Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #1  

Raul-02

Veteran Member
the armpit of the entire universe New Jersey
Tractor
kioti DK4710 SE HST CAB
First; if you don't know what you are doing (read: there's gotta be an optimal order of operations) then hooking one up to the 3-point is a real beast of a job.
Second; Hanging it by a rope from a tree on sloped ground is not the best storage option.
Third; Go slow stupid. Speed is not your friend when working with powerful hydraulics and heavy equipment.
Fourth; there is a reason they put that little valve under the front of the seat.
Fifth; get yourself an old school manual post hole digger to get the loose dirt out of the last foot of the hole

I did get one post in.

I got a question for the initiated.
Do you bother making sure your angle of entry is as vertical as you can by moving the tractor as you lower the auger? I did but I sort of wonder about the wisdom of it.

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #2  
You have learned all the lessons in one day. Congratulations! Tomorrow you should get plenty of posts in.

When I dig holes, I like to have a spotter so they can help line things up and we do move the tractor as we dig to keep the hole as straight as possible.

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #3  
Yes, my wife watches the auger as it goes down and motions me to move the tractor forward as it goes deeper. One trick to minimize how much dirt you have to dig out with the manual post hole digger: Turn your auger off before you lift the auger out. Much of the dirt will stay on the auger blade.

I assume you are putting in wooden posts. I pre-mark the ground level required on the posts before hand with a felt pen so I can get the hole to the right depth easy. I also over drill the auger holes and keep sand in the tractor bucket to fill the hole back to the right depth. I also make a tripod out of 2 x 2 sticks (attached to the pole with construction screws) to hold the pole straight and level while backfilling.

Backfilling is the hardest and most time consuming part of putting a post in. I went from a 9 inch to 13 inch diameter auger to allow for more error in hole location and straightness, and to allow more room for a tamping stick. Contrary to one's intuition, it is actually quicker and easier to backfill and tamp an oversized hole.

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #4  
First; if you don't know what you are doing (read: there's gotta be an optimal order of operations) then hooking one up to the 3-point is a real beast of a job.
Second; Hanging it by a rope from a tree on sloped ground is not the best storage option.
Third; Go slow stupid. Speed is not your friend when working with powerful hydraulics and heavy equipment.
Fourth; there is a reason they put that little valve under the front of the seat.
Fifth; get yourself an old school manual post hole digger to get the loose dirt out of the last foot of the hole

I did get one post in.

I got a question for the initiated.
Do you bother making sure your angle of entry is as vertical as you can by moving the tractor as you lower the auger? I did but I sort of wonder about the wisdom of it.

You'll get better at it. Let me know when you come up with a good way to store the post hole digger. Strapping it to a tree isn't much better than hanging it from a rope.
Yes, I move the tractor back and forth when digging and also sometimes when pulling the auger up if it is deep.
Go slowly.

Oversized holes are much easier to dig and to fill than perfectly sized holes.. A bucket full of good compactable sandy clay, a shovel, a level, and a tamping rod makes it easy to backfill.
Go slowly.

Oh, and about those fancy augers with the replaceable offset digging teeth and tips - if you have rocky soil they are not only more expensive, they are worth it.

Finally, I won't have to say "go slowly" ever again after the first time you get an auger stuck.

good luck,
rScotty

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #5  

You have learned all the lessons in one day.
Not all the lessons,there's another.
Sixth; get yourself an old fashion pipe wrench and cheater pipe to "unscrewuch"the auger when it catch's a root and screw's itself into the ground. :cry:

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #7  
Why mine (3 point digger) hangs in the tree and I use a post pounder (Shaver). Much easier to drive them in. In fact, my Shaver will drive in railroad ties. Should sell it (the one hanging in the tree). Nice thing about a post pounder is, one person operation, always drives straight and vertical and you set the drive depth the way you want it.

Downside is.. They are expensive and you need a pretty good sized tractor to operate on so little tractors (CUT and smaller) are out. I can set 100 posts in a day, no issue, no holes, no backfill no helper.

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #8  
Not all the lessons,there's another.
Sixth; get yourself an old fashion pipe wrench and cheater pipe to "unscrewuch"the auger when it catch's a root and screw's itself into the ground. :cry:
If it gets real stuck, leave it there and use it for a post...lol Back when I used mine, I'd break the shear bolt when it got hung up. Of course with 100 pto horses, that was easy.

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #9  
With my previous 3 point auger I set the auger exactly straight, then pulled the tractor forward ever so slightly. By the time the auger was down 36" the hole was straight down. For 6" posts like standard split rail, I use a 9" diameter auger.
I always stored the post hole digger in all separate parts, and installed in the order of yoke, boom, gear box, auger.

I redid my fence this past summer and splurged on a ssqa loader mounted hydraulic auger. That thing is awesome.

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #10  
All well and good provided you have enough flow. Little tractors = little flow. Little flow = poor hydraulic motor performance.