TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,771  
Any one have thoughts on 50gr GMX non-lead vs 70gr Speer RNSP for small white tails, in 223 Rem? I thought I ordered a box of 75gr Speer GDs but it turns out they where 75gr Speer TMJs. I actually double checked my order, and it was my mistake, not MidwayUSA, so that was plan A, now down to plan B, in 223Rem.
I was hoping I had some that I could offer you, but the largest thing I have is a 60gr. I have a bunch of 55gr VMax but that is starting to get a little bit light.
David from jax

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,772  
Assuming primers ought to be <$50/1000 and 100s can be nearly that much lately who'd PM another member and discuss trading vs $$ and dickering or gouging. (Just thinking what I might do ..)

btw, I downsized my primer store a while ago and won't be one to seek or offer, but members may be able to help each other out.
The problem with sending them back and forth is that they require a hazmat designation/fee

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,773  
The problem with sending them (primers) back and forth is that they require a hazmat designation/fee

UPS man told me otherwise just weeks ago over the counter and gave me a strip of b & w stickers to put on boxes myself next time I ship ammo and/or primers. (I'd lamented on my 2nd visit in weeks and the fella said ~9 of 10 shipments lately were ammo etc like mine, too)

USPS won't ship ammo, but will still ship long guns out of state for me, three since August. Yes, they are always addressed to FFLs who have agreed to accept and record the transfers.

Everybody requires haz-mat for smokeless powder. Black powder must also ship ground only. Some carriers may not ship primers. I always declare contents truthfully and won't risk a $75,000 federal fine to cheat on the rules.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,774  
UPS man told me otherwise just weeks ago over the counter and gave me a strip of b & w stickers to put on boxes myself next time I ship ammo and/or primers. (I'd lamented on my 2nd visit in weeks and the fella said ~9 of 10 shipments lately were ammo etc like mine, too)

USPS won't ship ammo, but will still ship long guns out of state for me, three since August. Yes, they are always addressed to FFLs who have agreed to accept and record the transfers.

Everybody requires haz-mat for smokeless powder. Black powder must also ship ground only. Some carriers may not ship primers. I always declare contents truthfully and won't risk a $75,000 federal fine to cheat on the rules.
What did the B&W stickers say?

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,775  
What did the B&W stickers say?

These are what the UPS counter guys put on my boxes of ammo along with a shipping label after weighing and declaring the charge. They have replaced the orange "ORM-D" stickerss of the past. ("other regulated matl's - domestic") Sorry for pic size, just how it happened.

IMG_2082.JPG

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,776  
These are what the UPS counter guys put on my boxes of ammo along with a shipping label after weighing and declaring the charge. They have replaced the orange "ORM-D" stickerss of the past. ("other regulated matl's - domestic") Sorry for pic size, just how it happened.

View attachment 718169
Ahh, Ok the limited Quantity designation.. same as for shipping ammo. Thanks for the info.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,779  
The problem with sending them back and forth is that they require a hazmat designation/fee
Sending powder and primers or ammo can be interesting, depending on just who you talk to at any of the shipping companies.
There is also another way, which is to move them via private vehicles. With the help of several friends, I moved over 10,000 primers, a dozen pounds of powder and a bunch of Ammo from the Great Lakes area to Florida and it never hit a commercial vehicle. Just got to plan, and have patience! Find out who is going where, who can store it when it gets there and find a way to get it to the next stop. I got impatient and made a trip to SE TN to grab it from a friends house because I had some time off, which is something I seldom have.
Keep your ears to the ground and think outside the box!
David from jax

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,780  
I purchased a Ruger Blackhawk that had been modified from how it came out of the factory. The 357 barrel had been shortened from 6.5 to 4.5 inches, trigger work had been done making it break about 2.25 lbs instead of the 4.5 lbs from the factory. The chambers had been reamed out to accept the larger 44 mag brass that was necked down to 357. Grips had been changed.
First trip to the range was a disaster! Cases split, light primer strikes were common with almost half of the bullets that we attempted to send downrange. Split cases were pin-pointed to one particular type of brass. The new brass did not have splitting problems. The light primer strikes were addressed by hammer springs supplied by "this old grind" (thanks again!!) I tried a 17 lb spring, went back to the range and only missed fired on one single chamber. Out of curiosity, I called Ruger to ask what spring weight they shipped them out with, but they couldn't tell me. I called Wolf Springs who manufactured the replacement springs and they told me Ruger Blackhawks come with a 22-23 lb springl I changed out the 17lb I had installed with a 19 to see if it will improve the light primer strikes. Waiting on time to go back to the range again.
Anyone else buy a used gun that took a while to get back to sending bullets downrange?
David from jax