PTO Generator

/ PTO Generator #1  

WRX

Tractor
Cub Cadet 8354SS
Does anyone have any experience with a PTO powered generator? I like the idea of not having another separate engine to maintain or exercise.

/ PTO Generator #2  
Does anyone have any experience with a PTO powered generator? I like the idea of not having another separate engine to maintain or exercise.
yea sure, had one for a backup, remote work for years. just a 10kw I believe.

Worked fine for the remote stuff, was fairly easy to store and hook up.

I believe you will hear from people that will treat them like a backup, and let them run unattended. Perfectly fine if your tractor has overtemp and low oil shutdown. Other wise a very high risk way to gen electricity when untended.

If you have further questions, please fire away:)

Best,

ed

/ PTO Generator #3  
I've had one in use many times. More than just house backup. Portable power anywhere. You don't need to run it 24/7. Just fire it up long enough to get a water reserve, heat or cool in the house, batteries charged, refrigerator cold and shut it down. Fire it up again after a few hours or more. Those thinking they need to run all the time are way off track. Sure you might need to use your tractor to do something else. So, disconnect and go do something else. Keep doors sealed, refrigerators closed, showers to a minimum. Then go to bed and fire up in the morning. The ONLY drawback I see is who is able to hook it up to the tractor, get it to a load center, and switch it over safely. I recommend a Kill-O-Watt device to check frequency because that tends to be important for motors. But don't run it continuously, that's the height of foolishness. I could run my 25kW unit off my 22 hp JD F-935 lawnmower. Nowhere near enough hp to generate 25kW, but who has that kind of need ? Diesel, not gas, easy to store and transport, plenty of reserve power, and relatively quiet in my case. I needed to put a concrete block on the seat to keep it going. Sold it for a lot more than I paid for it. Wish I had it back.

Attachments

• PIC00015.JPG
    PIC00015.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 207
   / PTO Generator #5  
I use a 16KW and back-feed it through my welder plug. Best gen set I have ever owned.

/ PTO Generator #6  
I have a Baumalight 12KW. It provides very clean power thru my transfer switch when the power goes out. This has been a great solution for the 5-7 power outages we get each year. Normally I run the generator on my 4052 tractor in E-PTO mode. The 100 horse in the picture is just a tad overkill!

IMG_0952.jpg

/ PTO Generator #7  
Lots of debate here on which way to go;I purchased a PTO 10k;I know my tractor will start and will have fuel.

/ PTO Generator #8  
I replaced my gasoline 7kw portable a year or so ago with a 15kw PTO Winco generator. I just got tired of storing gasoline and cycling it every year or two. Diesel is so much easier to transport and store.
I have only used the PTO generator once while testing, and it worked fine. I have a manual transfer switch on one 200 amp panel that has the circuits I want on it (we did move a few circuits over from the other 200 amp panel).

/ PTO Generator #9  
I have and use now a 7500 watt gasoline generator. I also have two 4500 watt belt drive generators that I could use with a PTO. It would take a little fabbing on my part to make them work as PTO driven generators but I like the idea. My current generator has a 14 HP engine. My tractor, a 40 year old Yanmar YM2310, has 23 HP at the PTO shaft. Even though the tractor HP is higher it is diesel and should be better on fuel. I wonder though if it would use less fuel than the 14 HP gas engine.
Eric

/ PTO Generator #10  
You are going to get 50 more responses and about half will recommend PTO generator and other half will recommend stand alone.... Just buy what you think best for your situation...I personally am in stand alone generator half as I may have to use tractor for some work and if its tied up with running generator its going to be a problem....