Why do we keep driving to far away stores that are understocked, understaffed and don't care?

/ Why do we keep driving to far away stores that are understocked, understaffed and don't care? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
I recently spent 40 minutes driving to a big box store to get some auto parts, filters, household goods and supplies. I came back with only a headache. The big name store is in a smallish town so the auto parts were marked up higher than what I expected, but hey, I was already there.

It was hard to find the electric razor head I needed and I could not find a single employee to help. I read the package for a while and then a young employee came by and answered "if we have it, it's on the shelf" to each question. Heck, I could work there. When I asked where shop vac filters were, he told me construction and lumber. I knew that was wrong so had him look it up and it was somewhere entirely different. What a confusing mess and it happens more often than not.

So I went home, looked everything up on line and clicked away. My stuff will get here Wednesday, a (probably) nice guy will bring it to the door and I could have saved the wear and tear and gas money on something meaningful like intellectual consciousness :).

Seriously, why even bother going to brick and mortar stores when we are more knowledgeable than them, when staying home is easier and no driving is required? Are they trying to self destruct?

/ Why do we keep driving to far away stores that are understocked, understaffed and don't care? #2  
And people wonder why they’re going extinct. There’s a good reason why Amazon is the largest retailer in the world.

/ Why do we keep driving to far away stores that are understocked, understaffed and don't care? #3  
I'm gladly paying the folks near by a small markup because they have it, they're going to put those dollars right back into my community, and I don't have to support Amazon. I do buy stuff online but I'm trying to reduce that even further. Big name stores are all similar to what you described, it's pointless to go in there and risk your life for nothing:rolleyes:

/ Why do we keep driving to far away stores that are understocked, understaffed and don't care? #4  
Seriously, why even bother going to brick and mortar stores when we are more knowledgeable than them, when staying home is easier and no driving is required? Are they trying to self destruct?
Maybe a regional thing? Most of the box stores anywhere near me seem to be adequately staffed, though most still seem to be advertising for help. As far as employees not "knowing anything", what else is new? You can't reasonably expect every employee to know where every item is...lots of item placement seems to defy logic even in the best of stores.
Stocking seems to vary by store...the Walmart closest to me has lots of empty shelves, another one 30 or so miles away was fine.

/ Why do we keep driving to far away stores that are understocked, understaffed and don't care? #5  
Online shopping for me. I hate to support amazon but sometimes you do what you got to do.

/ Why do we keep driving to far away stores that are understocked, understaffed and don't care? #6  
I'm gladly paying the folks near by a small markup because they have it, they're going to put those dollars right back into my community, and I don't have to support Amazon. I do buy stuff online but I'm trying to reduce that even further. Big name stores are all similar to what you described, it's pointless to go in there and risk your life for nothing:rolleyes:

You must have better private owned stores then there are here. Big box stores are usually the only chance I have of getting something. The private owed store usually doesn’t have it or is 50 percent higher.

/ Why do we keep driving to far away stores that are understocked, understaffed and don't care? #7  
Yup, the only thing is if the quality can easily be decreased by delivery. If I'm buying something that can be easily mangled I'll try and at least pick it up at the store.
But what is worse to me is the vast number of things no longer available at the store but only available by delivery. Just had to buy 3 small but common saw chains. Not available at the, store, but 2 day delivery.

/ Why do we keep driving to far away stores that are understocked, understaffed and don't care? #8  

Seriously, why even bother going to brick and mortar stores when we are more knowledgeable than them, when staying home is easier and no driving is required? ...
Because there's always a Chick-fil-A nearby. That's why. :p

/ Why do we keep driving to far away stores that are understocked, understaffed and don't care? #9  
You must have better private owned stores then there are here. Big box stores are usually the only chance I have of getting something. The private owed store usually doesn’t have it or is 50 percent higher.
Three places I use local are the hardware store, auto parts, and carhartt shop (how our town of less than 5k has one I’ll never understand). Hardware place is run buy a guy who’s gotta be 90 now, he has it or can tell you exactly when he can get it…or he’ll order it anyway just so he can heckle you when he has it (yes he’ll remember six months later when it shows up). Auto parts store has what I need, had to have them order one part it arrived the second business day after. Carhartt place has a pretty decent selection or they get in their order and they’re prices are better than anything I can find day to day online. Overall, I feel better dealing with them.

/ Why do we keep driving to far away stores that are understocked, understaffed and don't care? #10  
Just like when your wife wants to go to Kohl's. There's always a Dicks sporting goods and a Petsmart next door, a fast food place or two in the parking lot, and a lumber/home improvement place across the street.