Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,141  
I usually leave all the branches in the woods too, mostly to just rot, but in the late fall I will go through with the 4 wheeler and a trailer and help myself to nice dry kindling wood. I don't use a lot of it, but I do this time of the year when I might run the stove for the colder days, then let it die out now that its 60 degrees again. Once it stays 40 I run the stove nonstop for the most part. I keep these piles of branches all over, mostly in the clearing i just made from dropping a large tree.

This year I tried something I think I got from OP. On my blow downs, I just cut them at the stump and let the leaves pull all the moisture out. Surprisingly the leaves stayed green for months, but did turn brown earlier than everything else. I will see if it helped dry the logs any in the next few weeks. Most were red(black) oak so the brown leaves are still on the branches, but they lose their leaves late anyway.

This tree is presplit...

Attachments

• KIMG5506.JPG
    KIMG5506.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 69
  • KIMG5504.JPG
    KIMG5504.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 77
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,142  
I have a stream like that on my place, but it starts and finishes completely on my property! Comes out of the ground as a spring, goes through the woods, travels through both my ponds back through the woods and empties into the river that borders one end of the property.
Nice... I have spring fed ponds, they all over flow out, making a really nice stream that crosses my property and ends up going into a bigger creek that flows to a big river... Eventually, the river makes it's way to the great lakes...

The one pictured above, starts just off my property and it also flows to the same creek/river/great lakes... It IS really nice having year around streams on a piece of property.

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,143  
Nice... I have spring fed ponds, they all over flow out, making a really nice stream that crosses my property and ends up going into a bigger creek that flows to a big river... Eventually, the river makes it's way to the great lakes...

The one pictured above, starts just off my property and it also flows to the same creek/river/great lakes... It IS really nice having year around streams on a piece of property.

SR
Yes indeed it is!! I also have springs all over the place feeding it and my ponds. Stuff here all flows to the Gulf..

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,144  
Another thing which leaving slash in the woods does is create habitat for all type of creatures. Rabbits love the softwood tops for a couple of years until they start breaking down and snow pushes them down to the ground. Go out and turn over a pile which you left 4 years ago and notice how nice and moist it is; also how many salamanders, worms, and others have made their homes there.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,145  
Out cutting today to add to my firewood reserves for next year. This is a new one, a Sweetgum tree, Never cut one for firewood before we will see how it does. I will say one thing for it its very heavy wood, we'll see how it dries.
Oh, and I'm loving my new Echo 501P chainsaw, I sold my Stihl MS362 because it was getting to be bigger than I liked. This one has a good power to weight ratio for me. I know its probably a medium or even a small saw for some of you guys but for me it seems just about perfect. If I run into a tree its to small for that suits me just fine, I'll leave it standing. Oh, its just on the second tank of gas so its not even broke in yet!

IMG_6532.JPGIMG_6533.JPGIMG_6534.JPGIMG_6535.JPGIMG_6536.JPG

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,146  
I've never owned a bad piece of equipment with the Echo name going back 40 years...

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,147  
Out cutting today to add to my firewood reserves for next year. This is a new one, a Sweetgum tree, Never cut one for firewood before we will see how it does. I will say one thing for it its very heavy wood, we'll see how it dries.
Oh, and I'm loving my new Echo 501P chainsaw, I sold my Stihl MS362 because it was getting to be bigger than I liked. This one has a good power to weight ratio for me. I know its probably a medium or even a small saw for some of you guys but for me it seems just about perfect. If I run into a tree its to small for that suits me just fine, I'll leave it standing. Oh, its just on the second tank of gas so its not even broke in yet!

View attachment 720194View attachment 720195View attachment 720196View attachment 720197View attachment 720198

Didn't know anything about sweet gum so I looked it up and found this. Maybe you should saw a couple boards too.

"Sweet Gum Firewood​

There are many people who choose not to burn sweet gum firewood.

Since the wood is difficult to split and stack compared to other popular firewood types, some view it as a waste of time and energy.

Firewood is a topic of many different opinions.

Just because sweet gum might not be the best firewood around doesn't mean you can't use it.......it just takes a little more effort.

Sweet gum trees are found throughout the eastern United States.

It's considered a valuable tree used for lumber and furniture production, as well as for ornamental purposes."

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,148  
Didn't know anything about sweet gum so I looked it up and found this. Maybe you should saw a couple boards too.

"Sweet Gum Firewood​

There are many people who choose not to burn sweet gum firewood.

Since the wood is difficult to split and stack compared to other popular firewood types, some view it as a waste of time and energy.

Firewood is a topic of many different opinions.

Just because sweet gum might not be the best firewood around doesn't mean you can't use it.......it just takes a little more effort.

Sweet gum trees are found throughout the eastern United States.

It's considered a valuable tree used for lumber and furniture production, as well as for ornamental purposes."

gg
Oh sure.... now you tell me!! I'll find out in the next day or two, I'll finish bucking it up, move it to the splitter and give it a go.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,149  
I've never owned a bad piece of equipment with the Echo name going back 40 years...
I've had a little 301 top handle saw for many years and its still going!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,150  
I only burn the types of firewood that make heat.... Poplar burns weird in my tarm, but it's great in the fireplace.