TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,761  
I looked on AmmoSeek for CCI 350 primers and it just laughed at me!
David from jax
I thought I had some in the stash, apparently they’re gone. But if you get desperate and you’re up my way let me know.
04BEE5A7-B4D5-403B-AE75-CE0E26B15E80.jpeg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,762  
I thought I had some in the stash, apparently they’re gone. But if you get desperate and you’re up my way let me know.
View attachment 717961
Sea2summit,
I appreciate that, however the 357-44 Bain and Davis uses Large magnum pistol primers. I have some in large pistol and large pistol magnum, however most of the load data I see calls for the CCI 350 and I am trying to fix an issue that I am pretty sure is related to other issues, but I wanted to cover my bases on everything.
Sometime when you aren't busy, send me a location of exactly where the left coast of Ga is! I travel over a lot of Ga, from time to time.
David from jax

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,763  
Assuming primers ought to be <$50/1000 and 100s can be nearly that much lately who'd PM another member and discuss trading vs $$ and dickering or gouging. (Just thinking what I might do ..)

btw, I downsized my primer store a while ago and won't be one to seek or offer, but members may be able to help each other out.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,764  
Any one have thoughts on 50gr GMX non-lead vs 70gr Speer RNSP for small white tails, in 223 Rem? I thought I ordered a box of 75gr Speer GDs but it turns out they where 75gr Speer TMJs. I actually double checked my order, and it was my mistake, not MidwayUSA, so that was plan A, now down to plan B, in 223Rem.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,765  
Any one have thoughts on 50gr GMX non-lead vs 70gr Speer RNSP for small white tails, in 223 Rem? I thought I ordered a box of 75gr Speer GDs but it turns out they where 75gr Speer TMJs. I actually double checked my order, and it was my mistake, not MidwayUSA, so that was plan A, now down to plan B, in 223Rem.
Either one, but neither past about ~150m. Children all started on .223 but second or third season I try to get them something bigger unless we’re in thick stuff.

Littlest took her first this year with a 50grn VMAX, as close as you could get to bang flop without an flop on the spot. Made about three jumps.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,766  
I know some people disagree, but here is my reasoning on the 223; its my most accurate gun, had the nicest scope, and I shoot it the most. I certainly have "better" options for power, and my son 99% of the time grabs my 270. He has a 6.5 Creed, but he doesn't really like the gun. Its a Savage Axis (not Axis II). I also have a 6.5 Grendel, but I've never really settled on a load I like for it. Either way, the 270 of mine will one day be his, and if that's what he wants to carry, I have no problem carrying the back up rifle. I could carry his Savage, but I dont really like the gun either. The Savage Axis stock is loosy, trigger is not great, and the barrel isn't threaded, so no suppressor either.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,767  
Out of curiosity, I know many people have Savage Axis rifles, what have you done to make them nicer? I thought a Boyd's Laminate stock would make the whole rifle feel nicer.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,768  
Made my Axis trigger work better than the $100 Timneys in my .223 & .243 Sav 10s with MCarbo's deluxe trigger kit. It's $20 US and reduces pull to ~3-4 lbs. A friend liked it so well he had me do his Axis .350 Legend too.

btw, I bought one Sav 10 with camo poly stock and put a camo Hogue on the other when I caught it on sale. Next time I order from MCarbo I plan to check out their stabilizer for earlier cross-webbed (curved TG) vs newer diagonal-web 'Ergo' stock with 'squared' TG.

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,769  
I know some people disagree, but here is my reasoning on the 223; its my most accurate gun, had the nicest scope, and I shoot it the most. I certainly have "better" options for power, and my son 99% of the time grabs my 270. He has a 6.5 Creed, but he doesn't really like the gun. Its a Savage Axis (not Axis II). I also have a 6.5 Grendel, but I've never really settled on a load I like for it. Either way, the 270 of mine will one day be his, and if that's what he wants to carry, I have no problem carrying the back up rifle. I could carry his Savage, but I dont really like the gun either. The Savage Axis stock is loosy, trigger is not great, and the barrel isn't threaded, so no suppressor either.
Counting next month's opener, I've used an AR platform 6.5 Grendel for six whitetail seasons. Because of that, I've basically abandoned the other traditional whitetail rifles I've used over the years (.308 Win and .30-06).

I'd originally built it for my wife before we retired back in northern MN. After getting here, she decided she would process the deer as long as I shot them. I took "her" Grendel and never stopped using it. It also does well on the local coyotes.

I've been loading Nosler 120 gr Ballistic Tips over a charge of BLC-2, a CCI 400 primer, and Lapua brass. Muzzle velocity is at 2531 FPS from a 24" barrel at about 80 degrees. I've not checked it since using it in the colder MN weather. I don't think it is off very much as the ballistic table I use seems to agree with real world results. Most of my shots average between 100 and 180 yds. I've pushed a Hornady 95 gr V-Max to 2910 FPS with very good results....well under 1 MOA. I feel a little more comfortable using the 120 gr bullet for the local whitetails.

I've yet to need more than 1 shot on a whitetail. Some have dropped where they stood while others have made it about 50 yds before piling up. I've yet to have an exit wound with the Nosler BTs although I've had one jacket end up under the skin on the far side. They shred the lungs and will take a big chunk out of the heart when hit. I'm very satisfied with this load since it causes so little meat damage but yet has excellent performance.

Just thought I'd pass the info along in case it might help you.

Attachments

• 65grendel-19.jpg
    65grendel-19.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,770  
My wife had cataract surgery 8 days ago, other one next week. She's worn glasses 60 years but paying the extra $3,000 for corrective lens implants. Now out of her good eye she says wow, everything is so clear, colors bright, etc. She can't wait getting the other one done.
I hope she is doing well!
David from jax