem by passing drivers and a sign FREE then in evening pick back up and put in trailer for the junk yard.
tractor parts same Just wonder in 10 more years what this country will be like. with no one knowing anything except the little hand phone is busted also.

ken
I couldn't agree more, but do have to say, while I'm by no means a spring chicken anymore (will be 40 in Jan) I still consider myself a worker of the generation and share the same concern you expressed about what the country will look like in the not so distant future, as just in the short time I've been around the decline in quality of design and materials in tools seems to become more rapid every passing year, not to mention the rapid loss among people my age and younger of the fundamental principals and standards which took several hundred years to learn and compile as to be widely accepted practices in nearly every trade and craft, as well as the lack of concern for, and lack of understanding of why the older tools were so much better in every way (except maybe for portability and weight)..

I spend a great deal of time and money on A) learning the uses of each tool I want and what processes are better accomplished by owning it, as well as the variations in design over the years and changes in parent company ownership through the years.. and B) diligently watching auction sites and estate sales, particularly those in rural areas associated with strong agricultural ties, because i would rather have a 75 year old craftsmen wrench or screw driver, or 75 year old rockwell belt driven joiner and table saw made out of American Steel, with cast top that will stay true until long after its been sold at my estate sale, and in the unlikely event it does need to be resurfaced its set up with the ability to adjust and re-calibrate every single working surface on it...

Funny thing is for the most part you can now pick up these far superiorly designed and constructed tools at auctions for pennies on the dollar of what they originally sold for, and generally for half the cost of the useless modern "equivalent" which has had all precision adjustments removed from the design and is now made out of plastic or some garbage alloy of sub-par recycled steel and god knows what else...

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #197  
I am trying to get rid of tools no longer used. Not one of the workers of this generation wants any tool that isn't battary operated and if good tool and battery is bad they toss also.
Skill type saws, recip saws, jig saws routers and table saws, radio arm saw. They have not learned how to use and don't care to learn.
I set on side of yard so can be seem by passing drivers and a sign FREE then in evening pick back up and put in trailer for the junk yard.
tractor parts same Just wonder in 10 more years what this country will be like. with no one knowing anything except the little hand phone is busted also.

ken
That being said next time you are getting rid of tools drop me a line I may be interested in it

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #198  
TBH I haven't read the entire thread...

What I will say is that I am a confessed tool/gadget TRAGIC. I'll purchase tools & such when I even think I may 'need it'. Subsequently, I have quite a number of tools, 'sets' of tools and 'kits' that have yet to be used. But I have them! :)))

And don't get me started on 'spares' in case I need them.

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #199  
That being said next time you are getting rid of tools drop me a line I may be interested in it
I didn't realize how long ago this started .but the electronic tools are is gone and the plumbing tools same. then 3 14 ft. trailer loads were sent to the scrap yard. A Kubota L295 has been traded for labor in installing new flooring in house-made wife happy.
the shop is almost empty what remaining tools are labeled to give to those of the family that would accept.
there is still a scrapyard of bent or mangled metal to be loaded.

This Covid mess has disrupted any plans to complete the clean-up.
A few days will make the 86 age where only expected to sit on the front porch and wave at neighbors going down the road.

The comment that" it all happened so fast " Property is now leased to the neighbor for cattle grazing and deer hunting.

When a lifetime of active life has to be changed is like stopping a train sure a lot of clanking and grinding takes place.
will continue to read TBM but never was too interested in sending comments.
ken